According to SSN... Tevez wants to go!

Didsbury Dave said:
Balti said:
The league? Within 3 seasons is more realistic imo. The sooner the better obviously.
I believe your expectations are too low given the invenstment in our squad and it's quality.

Abu Dhabi will not want to stand still, hence "phase 2".

Fourth will not be good enough.

I think you're both right. We will be expected to challenge for the title, but hopefully our owners know never to expect to win anything. If they do, they might as well leave now.

Phase 2 could mean a whole host of differnet things, personally, i think Phase 2 will have a lot more to do with off the field matters.

"Fourth will not be good enough" - no one knows yet, saying stuff like that at this stage is ridiculously premature.

Alright, I believe 4th will not be good enough.

If we had to preface every opinion with "i believe" this forum would be twice as big...

I believe top 4 will be good enough

Only two teams have managed to oust the 'big 4' up until us becoming the third to do so

If we finished top 4 again we would be the first to actually repeat the feat, consolidate champions league and then build upwards

Didsbury Dave said:

If we had to preface every opinion with "i believe" this forum would be twice as big...

I believe you're right. I believe our owner is used to getting what he wants and I believe he's capable of being ruthless if he doesn't (see Hughes dismissal). I also believe we will win the League this season with a couple more top quality additions.

Didsbury Dave said:
Balti said:
SWP's back said:
I'd only be happy with top 4 if we are still atleast in with a shout come April.

I still think it's too early to *expect* to win it though, infact I don't think any team can expect to win ever. Too many variables.

Top 3 ideally this coming season. Cement our position. Although I think we will mount a challenge I don't think that will be the mandatory measure for Mancini which will be remaining in the Champions league the following season. I doubt he'd be sacked for 4th though no matter how much the Mancini-outers push that as the measure.

Anything else a bonus for me.

The league? Within 3 seasons is more realistic imo. The sooner the better obviously.
I believe your expectations are too low given the invenstment in our squad and it's quality.

Abu Dhabi will not want to stand still, hence "phase 2".

Fourth will not be good enough.

If Arsenal or someone pipped us the way we pipped them, say, would that be a sacking offence?.....not imo.

If we were a long way behind in 4th being chased by Spurs and Liverpool would that be the end for Bobby?.....probably yes, unless there were extenuating circumstances like injuries, or ANOTHER trophy :-)

Worse than 4th? A disaster...byebye.

My expectation is that we will challenge for the title but fall a little short (but less so) and maybe finish third. My hope is that my expectations are not high enough as you suggest!

In my opinion of course ;-)

hgblue said:
Didsbury Dave said:

I believe you're right. I believe our owner is used to getting what he wants and I believe he's capable of being ruthless if he doesn't (see Hughes dismissal). I also believe we will win the League this season with a couple more top quality additions.

That's what I think most Blues don't see. They see City's progress in a linear fashion through all the time they've been supporting them, hence these "consolidation" type comments. I don't believe Abu Dhabi look at it that way. They bought a club they thought were already well into the top half. They have invested an absolute fortune. Progress has been stuttering and has had growing pains but we're now making it. They've now invested a fortune in Etihad branding which needs major exposure around the world.

I believe with the right signings we'll be good enough to win the league, easily. I believe we were good enough last season.

Mancio said:
Didsbury Dave said:
MAte, I can foresee the future already on Bluemoon.

One camp believing that another top four finish represents an acheievment, another camp (of which I will be one) believing that we should be challenging for the title and doing well in Europe.

I think that right now, with no new signings, we are as good as anyone in England and our performances should reflect that.

I don't believe for one second ADUG are here to fuck about. WE lost a season or possibly two between 2008-2010 so we are behind. I think the manager knows big things are expected this season. I don't think the domestic cups matter hugely in terms of a progress measure, although they'd be nice. I think a realistic title challenge and strong progress in Europe is the minimum we should expect.

first time that i've to agree with you. i'm going to restaurant to celebrate.

excluding the europe part of course , coz if you get barca or real madrid in the last 16 you are out. europe need luck.
Fuckin hell, you agreeing with Dave? The internet's broken!

Didsbury Dave said:

I think he simply meant that a challenge will suffice. What if we finish 4th but 3 points off top (entirely possible given the state of the league at the top).

That's why posting what position would "be good enough" is foolhardy at this stage.

hgblue said:
Didsbury Dave said:

Hughes's dismissal was not ruthless. He had spent over 200 million, the team were going backwards, and most importantly the boss never hired him in the first place. I think the sheik was a bit soft. Plenty of others would have taken over the club and after the Brighton and Forest fiascos got rid.

I believe the squad, particularly after any summer signings, are good enough to win the league.

However, I wonder if the players have the same belief. I also wonder if there will need to be another gelling period if we bring in 4-6 new players. They still have to get used to each other's game, it's not like slotting in 1 or even 2 new players into a fully established side. We really looked like we were getting it together at the end of last season but until the final 10 or so games we were not showing the true class there is in the "team". I am also still not confident we will get the benefit of the doubt enough times from refereeing decisions to scrape those extra points that seem to fall to Chelsea and the Scum.

Basically my expectation is 2nd/3rd with good cup runs and CL last 16, anything more would be a bonus - I think 2012-13 will be the big push for the PL title (although obviously I'd be ecstatic if we get it next year).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.