A trip down memory lane around Manchester....

More on Dickenson Road studios here:

An interesting article here about the BBC’s various studios and buildings across Manchester innthe 60s and 70s, including in Hulme, Longsight and Ladybarn (Fallowfield/Burnage/Withington borders)

Last edited:
Hated that place and often got off or on one stop before or after to avoid going in there.
I was delighted to see in the comments section someone mention something that I’d completely forgotten about; when it was built the entrances were too low to fit a double-decker into and they had to lower the road to make it work. Insane.
The Arndale Bus station was headache inducing. The smell and the weird people.. and that was just me! I was the loony that sat next to lonely people on the top deck of buses!! haha.
Kidding...i always ATTRACTED them!.

An interesting article here about the BBC’s various studios and buildings across Manchester innthe 60s and 70s, including in Hulme, Longsight and Ladybarn (Fallowfield/Burnage/Withington borders)

Found this vid of bowie outside the BBC on Oxford Road in the 90s.

The Apollo cinema Ardwick Green for the Saturday matinee each week…

e5427ef6f6482f356cdf233a1323445f.jpg

Does anybody remember the old studios at the top end of Gt Western St near Wilmslow Rd, my Ma always pointed out the little building telling me that it was where Frank Randle used to make his films. Apparently he was an old time Lancashire comic, and now I wonder if my Ma was mistaken and confusing it with the old Dickenson Rd site. I noticed in a previous posting a blue plaque saying it was the base for Mancunian Films.

Found this vid of bowie outside the BBC on Oxford Road in the 90s.

Despite the the great changes and developments in mcr losing the bbc on Oxford rd and moving it to media city felt like losing something. That location felt like it was part of the heart of the city.

Get yourself a copy of @Mad Eyed Screamer s book.

There was a hybrid toyshop/household wares emporium just up from the Anson called “Joytown”, maybe that was the one
You are probably right my memory is not fantastic, am going back to the early 60s.

Another Toy shop was Wiles in the Lewiss Arcade, loved that as a kid especially at Christmas.

Can anyone remember what year Market Street became pedestrian.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.