A Stat Comparison of Tevez, Dzeko, and Aguero (Update pg 10)

Re: A Statistical Comparison of Tevez, Dzeko, and Aguero

Statistics are 100% facts, but are produced on historical data, therefore can only produce facts on what has happened in the past and not what will happen in the future.Circumstances continually change and so because of that so too will statistics. My point being football,in my humble opinion, is so interesting to discuss (and the reason these forums exist), because of the vast differences in peoples opinions on the the whole aspect of the beautiful game. ( i.e. Dzeko was in far better form earlier in the season than he is currently but over the 45 games his stats are averaged out, is just my opinion). To conclude: Stats are very interesting but opinions are far more interesting. IMO

noise said:
Dzeko will be gone in a month.

Next season we'll see how we do without him and how he does with a different manager.

Dzeko was a top bundesliga scorer (well, almost two years in the row, actually) and in my opinion he has gotten even better at City (EPL is a different ball game where he experienced and had to work on things he never did at Wolfsburg). He was (and still is) a top striker who is a bad fit at City. Simple.

Case in point - really not worried about his future elsewhere...once he finds a fit system/manager he'll be up the charts again, like before - cause he is not old, he is in his prime.

Hmmm, I wonder...If Dzeko is only a lazy twat and does nothing, is a useless piece of junk etc. Who is THE BEST striker in the world at the moment? (FIFA world cup qual) ???

p.s. Dzeko has gone to Germany ;)

Braveheart87 said:
Hmmm, I wonder...If Dzeko is only a lazy twat and does nothing, is a useless piece of junk etc. Who is THE BEST striker in the world at the moment? (FIFA world cup qual) ???

p.s. Dzeko has gone to Germany ;)

As one of Edin's biggest supporters - he is far from the "BEST" striker in the world...that's just ludacris.

If you meant best SCORER in WC qualifiers - YES, but that's a completely different thing alltogether buddy.

Edin will remain best scorer in qualifiers...his ability to get goals is up there with the best of them, and should never be questioned anyway...but "best" striker in the world is a whole different dimension.

I do apologize. That was what I meant ... i don't think that he is the best in the world, but rather best striker at the moment. Your correction stands right ;)

Anyway, I just wanted to pointed out that he is not a trash as he is portrayed from many on this forum :)

All the best

UPDATE - Last season's stats and overall stats for the last two seasons (100 games)

Good news for those who think Aguero/Tevez make the best strike partnership; I've finally found something you can use!

So, having done the same statistical analysis of every competitive game last season (54 in total), I have data from last year to compare to this year, and I've also been able to combine the two seasons to get averages that are even more statistically sound.

Unfortunately, it's not really possible to compare the strike partnerships last season because of Tevez' little golfing holiday. He played so few minutes with Aguero or Dzeko, that the statistics are unreliable (however, I did roll those minutes into this year's data and will show those further down).

Here are the individual numbers from last season;

Total playing time (games @ 94 min/game);
Aguero 38.3 (incl. 3.5 as sub), Tevez 7.8 (1.6), Dzeko 25.9 (3.4), Balotelli 20.3 (2.8)

Goals per game (parenthesis shows goals as a starter and as a sub);

Aguero 0.78 (0.72/1.41), Tevez 0.51 (0.64/0.00), Dzeko 0.69 (0.58/1.47), Balotelli 0.84 (0.80/1.08)

Note: the data are better when they start games than when they come on as a sub, because there's a much bigger sample size, and even Tevez' starting data are a bit unreliable because he played so few games.

Team goals per game as a starter (for/against);
Aguero 2.22/0.75, Tevez 2.41/0.48, Dzeko 2.17/1.20, Balotelli 1.88/0.86

Putting this in terms of equivalent goals for the whole season (54 games);
Team goals for the season as a starter (for/against);
Aguero 100/34, Tevez 109/22, Dzeko 98/54, Balotelli 85/39

Note: the Tevez' data are not nearly as relevant as the Aguero, Dzeko, and Balotelli data due to the very small number of games he played.

