A message of Edin Dzeko...

So far in the league he's looked like a non-skillful Berbatov and about as much of a goal threat as Jo. But he said himself he had a very slow start at Wolfsburg but ended up being great for them so hopefully that's the case again with us.

Three years ago i heard that there was a player in Germany scoring for fun and that a number of top clubs were keeping tabs on him. So i payed specific attention to him as i have with many players since we were taken over by Sheikh Mansour, as there is every chance we would end up signing them. What i saw was a player who had two feet and was a dangerous finisher with both; a good finisher with his head; a player who reads where the play will go; someone who is hungry to score goals - a goal machine, if you like. However I did also notice his lack of pace; his lack of strength; and his fairly poor first touch.

After seeing two and a half years of this - obviously not week-in-week-out, nor live (as in at the stadium) - i actually wasn't sure i wanted us to sign him. I think i said on here that i didn't want to displace Tevez from being the main central striker as he's in the form of his life and scoring for fun there, i thought Dzeko might upset that flow. I also said that i thought that if Dzeko came he wouldn't be a starter. That's me being honest and not being knee-jerk, it was an opinion i developed over a good period of time.

Having seen him in the flesh, i still hold the opinion that he isn't world class (world class to me is the top 3 players in each position in the world, not just someone who has done well and looks decent) but i do like the guy. I like the way he has two good feet and that he looks hungry to do well. I am actually glad we signed him and that we have him rather than the lazy, unreliable Adebayor. I think with a bit of settling in time and a bit more confidence he'll prove to be a good player. I still don't think he'll be a starter with us, in the biggest of games, while Tevez is here. Even if Tevez leaves - again i'm just being honest i'm not purposely being negative - i think we'll need to sign another top quality striker.

Even as a second striker/ a squad player, with City playing 55-60 games a season, Dzeko will start a good 25 games and i'm sure he'll do really well. I just don't think he'll ever be of the very best quality, or the full package we'll need to be the best.

I do feel sorry for him because if you are bought for 27 million you almost feel abliged to play but here it isn't the case. I think this year he will have to wait his turn and next year he will shine and start to show why we payed the money.

OrigamiNinja said:
Felt sorry for him yesterday. If there is ever a time to bring a striker on who may be lacking a little confidence it is surely when you are winning 3-0 at home and facing a team who cant defend?
I agree. I think Mancini should have gone to him instead of SWP :(

Well said Tolmie! I have no worries about Edin at the moment, he realises he has to step aside for the time being. Next season, this guy is going to run the league, I promise you all this!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.