Adam Wharton

Ok you defintely think that Wharton wouldn't have played for Spain at age 16 or 17, but what exactly does that indicate ?

I'm not sure that anybody else has compared him to Yamal as a player ?
I was tempted to find some random 16 year old Oxford United player who hasn't played for Spain or Barcelona either but then I thought I'm just feeding some very odd unhealthy obsession.

Wharton isn't an outstanding talent If he was more teams would have took the gamble with with him a lot sooner and it would be impossible for Southgate ignore.

in your opinion.

And Southgate is the last manager I would ever choose to use in an attempt to try and justify an opinion on a player.............however obtuse an opinion might be perceived.

A fair assessment imo based upon his limited time at CP, and I admit to never having heard of him before then.

However I would expect those employed to scout will be fully aware , and City do appear to done so if reports are accurate.
Yeah, I didn't know him before that - that's why I am making the post with the caveat that it's based on the small sample size of his spell so far at Palace.

City and others will have been well aware of him as they're the professionals. City tend to make sensible transfers so if they think he's good enough they might go for him. I have no idea if he will end up at City, or another club. However, if (and it's a big if) he fulfils the potential I believe I see in him then he can be an elite player imo.

As for the point about Wharton not playing for England at age 16 - a tiny amount of 16-year-olds do play for the senior NT. Yamal is an extreme outlier, best player in the world potential, and obviously Wharton isn't on his level as a talent. Doesn't mean he can't be an excellent midfielder for years to come though.

I am not sure what bringing up anomalous examples like Yamal is meant to prove.

He still made his debut at 19 at a top 6 club (Villareal and it didn't take long to nail a place in their team. Likewise for having a clue about Wharton.
Rodri was 23 before a top club came in for him and even then he went for a lesser fee than Wharton went for at 19. So clearly at the same age Wharton was more coveted (not coverted as you put).

Rodri is the best player in the world for me but let's not pretend he was a superstar at 19/20 as he wasn't which is why he was playing for Vilareal B team. He didn't play in a major tournament until he was 25.

Last edited:
Ok you defintely think that Wharton wouldn't have played for Spain at age 16 or 17, but what exactly does that indicate ?

I'm not sure that anybody else has compared him to Yamal as a player ?
To be fair, Yamal has played every single game he could as a 17 year old for Spain, as he turned 17 the day before the Euros final, meaning he’s played in their only game since his birthday.

He only played in 13 of 16 games as a 16 year old.

81.25% as a 16 year old.
100% as a 17 year old.

#NailedDown

Rodri was 23 before a top club came in for him and even then he went for a lesser fee than Wharton went for at 19. So clearly at the same age Wharton was more coveted (not coverted as you put).

Rodri is the best player in the world for me but let's not pretend he was a superstar at 19/20 as he wasn't which is why he was playing for Vilareal B team. He didn't play in a major tournament until he was 25.
He didn't spend much time with the Villareal B team and besides that Villareal too were a top 6 club at that time.

He didn't spend much time with the Villareal B team and besides that Villareal too were a top 6 club at that time.
Again you're wrong, over 40% of Rodri league minutes were for the B team at Villareal. I'm now thinking you are on a wind up, nobody can get this many things wrong. Fair play you've hooked me and a few others.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.