A proper discussion...what made you support city?

My Dad first took me in 79-80, then became season ticket holder, then became a habit, then became a way of life...........in around 1986/7 time I saw us get hammered at Leicester 4 - 0, my first proper away day out (forget Oldham, Rags), got home and my Dad said..."bet you won't go away again will you ?".......I said "Dad, it was absolutely ace !" the atmosphere absolutely grabbed me and I was hooked on away games from that moment !! Did 20 years of away games, missed very few. Now, due to finances don't go away but still hold my season ticket after all these years.........

Two brothers of Irish stock from Wythenshawe, use to go to Maine Road one week and the swamp the next. Patrick a Blue, mike a red. Patrick meets a girl from Oldham, (Hollinwood), and they get engaged. Patrick is a top man and takes me to my first football match at Maine Road, City v utd, I was 8. We are in the Kippax and I,m on that wall half way up. I have never seen anything like it in my life, thousands upon thousands standing and swaying, roaring the Blues on. From that day on I was hooked.
He took me to the swamp in 74 to see Denis law dump the rags. Also in 74 he took my sister to wembley, and I was gutted. Told me he would take me to Wembley the next time we got there. 1976 and we were back, Bobby Johnstone, god rest his soul, got us two tickets. City beat the barcodes 2-1, and what a fantastic day. Been going ever since and always will.

the old man.

grandad died april 86. fist game of the new season dad said "Come on son your coming to maine rd with me. If i've got to suffer, so have you."

Simple.

My father said to me one day "is it red or blue for you?"
and if it's red you're out the door and I won't see you no more
and then one Saturday afternoon he took me to Moss Side
He said "my son your time has come and this is a lesson in pride"
You see the scum you never run
You stand and fight your ground
and when you've won on derby day
You're sure to hear this sound
Hark now hear
The City sing
United ran away
And we will fight for ever more
Because of Derby day. ;0)

Mazzer0 said:
I remember the last game of the season, away against Palace, 89/90 i rek, and there was 1000s of blues dressed in Blues Bros outfits, we drew 3-3 and it was scorchin hot. Top day that was.

Was that the week before Palace played the scum in Cup? If it was I have to correct you only that it was 2-2, but yes the Blues Brothers everywhere were brilliant. Eddie Large on at half time, blues fans singing 'we hope you shit on United' and Palace singing 'we are going to shit on United'... brilliant. Niall Quinn with an obvious handball leading to a last minute equaliser and the friendliest pitch invasion in history![/quote]

Thanks for that matey, 2-2 it was, superb day out man!!!

My grandma was a fanatical catholic and went to church every day of her life. She went to a sports shop in Lancaster and asked for a kids shirt from the successful catholic club in manchester for my birthday - they sold her a city shirt and I never looked back. I should have been a red!!

i like these threads, i did a similar one to this about 12 months ago. I asked whether you was born into it or chose to be a blue. I was born into it, my dad took me to my first game when i was 3, i never stood any chance of supporting anyone else. I remember my younger brother, who wasn't brain washed to my extent, once came home from school aged about 10 and announced at the family tea table "i don't want to support city any more i'm going to support u****d", as me and my mum looked at each other a deathly silence fell upon the table, my dad placed his knife & fork on the table and pointed to my brother and said "there's no bleeding u****d supporters living in this house so you better get upstairs now and pack your bags" needless to say he is a blue!

my father was a red bin dipper ( from salford !)

WTF.

dont know to this day why, he was born 1939, in salford.

he told me when i was 7. " when you can watch the whole of match of the day on a sat night without falling asleep.

i'll take you to watch any team you want , except u**t*d".

ledgend ! and a top bloke, apart from being a manc dipper, god rest his soul.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.