A trip down memory lane around Manchester....

A Road Called Gerald
1623622139305.png
1623622172241.png
Two images of the Gerald Road footbridge in Salford.
The first one is from around 1900 and was one of the first suspension bridges ever made (built 1825/26). Gerald Road was originally called "Suspension Road" and there's a story that goes with it:

"Broughton Suspension Bridge was situated where the Gerald Road Bridge is today. It was built in 1826 by John Fitzgerald, owner of the nearby Castle Irwell, and was one of Europe's first iron chain suspension bridges. In 1831, a squad of soldiers, who had been exercising on Kersal Moor, were marching back to Regent Road barracks by way of the bridge. They felt it begin to vibrate in time with their footsteps. Finding the vibration amusing some of them started to whistle a marching tune and stamp to make the bridge vibrate even more. The front of the column had almost reached the Pendleton side when they heard a sound resembling gunfire. Immediately, one of the iron columns supporting the chains fell and the bridge collapsed. About 40 soldiers fell 16-18 feet into the river. The river was low and the water only two feet deep. Twenty were injured, some seriously, though luckily none were killed. The main consequence was that the British Army issued an order that soldiers should "break step" whenever crossing a bridge in numbers. The Suspension Bridge was rebuilt and strengthened. It was eventually replaced in 1924 by Gerald Road Foot Bridge."

Last edited:
My memories are way back in the 60's. Sitting on my dads bike, had a little saddle on the crossbar and feet rest on the down tube. Use to take me everywhere like that.
Mum working in the Cake Box on Fog Lane and bring stale bread home to feed the ducks in Fog Lane park ? That might be wrong but we feed the ducks not far from fog lane ;)
Going on rowing boats cant remember where.
Thinking Merlin Avenue was huge when infact it's only about 6 houses long lol.

Remember Eastern Circle Burnage where my grandparents lived. Visiting at Easter and the local kids taking an interest in our funny southern/manc accents lol.

Here's a real oldie:
Gypsies (I know but that's what we called them then) hiring out boats on the Mersey at Northenden, just above the weir ffs. My memory of this is from when I was very young, so about 70 years ago.
It is also mentioned in one of Howard Spring's novels.
The river then stank of industrial cleaning agents and put up a swirling cloud of soapy bubbles at the foot of the weir.

Last edited:
My memories are way back in the 60's. Sitting on my dads bike, had a little saddle on the crossbar and feet rest on the down tube. Use to take me everywhere like that.
Mum working in the Cake Box on Fog Lane and bring stale bread home to feed the ducks in Fog Lane park ? That might be wrong but we feed the ducks not far from fog lane ;)
Going on rowing boats cant remember where.
Thinking Merlin Avenue was huge when infact it's only about 6 houses long lol.

Remember Eastern Circle Burnage where my grandparents lived. Visiting at Easter and the local kids taking an interest in our funny southern/manc accents lol.
The ducks and rowing boats almost definitely Platt Fields, which had a motor-boat called the Archie LIttlemore, skiffs and 4-seat rowing boats. Also a mini zoo and a small pond for model boats and a band-stand that was popular. The big field was used by schools for their sports-days. On warm Sundays the place attracted familys from all over Manchester, and also the last of the teddy-boy gangs at the end of the fifties.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.