A WARNING TO HAMBURG AKA HSV

cheeseburger said:
vincent said:
so you don't think the premiership is far superior to the german league ?
The top-4 are outstanding, no doubt about it. But looking to the whole thing, there is probably more media hype than it is justified. I don't think that any of the PL clubs from the bottom of the table is able to successfully compete in the bundesliga.

Perhaps, but then again, I doubt 3 of the top 6 teams (Hertha Berlin, Wolfsburg, Hoffenheim) in the bundesliga league could compete in the prem..

vincent said:
cheeseburger said:
vincent said:
The top-4 are outstanding, no doubt about it. But looking to the whole thing, there is probably more media hype than it is justified. I don't think that any of the PL clubs from the bottom of the table is able to successfully compete in the bundesliga.

Perhaps, but then again, I doubt 3 of the top 6 teams (Hertha Berlin, Wolfsburg, Hoffenheim) in the bundesliga league could compete in the prem..

I think they would play for the number 5 spot just like everybody else in the league...

A few week ago I went over to Germany for the Frankfurt v Schalke game and the Bremen v Bayern Munich match. Schalke won and were very poor as I remember them. Bremen on the other hand even though down to ten men moved the ball very quickly and were technically very good. With Bremen being Hamburgs rivals I spoke to a few of there fans who although disliking them admitted they were a very good side.

We just need a positiove result over there and hope our home form will get us through.

City V Schalke I was sat in the home end, and the Schalke fans were very critical of their club, reminded me of City circa 98

vincent said:
cheeseburger said:
vincent said:

Maybe, but maybe they can compete. Unfortunately we will never find out.

But it might be interesting to have a look at the uefa cup performances to get an idea of the relative strength of the teams behind the top. Lets see the number of clubs in the uefa tournament stages in the last couple of years:

ENG...Final...SF...QF...Round-of-16
-----------------------
Sum........2....3....6.....13

GER...Final...SF...QF...Round-of-16
-----------------------
Sum........1....5....7.....13

I don't see a significant difference in the performances. Lucky draws should be even over the years. Hence, i come to the conclusion that our both leagues have a very similar quality below the top. as said before, the english champ. league teams are outstanding. Talking about the rest, i do think we are competitive.

Bring all the stats you like and want, we are still going to beat you fair and square over the 2 legs ;-)
Sorry you Hamburg lads that are looking in, this is our season for it, we aint even arsed about the PL at this momement in time.
Hughes knows this will make him a bit of a legend.
1-2 City Still

cheeseburger said:
vincent said:
cheeseburger said:
vincent said:

Maybe, but maybe they can compete. Unfortunately we will never find out.

But it might be interesting to have a look at the uefa cup performances to get an idea of the relative strength of the teams behind the top. Lets see the number of clubs in the uefa tournament stages in the last couple of years:

ENG...Final...SF...QF...Round-of-16
-----------------------
Sum........2....3....6.....13

GER...Final...SF...QF...Round-of-16
-----------------------
Sum........1....5....7.....13

I don't see a significant difference in the performances. Lucky draws should be even over the years. Hence, i come to the conclusion that our both leagues have a very similar quality below the top. as said before, the english champ. league teams are outstanding. Talking about the rest, i do think we are competitive.

Do German teams who qualify for the UEFA cup take it seriously, or have some been known to field weakened teams as they would rather concentrate on the domestic league and qualification for the champions league. Im thinking Aston Villa this season.

Today, Wolfsburg vs Bayern 5:1 *lol*

Have a look at the fifth goal from Grafite!! Nice one.. ;-)

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ8SYOmgqnY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ8SYOmgqnY</a>

pedigreeblue said:
Do German teams who qualify for the UEFA cup take it seriously, or have some been known to field weakened teams as they would rather concentrate on the domestic league and qualification for the champions league. Im thinking Aston Villa this season.
Some are well known for throwing the uefa away.

We do have the same discussion here every single year. Why the hell are teams competing a whole season to play uefa, only to throw it away the following year and concentrate on the league to reach uefa again....? it doesnt make any sense.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.