A machete attack to head doesn't count as attempted murder??

The Law should be changed so that any prior convictions in the past 5 years are read out before a Verdict and Sentence is put down. we're too fuckin soft..
Wouldn't have made a difference in this case though as the previous machete attack he was convicted of was in 1996. The rape was in 1983.

Rodwan is clearly an absolute fucking scumbag and deserved a longer sentence, but the judge was correct in not allowing those details to be disclosed.

That episode of Peep Show where Jeremy got jury service and started an affair with the defendant.

Wouldn't have made a difference in this case though as the previous machete attack he was convicted of was in 1996. The rape was in 1983.

Rodwan is clearly an absolute fucking scumbag and deserved a longer sentence, but the judge was correct in not allowing those details to be disclosed.

I agree about the rape conviction but the previous machete attack shows that he's got a propensity to commit these types of attacks and I can see it being relevant to whether or not he was carrying an offensive weapon. In this case, it strongly suggests that he was, and that the jury have got it wrong.

There was a case in Manchester about 15 years ago where the CPS tried to convict someone for murder because he deliberately ran two young lads over (killing one - somebody I knew) in his car. They didn't have that much evidence though but thankfully, there was a law change in the midst of the investigation which allowed them to show that he'd previously been convicted of deliberately running people over on multiple occasions (including on a children's playground) and he was rightly convicted.

On the issue of jury service;
I served in 2016 at Manchester Crown Court. An allegation of sexual assault against a man by his ex girlfriend.
The case should never have got to court. The Police were woeful in their evidence, to the point where photo evidence clearly backed the man rather than the woman. How it ever got to Crown Court I'll never know. We returned an innocent decision less than 15 mins after going for deliberations.
It was a complete waste of public time and money.
CPS at that time were pushing through sexual assault allegations post Saville. They have backed off now and are thankfully more evidence led

The Law should be changed so that any prior convictions in the past 5 years are read out before a Verdict and Sentence is put down. we're too fuckin soft..
It doesnt need to be changed because that it s in place now. The crown can make a bad character application but it is down to the judge whether it is used. It rarely is because judges fear it will lead to an unfair trial. I agree it should be used more.

CPS at that time were pushing through sexual assault allegations post Saville. They have backed off now and are thankfully more evidence led

Yeah, there was quite a few high profile cases shortly after that had been clearly rushed through. I felt really sorry for the man at the trial I was on, he'd been put through hell for months and I was astounded it had even got to trial. We all were to be honest.

It doesnt need to be changed because that it s in place now. The crown can make a bad character application but it is down to the judge whether it is used. It rarely is because judges fear it will lead to an unfair trial. I agree it should be used more.
Rarely used? Sorry mate, that’s simply wrong. Judges routinely allow bad character applications. If there are previous convictions that are relevant to the offence(s) charged which are not of too much antiquity then the default position is to let those antecedents in.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.