adam johnson (merged)

yu1mixer said:
We'll probably use only one left winger with Ireland tucking inside right & Richards getting forward.SWP may not have a place in the team

I dont think Ireland should based on this seasons performances, I hope he doesn't turn into a one season wonder

If we don't get this signed up today, it will be pretty incompetent management. It's one thing to play hardball, but another to miss out on signings because we waited too long to put the bid in they were likely to accept.

S.E.H said:
yu1mixer said:
We'll probably use only one left winger with Ireland tucking inside right & Richards getting forward.SWP may not have a place in the team

I dont think Ireland should based on this seasons performances, I hope he doesn't turn into a one season wonder
Me too,but he looks out of shape ATM

Bit more info,

Middlesbrough FC News RSS Feed

City’s £7m offer for Johnson

9:59am Monday 1st February 2010

* Print
* Email
* Comments(0)

Photograph of the Author By Scott Wilson »

MIDDLESBROUGH will make a final decision on Adam Johnson’s future this morning after Manchester City officials tabled an improved offer worth up to £7m.

The Teessiders are hoping to complete a transfer treble ahead of this afternoon’s 5pm transfer deadline, with Aberdeen striker Lee Miller and Tottenham defender Kyle Naughton expected to sign at the Riverside, and a bid of around £2.5m ready to be lodged for Blackpool midfielder Charlie Adam.

But while a busy day is expected in terms of arrivals, it will be the possible departure of Johnson that hogs the headlines in the final hours of the transfer window.

The England Under-21 international has now been the subject of three bids from Manchester City and a formal offer from Sunderland.

City’s first bid, like the offer from the Black Cats, was worth around £4m and was rejected last week. The Manchester club then returned with a £5m offer on Saturday night, but that was turned down by Middlesbrough officials, who regarded it as “every bit as derisory” as their first.

Last night’s offer, which is understood to include a number of clauses that could see the final price rise as high as £7m, is expected to be City’s last, and Boro must now decide whether to accept it or not.

While Johnson is out of contract at the end of the season, the Teessiders will be due a compensatory fee if he joins another English club.

A tribunal recently awarded Manchester City a fee that could rise as high as £5.5m following Daniel Sturridge’s transfer to Chelsea, and Boro can be confident of receiving a similar amount for Johnson.

As a result, they may opt to reject City’s latest offer and refuse to give Johnson permission to leave this month unless they receive a fee closer to £9m.

Sunderland’s interest is understood to be at an end despite Steve Bruce’s presence in the crowd during Saturday’s goalless draw with Bristol City, as the Black Cats are reluctant to be drawn into a bidding war with City.

The Manchester club unquestionably possess the funds required to land Johnson, but their manager, Roberto Mancini, is understood to regard £7m as the maximum he is willing to offer for a player who has yet to prove himself in the Premier League.

To further complicate matters, senior Boro figures are known to be extremely unhappy with Manchester City’s conduct this month, which they feel has unsettled Johnson and turned his head away from the Riverside.

The winger has expressed a desire to leave Teesside during a series of chats this month, but having previously held on to Stewart Downing despite the submission of a formal transfer request, Boro chairman Steve Gibson is prepared to go against Johnson’s wishes if City’s final offer is not deemed acceptable.

“It is important for us to keep Johnno,” said Boro centre- half David Wheater, who progressed through the club’s Academy alongside the winger.

“Look at the amount of goals he has scored. We need to keep our best players and the scorers in the side.

“We’ve been together the longest in this group of players – I joined when I was seven, and I was nine when he signed – so I’ve known him a long time and he has improved a lot over the years.”

As well as determining Johnson’s future, Boro officials will also spend today attempting to complete the transfer treble that manager Gordon Strachan believes will fire his side back into the promotion race.

Having backed out of a move for Celtic striker Scott McDonald at the end of last week, the Teessiders agreed a £500,000 fee for Aberdeen striker Miller over the weekend.

The 26-year-old, who made his full Scotland debut in last October’s friendly in Japan, travelled south yesterday to discuss personal terms and undergo a medical.

Provided there are no problems, he should be confirmed as Boro’s fifth January signing from a Scottish club this morning.

He is unlikely to be the only player arriving today, as the Teesiders are also hoping to tie up deals for both full-back Naughton and midfielder Adam.

Naughton is close to completing a loan deal from Spurs until the end of the season after a series of successful talks over the weekend.

West Brom also remain interested in the 21-year-old right-back, but Boro are confident of persuading him to eschew the Hawthorns for the Riverside.

They are also hoping to persuade Blackpool to part company with Adam, despite having had a £2m bid rejected last week. Boro are ready to up their original offer to £2.5m in an attempt to force the Seasiders’ hand.

Adam’s 12 goals from midfield make him Blackpool’s leading scorer this season and, with a proposed loan move for Espanyol midfielder Shunsuke Nakamura looking extremely unlikely to succeed, Strachan is hoping to secure his services before the transfer window swings shut.

Dont see why people are having a go at city for not paying over the odds for a player thats out of contract in the summer.

We only got £3.5 million up front for sturridge plus another £2 million IF he makes 40 apperances and another million IF he plays for England firtst team. Could take years, played regular in the prem and you could argue went to CHelsea on much higher wages than they are offering Johnson and to a title chasing side.

No way they will get a £7 million + cash package at tribunal they should stop being greedy and unrealistic of he will go in the summer to Chelsea or similar and they will end up gettting less money.

TBH I have real suspicions that we are being used as a stalking horse here to drag maximum wages out for the player in the summer, I can see another chelski tribunal fee comming up or SPuds using player loans to try and get him in the summer.

Johnson would be a good signing long term but we have loads of cover in that position already in Petrov and Bellamy signing him is a luxury at the moment so cool either way.

If we could only have one I would have Mariga anyway that lad really does look quality and is exactly what we need. Barry could be in real trouble his form has been poor after the first few games at city. If we get Mariga barrys place will defiantely be under threat IMO.

How are Boro disappointed with our conduct? We've made official offers for the player. That he is interested in leaving a club that looks destined to stay in the Championship, to one with Champions League credentials, whilst trebling his money at the same time is not exactly a surprise.

Project said:
If we don't get this signed up today, it will be pretty incompetent management. It's one thing to play hardball, but another to miss out on signings because we waited too long to put the bid in they were likely to accept.

Or, y'know, they don't want to sell him

I doubt they will get what we got for Sturridge at tribunal based on :

- We offered Sturridge £45 k a week on a 4 year deal - Chelski are paying him £65k apparently on a 5 year deal - big part of tribunal fees are based on how much the clubs concerned "Value" the player and this is clearly linked to their wages.

Hes not on much a borough especially with them currently in the championship.

- They are in the championship and wont be promoted this season. Championship players always get significantly lower valuations at tribunal.

- Foward VS midfield player. Forawards are seen as a more rare and valuable commodity.

Like I said they let it go to Tribunal he will end up at chelsea most likely as they will pay the most wages and they will end up with around £3 million at tribunal with a few add ons.

It will all end in tears for borough if they carry on pissing around.

Now please tell me what the club has done wrong to be deserve all the moaning from clubs like Middlesbrough ? We have issued an offer. Fine they didn't agree to that offer and since then we've twice upped the offer. In the meantime one way or another the player has learned of our interest and has said he'd like to talk to City about a move. How we could have handled this better besides trying to stem the leaks to the press?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.