Adam Wharton

He actually got booked 4 times in the 7 league games after the sending off, I remember thinking he was looking at a another suspensions but then cut them out just before the Christmas fixtures. Crazy that the 4 games he missed resulted in 4 losses - our only 3 in the league and exit in the Carabao cup. Just shows how much we need a capable replacement.
Shows why it’s so difficult too. I think if he misses 4 games of our choice though not suspension then we probably win them.The carabao is a red herring it was a weak team anyway in a competition we needed knocked out of before the CWC .

It is why I am not entirely convinced Wharton is the man for the job, as he looks far more prone to leaving his feet than Rodri.

Now, perhaps Pep (and Rodri) could train that tendency out of him, but when it is your natural inclination, it can be difficult to break yourself of it. And I still maintain he would not get anywhere near the leeway to do it as CDM in our side as he got at Blackburn or Palace.

I think I would want to see more of him in the PL in general, anyway, to be more confident he can actually consistently perform at this level. Last thing we need is another Phillips situation, especially as Wharton will cost more.

He'd have less need to tackle as we have the ball much more than Palace.

Not saying 100% it'd work, he might well make mistakes and bad tackles.

But he's young, he can learn new tricks, he can develop. Phillips was already set in his ways, his game was what it was, and was pretty much set in stone. Really not all that comparable.

The one thing we should do though, if we do sign him - he doesn't need a huge pay increase from what he's on at Palace. His prize is the move to us, not doubling his pay. Sign him, then increase his pay when he's proved himself. That way he's not impossible to shift if it doesn't quite work out.

it's a no from me
It’s not a yes or no for me at this stage. Whilst he’s obviously a very talented player I’m not sure 15 or so games is anywhere near enough to proclaim him as a must buy.
Happy to watch this space.

It’s not a yes or no for me at this stage. Whilst he’s obviously a very talented player I’m not sure 15 or so games is anywhere near enough to proclaim him as a must buy.
Happy to watch this space.
Listened to the Esteemed Kompany podcast with Ahsan (can't remember if they're on here), but Ahsan made a great point about it being the World Cup in 2 years, and that next year probably wouldn't be a good time for him to move anywhere, as he'd want to be playing every single game leading up to the World Cup.

This summer might be the right time for him to move, a season or so settling in and then hit the ground running going into the World Cup season.

I think I've seen enough from him to think he's got the ability to play for City, but that's not to say he'd walk into our team now.

Also, if he stays he will probably sign a new contract which will likely wipe out his current (rumoured) £55m release clause (something else Ahsan mentioned).

Surely he stays at Palace at least one more season, he needs games not a new team.
I agree. If we sign him he’s going on loan.

One of the best young players in the championship, done well in the league and very highly rated so it’s a yes from me.

Listened to the Esteemed Kompany podcast with Ahsan (can't remember if they're on here), but Ahsan made a great point about it being the World Cup in 2 years, and that next year probably wouldn't be a good time for him to move anywhere, as he'd want to be playing every single game leading up to the World Cup.

This summer might be the right time for him to move, a season or so settling in and then hit the ground running going into the World Cup season.

I think I've seen enough from him to think he's got the ability to play for City, but that's not to say he'd walk into our team now.

Also, if he stays he will probably sign a new contract which will likely wipe out his current (rumoured) £55m release clause (something else Ahsan mentioned).
If this guy has got a 55m release clause then it’s an absolute no brainer, I’ve not seen that mentioned anywhere else though?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.