A minutes silence for Maggie!

jitsubluedan said:
Santiago Street . said:
Amazing that her death has drawn all the chavs and scumbags out into the open most of whom will be too young to have any coherent grasp of the politics of the time but don't have the fibre to formulate their own opinions on this or I suspect anything.

Listen dirtballs, I didn't like George Best. He played for our hated rivals. He was a selfish alcoholic who'd had a liver transplant but still drank himself to death. That liver could've saved somebody else's life but Best didn't give a fuck - ergo he was a selfish dirtball in my eyes, rightly or wrongly.

But when they had a minutes silence for him at Eastlands I stood there quietly because that's what decent people do when others are paying respect to somebody whose passing they mourn. And I'll do the same for Baconface and I'd do the same for Scargill or Benn or any of Thatcher's bitter rivals.

It's about respect you poorly brought up knobheads

You are a true child of Thatcher as shown by your opening statement which is arrogant and leaves no room for argument; absolutely no room for concensus - just like the woman herself. She would be so proud of you.

For the record, I have lived through that vile woman's tenure in office and unfortunately, do have a coherent grasp of the politics of the time.

I wasn't born when Hitler was in power and doubt any member of this forum was but that doesn't mean we can't have an opinion on the man's politics - just as today's youth have on Thatcher's. In both cases, their policies decimated their countries and have a lasting impact today. Those people whose lives were destroyed by Thatcher have children - probably even grandchildren - and it is these people who will still be suffering the consequences of that vindictive woman's policies and have every right to voice their opinions on the matter.

I too detest George Best but was content to adhere to the minute's silence for his death - it was the proper thing to do. He was after all, a very good footballer.

However, to be expected to show respect for a woman who destroyed the lives of so many is going too far. It is not enough to simply walk away - silence just allows the chattering classes to think they are right in their opinion of her. There were many in nazi Germany who stood by and did nothing (the comparisons are becoming uncanny). The point is to show the establishment who insist she is shown respect that we do not agree to their demands. Whether or not it is bad form to behave in such a way, I for one would boo long, loud and hard so that the country and the world would know my outrage at being asked to acknowledge that woman as a human being.

If that makes be a knobhead then I would be happy to adopt that mantel. I'd rather be that than a condescending prat.

clapping.gif

jitsubluedan said:
You are a true child of Thatcher as shown by your opening statement which is arrogant and leaves no room for argument; absolutely no room for concensus - just like the woman herself.
I'm laughing at the irony of that statement, which also sums up the implacable anti-Thatcher elements on here.

The true consensus is that she did some things right and some things wrong and if you really lived through the mid-1970's, you'd know what a fucking mess this country was in at that time.

For every person she put on the scrapheap, she helped others move a rung or more up the ladder, through being able to set up businesses, giving them far more disposable income, allowing them to own their own homes, freeing them from high inflation, giving them access to credit. Inflation was squeezed out of the system and interest rates, apart from a short blip in the late 1980's, went steadily down. Her reduction of taxation rates made it worthwhile to save, which impacts the economy by giving governments access to additional funds.

It's also a myth to say she "destroyed" manufacturing industry. The truth is that it was already declining before she came to power. Between 1970 and 1979, its share of GDP declined by just under 2%. Between 1979 and 1990, the rate of decline actually slowed so that its share of GDP went down by 1.5%.

Now I can't stop you thinking that she was (in your arrogant words that leave no room for argument) "a vile woman" but I can point out that not everyone shares that opinion.

I am sure Aguero, Zabaleta and Tevez would look forward to a minutes silence for her, imagine the pressure they would be under from back home in Argentina especially as Argentina are still applying strong pressure to the UN for a resolution to the Falklands issue.

Santiago Street . said:
Amazing that her death has drawn all the chavs and scumbags out into the open most of whom will be too young to have any coherent grasp of the politics of the time but don't have the fibre to formulate their own opinions on this or I suspect anything.

Listen dirtballs, I didn't like George Best. He played for our hated rivals. He was a selfish alcoholic who'd had a liver transplant but still drank himself to death. That liver could've saved somebody else's life but Best didn't give a fuck - ergo he was a selfish dirtball in my eyes, rightly or wrongly.

But when they had a minutes silence for him at Eastlands I stood there quietly because that's what decent people do when others are paying respect to somebody whose passing they mourn. And I'll do the same for Baconface and I'd do the same for Scargill or Benn or any of Thatcher's bitter rivals.

