Adam Wharton

Just watched some compilations and analysis of Wharton’s play last year and whilst he definitely looks a prospect, I did notice he likes to dive in quite a lot when defending.

I wonder if he’d be allowed to do that which such frequency in a sky blue shirt and, if not, how that would impact his effectiveness in the CDM role.

Rodri rarely does that—mostly because that isn’t how he defends, but also because he knows he has a 50/50 chance of a booking as soon as he leaves his feet.

Just watched some compilations and analysis of Wharton’s play last year and whilst he definitely looks a prospect, I did notice he likes to dive in quite a lot when defending.

I wonder if he’d be allowed to do that which such frequency in a sky blue shirt and, if not, how that would impact his effectiveness in the CDM role.

Rodri rarely does that—mostly because that isn’t how he defends, but also because he knows he has a 50/50 chance of a booking as soon as he leaves his feet.
we;re one of the least booked teams in the league and have been for about a decade. even most fouls per booking we are usually top 3.

He'll be fine and learn to use his positioning under pep

we;re one of the least booked teams in the league and have been for about a decade. even most fouls per booking we are usually top 3.

He'll be fine and learn to use his positioning under pep
I wasn’t referring to team bookings, I was referring to bookings of our CDM.

And the useful metric would be fouls and bookings as a ratio of possession, not fouls per booking, as we normally dominate possession so should have far fewer fouls and bookings relative to teams that have less possession.

Last edited:
Some getting a bit over excited on the basis of 15 or so PL fixtures. I didn’t even notice this guy when we turned up & beat them 4-2 in April.
We don’t need a Rodri replacement who can step in for 10 games a season, we need another world class midfielder who will play regularly alongside Rodri & who can also play his role when Rodri needs a rest.
I doubt we will get the quality we need if we approach it from the stand in for Rodri scenario. Who, with the required ability, will come here knowing they are only playing 10-15 have a season?
We’ve got the money, we need to spend it on a top class midfielder who is capable of being a regular starter. I’ve no idea who that is, best left to the City hierarchy…perhaps this guy will be that player. He’s young and will likely be okay with playing less games initially?
There, I’m contradicting myself.

I wasn’t referring to team bookings, I was referring to bookings of our CDM.

And the useful metric would be fouls and bookings as a ratio of possession, not fouls per booking, as we normally dominate possession so should have far fewer fouls and bookings relative to teams that have less possession.
Up to and around his sending off Rodri was getting booked all the time. Then he never got another suspension. Not sure what changed ,referees or Rodri being more controlled.

Up to and around his sending off Rodri was getting booked all the time. Then he never got another suspension. Not sure what changed ,referees or Rodri being more controlled.
He actually got booked 4 times in the 7 league games after the sending off, I remember thinking he was looking at a another suspensions but then cut them out just before the Christmas fixtures. Crazy that the 4 games he missed resulted in 4 losses - our only 3 in the league and exit in the Carabao cup. Just shows how much we need a capable replacement.

He actually got booked 4 times in the 7 league games after the sending off, I remember thinking he was looking at an another suspensions but then cut them out just before the Christmas fixtures. Crazy that the 4 games he missed resulted in 4 losses - our only 3 in the league and exit in the Carabao cup. Just shows how much we need a capable replacement.
It is why I am not entirely convinced Wharton is the man for the job, as he looks far more prone to leaving his feet than Rodri.

Now, perhaps Pep (and Rodri) could train that tendency out of him, but when it is your natural inclination, it can be difficult to break yourself of it. And I still maintain he would not get anywhere near the leeway to do it as CDM in our side as he got at Blackburn or Palace.

I think I would want to see more of him in the PL in general, anyway, to be more confident he can actually consistently perform at this level. Last thing we need is another Phillips situation, especially as Wharton will cost more.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.