A machete attack to head doesn't count as attempted murder??

I've done it twice, and had some very similar experiences.
One we were pretty certain the defendant was not mentally competent, and after he was found guilty, the judge pretty much seemed to agree with that by referring him for assessment.
There was one where two jurors read books in the jury room, having decided their verdict early on.
At least one case we may have been watching too much TV drama, as we couldn't work out why the charge was what it was, and why an obvious point was addressed.

About 2/3 of the jurors were people I'd be happy with having on a jury!

I do like the Secret Barrister, he's usually precise in his statements, as long as people don't reinterpret them to suit themselves.
A percentage of the general public are not fit for purpose to be on a jury, it's not their fault as it's the system however, the legal teams in general are fucking shite.

In my working life I spent many hours in court on the good guys side both prosecution & defense in most cases didn't have a clue what the actual case was about. All too busy scoring points of law.

We used to accept that once we'd got a case to court that was a result as beyond that it became a lottery.

I was surprised he had already committed two other machete attacks.

Were they hoping he would give it up? Just move on? The guy is obviously mentally ill, and should have been confined. It makes you wonder how many other similar types are cutting about. Literally.

On the issue of jury service;
I served in 2016 at Manchester Crown Court. An allegation of sexual assault against a man by his ex girlfriend.
The case should never have got to court. The Police were woeful in their evidence, to the point where photo evidence clearly backed the man rather than the woman. How it ever got to Crown Court I'll never know. We returned an innocent decision less than 15 mins after going for deliberations.
It was a complete waste of public time and money.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.