A level results

I am always so pleased to hear about the results because as a retired teacher and an ex-Chair of Governors of a High School I know how much work they all put in and I think their efforts need acknowledgement.

Don't think I have forgotten those who don't get the results they hope for and feel they should have got. They have worked for them as well and to them I say education doesn't stop when you leave the classroom. Life is education.
If you want to try again, go for it. I didn't get what were then '0' levels until I was 29 years old and had 4 children I went on to Teacher training and didn't get a BA (Hons) degree until I was 60 so don't ever give up on your dreams. Just keep trying. Good luck to everyone looking at A level and next week GCSE's. :-)
Congratulations!

And, for engaging in that most American of terms…sticktoitiveness!!

Like you, I was a “mature” student for some of my education, but it has helped make my life better than it otherwise would have been.

Even though I’m not sure I needed all the education I have on paper, I feel like it has always given me the confidence to be more than I ever thought I would have been as a nipper.

10 Os, 4 As, 2 BSc degrees and an MSc later, I have a job that used to require a BS, but now requires the technical qualifications of the trade rather than the somewhat antiquated academic yardsticks of yesteryear.

Conversely, I also firmly believe a trade certificate (especially a master electrician, plumber or carpenter certificate), can lead to as outstanding, fulfilling and lucrative is a career as almost anything else today. In fact, I wish I was considerably better at all 3 of those skills!

For years, I’ve read where grade inflation has devalued the O & A level grades of today compared to the past. I have no idea how true that is, because I am no longer involved or concerned about it, but my Uni offer was 5 points, which was ridiculously low back then, so I assume the grades needed to get in have gone up accordingly(?).

Congratulations to everyone on their results and my best wishes to all. And, to those who are disappointed with their results or didn’t get into their first choice Uni or program, never fear. I may have some educational qualifications, but I didn’t even START my current career until I was 31, so you still have another decade or more on me to find your feet. Never stop pushing and never stop learning.

Good luck to one and all!

Congratulations!

And, for engaging in that most American of terms…sticktoitiveness!!

Like you, I was a “mature” student for some of my education, but it has helped make my life better than it otherwise would have been.

Even though I’m not sure I needed all the education I have on paper, I feel like it has always given me the confidence to be more than I ever thought I would have been as a nipper.

10 Os, 4 As, 2 BSc degrees and an MSc later, I have a job that used to require a BS, but now requires the technical qualifications of the trade rather than the somewhat antiquated academic yardsticks of yesteryear.

Conversely, I also firmly believe a trade certificate (especially a master electrician, plumber or carpenter certificate), can lead to as outstanding, fulfilling and lucrative is a career as almost anything else today. In fact, I wish I was considerably better at all 3 of those skills!

For years, I’ve read where grade inflation has devalued the O & A level grades of today compared to the past. I have no idea how true that is, because I am no longer involved or concerned about it, but my Uni offer was 5 points, which was ridiculously low back then, so I assume the grades needed to get in have gone up accordingly(?).

Congratulations to everyone on their results and my best wishes to all. And, to those who are disappointed with their results or didn’t get into their first choice Uni or program, never fear. I may have some educational qualifications, but I didn’t even START my current career until I was 31, so you still have another decade or more on me to find your feet. Never stop pushing and never stop learning.

Good luck to one and all!
Well said and brilliant. Life is always educational. :-)

Just a reminder for any young uns worrying.

Nobody, not one employer, has ever asked to see my A level or degree certificates.

Could’ve just made the whole thing up if I wanted.
On the other hand you will not be employed in many professions without producing proof of your qualifications.

My daughter starts secondary school in September I left in 85! I have no idea what to expect in the coming years, Christ I struggled helping her with her junior school stuff, whatever she chooses to do is upto her, I had a massive career change at 32 never expected to join the fire service wasn’t even on my radar, I always find it silly that kids are expected to know what they want to do at such an early age and try and pigeon hole themselves.
I look at university and the actual cost and think in the future many jobs will be done by AI but not physical jobs, sparky etc, that’s where a good career these days will be for me, especially some of the quotes you get for work today!

My lad got AAB and I expect @jimharri will be happy to hear he’s off to Leeds to do Chem Eng.
Word of advice.
My eldest went to Leeds 12 years ago.
We would often phone to see how he was doing at night and he’d say he was in The Library.
Proud as punch at his work ethic we were.

We later discovered The Library is a pub…

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.