Is this a wind up!? Just because of this dick im going to go and buy "ding dong the witch is dead" and bring a airhorn to the match for the minutes silence.

CTID1988 said:
Santiago Street . said:

Is this a wind up!? Just because of this dick im going to go and buy "ding dong the witch is dead" and bring a airhorn to the match for the minutes silence.

Stopped reading at the word 'dirtballs'.

the kippax wall said:
I'll save my minutes silence for the 300+ Argentinian young men murdered on the Belgrano, 10 miners deaths associated with the strike, 96 Liverpool football fans, 10 Irish terrorists who took the decision to starve themselves to death and the thousands of decent working class peoples lives she fucked up.

Fixed that for you mate.

Dubai Blue said:
lancs blue said:
bluelol said:
Our very own stadium is built over one of the pits she help close (Bradford Colliery), The pit shaft goes down around a mile to a mile and a half, it’s very sad to say but it was just a shame that she was not pushed down it before the stadium was built, she could have kept my uncles leg company that he lost in a conveyer belt. Now you have my answer to the minutes silence.

As much as I detest Thatcher you need to get your facts right - Bradford Colliery closed in 1968 (under a Labour government), 11 years before Thatcher became PM.
Nicely sums up the misinformation that has plagued both sides of the argument in recent days. There's plenty of stuff to justifiably have a go at her for, but it's ridiculous to be blaming her for issues she had nothing to do with.

And that's why it's so difficult to have a rational debate about Thatcher. The stubbornness of so many people (on both sides of the fence) who refuse to begin to entertain different viewpoints to theirs makes it all rather pointless.

Dubai Blue said:
lancs blue said:
bluelol said:
Our very own stadium is built over one of the pits she help close (Bradford Colliery), The pit shaft goes down around a mile to a mile and a half, it’s very sad to say but it was just a shame that she was not pushed down it before the stadium was built, she could have kept my uncles leg company that he lost in a conveyer belt. Now you have my answer to the minutes silence.

As much as I detest Thatcher you need to get your facts right - Bradford Colliery closed in 1968 (under a Labour government), 11 years before Thatcher became PM.
Nicely sums up the misinformation that has plagued both sides of the argument in recent days. There's plenty of stuff to justifiably have a go at her for, but it's ridiculous to be blaming her for issues she had nothing to do with.

I apologies, I do have my date incorrect Bradford pit was closed in 1968 because of considerable subsidence being caused to the local area under the title of uneconomical not through any political action , however you can rest assured that if it had been open when she came on the scene it would have received the same treatment as all the others and those that were relocated to other pits suffered the misery from her time in power, some of those members being my family.

Prestwich_Blue said:
jitsubluedan said:
You are a true child of Thatcher as shown by your opening statement which is arrogant and leaves no room for argument; absolutely no room for concensus - just like the woman herself.
I'm laughing at the irony of that statement, which also sums up the implacable anti-Thatcher elements on here.

The true consensus is that she did some things right and some things wrong and if you really lived through the mid-1970's, you'd know what a fucking mess this country was in at that time.

For every person she put on the scrapheap, she helped others move a rung or more up the ladder, through being able to set up businesses, giving them far more disposable income, allowing them to own their own homes, freeing them from high inflation, giving them access to credit. Inflation was squeezed out of the system and interest rates, apart from a short blip in the late 1980's, went steadily down. Her reduction of taxation rates made it worthwhile to save, which impacts the economy by giving governments access to additional funds.

It's also a myth to say she "destroyed" manufacturing industry. The truth is that it was already declining before she came to power. Between 1970 and 1979, its share of GDP declined by just under 2%. Between 1979 and 1990, the rate of decline actually slowed so that its share of GDP went down by 1.5%.

Now I can't stop you thinking that she was (in your arrogant words that leave no room for argument) "a vile woman" but I can point out that not everyone shares that opinion.

Interesting that you put more effort into those that moved up the ladder whilst completely ignoring those she put on the scrapheap. As if condemning people, and communities to the scrapheap is ok so long as others can flourish. In my world, the emphasis would be on getting those on the scrapheap off it, or better still not putting them there in the first place.

When thinking of Thatcher, the term "babies and bathwater" come to mind. Anyone cold enough to throw the babies out too does not deserve my mourning.

A minute's silence at football matches should be for FOOTBALL reasons, not political reasons. And, as a working man's game, it seems rather naive to believe you could get 80 people at a game to spend a minute in silence for her passing, let alone 80,000.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.