About to lose my job, looking to start a new career, any advice please...

My advice would be think evolution not revolution. You mention that you have all the financial obligations to maintain, so as great as 'getting a trade' may be, if you don't have any experience or training it can take months if not years before you are at a level where you can cover yourself financially as you would be basically starting right back at square one.
Are there any elements of your job that you do enjoy? I'm sure there must be something that is ok, even if its surrounded by 90% crap. Have a proper think and then maybe look at where you could do more of that and less of the other. Even a small step can open up a totally new way of thinking for yourself.
It'd also probably be easier to get another job if you can at least point to elements of your new job that you have already done previously.

People talk about Australia but I met many in London who didn’t want to go back.

It’s never appealed to me for a number of reasons. I think I’d prefer New Zealand or Canada but, in all honesty, I’m happy enough in Britain and will head to South Wales within five years.
Both my sons have recently gone out there. The elder probably just for a break, the younger may have more permanent plans. He's already had issues with his step-dad's father though who has a hatred of anyone foreign. Racism and a rapidly warming climate will probably put me off from moving there though. Plus there's City and the music scene to miss!

I was watching that programme earlier...Bargain Homes Under the Hammer Hunt. They buy an old run down house at the antiques fair for around 60 quid (they have to haggle...it was on display for £20,000), get planning permission, get some mates to paint it grey, and then they sell it at the auction hoping to make a few quid profit or "golden gravel " which is rare.
That would be an exciting new career, i think.

I've been saying exactly the same to mine since she was old enough to listen. Her reply.. I hate spiders dad!
To be fair, that is a reasonable answer. Years ago I watched an episode of The Crocodile Hunter and it seems like every snake and spider there will kill you quickly.

P.S. I, too, hate spiders.

Interesting.

I did a lot of travelling in my early 20s. Worked in various countries but always found those sorts of jobs limited. It's great working in a bar in some foreign holiday resort in your 20s. Its a bit tragic when you are still there 20 years later.

That said I'm now 20 years into a UK office based career and the young lean and taned lad who returned to the uk has become fat and pasty sat behind a desk. Tragic. But I earn good money and my job is mostly interesting. I've also got a decent pension which is often overlooked by people in trades.

If i had my time again I don't know what I'd do. The grass is always greener.

To be fair, that is a reasonable answer. Years ago I watched an episode of The Crocodile Hunter and it seems like every snake and spider there will kill you quickly.

P.S. I, too, hate spiders.
We've got a quite big spider currently living in our front room. He/she was climbing the fireplace wall last night and stayed in one position for a few minutes, me and Mrs H have no aversion to Spiders so we won't attempt to move him on. If he reappears today I'll take a photo and edit this post :-).

We've got a quite big spider currently living in our front room. He/she was climbing the fireplace wall last night and stayed in one position for a few minutes, me and Mrs H have no aversion to Spiders so we won't attempt to move him on. If he reappears today I'll take a photo and edit this post :-).

You appear to have misgendered an innocent Spider, please report for a mental readjustment to the match day thread.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.