A trip down memory lane around Manchester....

The Arndale Bus station was headache inducing. The smell and the weird people.. and that was just me! I was the loony that sat next to lonely people on the top deck of buses!! haha.
Kidding...i always ATTRACTED them!.
Horrible place,had to have your wits about you as a kid as there were always gangs looking to rob (Tax) you

I always used to pass this place on Grey Mare Lane on the 53 bus going to Maine Road,I was always wishing I was older so I could go into places like that.
The name reminds me of us being sent by the older boys to Sivoris Milk Bar on Stockport Road Longsight to fetch them single Domino cigarettes. Quite a walk for fags but the only place you could get split packets. Later on we made the younger kids do the same for us but we had graduated to Park Drive in paper packets of 5.
These missions took us past Greasy Mary 's Chippie next to Woollies, a mysterious smelly place where it was rumoured you could die from eating Mary's chips. I never tried them, so strong was the rumour.

I lived with my Grandmother for a time in the early 60s, we lived on Duncan road the house rdwhere she lived no longer stands, we used to walk down to the toy shop near the Anson on a Saturday, with the hope of buying something, I think it may be on one of the pictures, if it wasnt a toy shop it may have been a news agent which sold toys etc.
The Anson was a huge place we had many parties upstairs, most of our family weddings etc were held there.
We used to play cricket (never football) on the Anson car park which rarely had cars. I developed my spin bowling there because bowling was always hit or miss on the cobbles in the back entries.
We helped out looking for the early missing victims of the Moors Murderers in the whole area but l particularly remember Duncan Road because there were loads of 'shit parcels' in one entry. They were common but l never understood why people wrapped up turds in newspaper.

Cannon Street bus station. Spend many a time in there with my dad on the buses.

Always remember it being dark in there and in the corner there was a chippy and a pub and in the other side was the entrance to the underground market. It always smelt of oil diesel and fish in there

There was actually two entrances. One on Cannon Street and one on Sudehill. It never reopened after the IRA bomb in 96 and that then the transformation of the Arndale began
c54b358008ad1bfd0e1fdf30387f1336.jpg
c35afdff08ba304ffc08449df053a333.jpg
47e33ae701d458ae008aa0d64ded34c3.jpg
5750decd3d147f5612ad35088d1ed84f.jpg
38829927a7eeac7594deda9c7f37b558.jpg
091e145bd2a34a4c8fa2204d130fca1d.jpg
50f746105aa0e13fe44ed9a337aba3d9.jpg

03c3de486d5654d6789a5542baf1374a.jpg
aac4738c25c28074ee2d808bc33ce3ff.jpg

090ee3d604ea0ab8a283d261665de371.jpg

A Road Called Gerald
View attachment 19072
View attachment 19073
Two images of the Gerald Road footbridge in Salford.
The first one is from around 1900 and was one of the first suspension bridges ever made (built 1825/26). Gerald Road was originally called "Suspension Road" and there's a story that goes with it:

"Broughton Suspension Bridge was situated where the Gerald Road Bridge is today. It was built in 1826 by John Fitzgerald, owner of the nearby Castle Irwell, and was one of Europe's first iron chain suspension bridges. In 1831, a squad of soldiers, who had been exercising on Kersal Moor, were marching back to Regent Road barracks by way of the bridge. They felt it begin to vibrate in time with their footsteps. Finding the vibration amusing some of them started to whistle a marching tune and stamp to make the bridge vibrate even more. The front of the column had almost reached the Pendleton side when they heard a sound resembling gunfire. Immediately, one of the iron columns supporting the chains fell and the bridge collapsed. About 40 soldiers fell 16-18 feet into the river. The river was low and the water only two feet deep. Twenty were injured, some seriously, though luckily none were killed. The main consequence was that the British Army issued an order that soldiers should "break step" whenever crossing a bridge in numbers. The Suspension Bridge was rebuilt and strengthened. It was eventually replaced in 1924 by Gerald Road Foot Bridge."
Resonance!

Rather than being “strengthened,” it just needed to have a frequency that was very difficult to replicate.

I was literally just reading about another example of this last week!

We used to play cricket (never football) on the Anson car park which rarely had cars. I developed my spin bowling there because bowling was always hit or miss on the cobbles in the back entries.
We helped out looking for the early missing victims of the Moors Murderers in the whole area but l particularly remember Duncan Road because there were loads of 'shit parcels' in one entry. They were common but l never understood why people wrapped up turds in newspaper.
Dont remember turds in newspaper, but we had moved out to the sticks by the early 60s, not so far from where Hindley and Brady lived, my mum and dad remembered them, we delivered news papers to where they lived on Hattersley, and dad remembered serving them in the cafe late at night.
Always remember my Grandmother complaining about all the Irish families on Duncan road, always made me laugh as she was Irish, she had lived there from getting married and had 7 kids.

My grandad use to be a bus mechanic most of his life.

Pretty sure the depot was on the corner of Burnage Lane and Fog Lane or around that area
Was it Brichfields Road? Its now a little retail park with a Burger King and Iceland called Fallowfield retail park

Was it Brichfields Road? Its now a little retail park with a Burger King and Iceland called Fallowfield retail park

All I can remember as a kid was we would cross kingsway than turn left onto Burnage Lane and thought it was on our right hand side as we turned left. Looking on Google earth I can see a Costa coffee and a tesco !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.