Here's the data for the strike partnerships last season;
Total playing time (games);
Tevez/Dzeko 1.0, Aguero/Dzeko 16.3, Tevez/Aguero 2.6

Only the Aguero/Dzeko data are statistically meaningful for last season, but the data for the other pairings will be added to this season's data later on. The team goals for/against are as follows;

Team goals per game (for/against);
Aguero/Dzeko 2.45/0.92 (this year it's 2.21/1.24)

Overall Data (100 competitive matches, last season and this season)

Total playing time (games @ 94 min/game);
Aguero 64.3 (incl. 6.2 as sub), Tevez 40.3 (3.8), Dzeko 51.1 (8.5)

Goals per game (parenthesis shows goals as a starter and as a sub);

Aguero 0.72 (0.67/1.13), Tevez 0.50 (0.52/0.26), Dzeko 0.63 (0.49/1.30)

Even after combining the data to cover 100 games, the sub data is still a very small sample size for Tevez, and not that much better for the others, so I'll keep focusing on the starting data.

Team goals per game as a starter (for/against);
Aguero 2.03/0.88, Tevez 2.00/0.88, Dzeko 2.04/1.17

Putting this in terms of equivalent goals for both seasons (100 games);
Team goals for two seasons as a starter (for/against);
Aguero 203/88, Tevez 200/88, Dzeko 204/117

Strike Parterships;

Total playing time (games);
Tevez/Dzeko 16.2, Aguero/Dzeko 27.6, Tevez/Aguero 16.2

The team goals for/against are as follows;
Team goals per game (for/against);
Tevez/Dzeko 2.54/1.05, Aguero/Dzeko 2.35/1.05, Tevez/Aguero 2.29/0.68

Putting this in terms of equivalent goals for two full seasons (100 games);
Team goals for two seasons (for/against);
Tevez/Dzeko 254/105, Aguero/Dzeko 235/105, Tevez/Aguero 229/68

This shows that the team scores more goals when Tevez and Dzeko are on the field together, than both non-Dzeko combinations. The Dzeko partnerships also concede a lot more. The goal differential is as follows (for 100 games);

Team goal differential for two seasons;
Tevez/Dzeko 148, Aguero/Dzeko 130, Tevez/Aguero 161

So what does this tell us over two full seasons?
1) Aguero has outscored the others as a starter (Dzeko and Tevez are about the same).
2) The team has scored almost exactly the same number of goals per game, regardless of which striker starts, though they've conceded more when Dzeko starts.
3) We've scored the most goals when Tevez/Dzeko are on the pitch, but we've conceded the least (by quite a bit) when Aguero/Tevez play
4) If we judge the best partnership by the biggest differential between team goals scored and conceded, then over the last 2 seasons, the Aguero/Tevez partnership comes out slightly on top.
5) All that running around and "putting in a shift" that Aguero and Tevez do doesn't seem to help us score any more goals (we actually score less), but it does appear to prevent the other team from scoring. When we play Dzeko, we're likely to score more, but also concede more.

CaliforniaBlue said:
So what does this tell us over two full seasons?
1) Aguero has outscored the others as a starter (Dzeko and Tevez are about the same).
2) The team has scored almost exactly the same number of goals per game, regardless of which striker starts, though they've conceded more when Dzeko starts.
3) We've scored the most goals when Tevez/Dzeko are on the pitch, but we've conceded the least (by quite a bit) when Aguero/Tevez play
4) If we judge the best partnership by the biggest differential between team goals scored and conceded, then over the last 2 seasons, the Aguero/Tevez partnership comes out slightly on top.
5) All that running around and "putting in a shift" that Aguero and Tevez do doesn't seem to help us score any more goals (we actually score less), but it does appear to prevent the other team from scoring. When we play Dzeko, we're likely to score more, but also concede more.

Thank you.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.