Adebayor (merged)

moomba said:
My reading of the interview (presuming it was the same one I heard) was that he's having second thoughts.

Everything all came up fairly quick, and now he's left with the decision if City is a good place for him to work for the next 4-5 years.

Like most people, he might even still see City as a 10th placed club (thanks Hughes) not worthy of players like him. But given a bit of time I'm sure he'll see the potential here and I expect he'll sign over the weekend.

I see you had to get your usual dig in at Hughes there!! Obviously Hughes had nothing to do with Barry and Tevez joining City!!

Wrighty Wrexham said:
neil jung said:
Here's the interview...

Agent: It's in the balance because a lot of it happened very quickly last weekend without the player's real knowledge because he was on his way back to join Arsenal for pre-season training.

He had an extended time away, he was in Togo so I think to come back and find out effectively that, you know, you've been sold or sold in principle it's taken him time to reconcile himself with leaving Arsenal.

Leaving Arsenal's not an easy thing to do so it's not so much about Manchester City, it's about leaving Arsenal and he's, you know, the deal basically has been done. Everything's been agreed, he's got a work permit.

I think he wants to take a little bit of time out just to make sure it's the right thing for him.

Danny Kelly: What do you think the timetable for that decision might be?

Agent: Well Manchester City have been very patient of course.

Danny Kelly
: Well they really want the player don't they?

Agent: Well they want the player and in an ideal world they would like him to have gone with the rest of the team to South Africa on Tuesday or Wednesday morning but I think that was a little bit hopeful given all that had to be done.

So I suppose now that that time frame has gone away we would hope something would happen this weekend.

Danny Kelly: And this is not about waiting for any other player to sign or anything like that is it, this is purely about Adebayor trying to work out what's best for him?

Agent: No there's no other players involved in this, there's no other clubs involved in this but of course football being football the longer it goes on anything could happen but it's not a matter of that.

There's no-one else involved. He's just, err, it's difficult. You reconcile yourself to feel as though you're in control of your own career all the time and then certain things happen.

You know he should take it as a big compliment, as indeed he has - there's so much going on at Manchester City. I think he probably thought that if he was going to leave Arsenal it would probably be for the continent.

So, it's a long term contract, it's a big commitment and he's got to go into it in the right frame of mind, absolutely committed and, you know, hopefully he will but we'll soon find out.

If thats the true intrepretation of the interview then thats fair enough!

The move has happened quickly and I for one would rather he took time out to digest the scenario and make the right deceision.

In other words join city!

Well said

Dillon said:
stavros said:
so there has been an interview that could have been interpreted in more than one way then?
and some of us decide to flap. well dillon take the facts into consideration:
. work permit in MANCHESTER agreed
. fee and personal terms agreed.
. no statement from city ending our interest.
. no other clubs involoved

and ITK'S have stated they expect it to be done sooner rather than later.

Point taken except for no other clubs. That doesn't matter at this moment as more clubs could come in now. The agent basically invited it with this interview. I don't think City will be happy and I believe we will pull the plug if it drags longer than Monday.

Pam said:
Cheer up Dillon.

stavros said:
huge WUM.
some of the things he has said are bordering ridiculous and possibly the most negative person on the forum along with £50 guy

I saw the original post ;) I'm really not a WUM. Look beyond my posts tonight and I've been very positive.

if another club comes in , and thats a big if , i guarantee they wont match our wages. i think hes ours and will happen weekend or monday

Wrighty Wrexham said:
neil jung said:
Here's the interview...

Agent: It's in the balance because a lot of it happened very quickly last weekend without the player's real knowledge because he was on his way back to join Arsenal for pre-season training.

He had an extended time away, he was in Togo so I think to come back and find out effectively that, you know, you've been sold or sold in principle it's taken him time to reconcile himself with leaving Arsenal.

Leaving Arsenal's not an easy thing to do so it's not so much about Manchester City, it's about leaving Arsenal and he's, you know, the deal basically has been done. Everything's been agreed, he's got a work permit.

I think he wants to take a little bit of time out just to make sure it's the right thing for him.

Danny Kelly: What do you think the timetable for that decision might be?

Agent: Well Manchester City have been very patient of course.

Danny Kelly
: Well they really want the player don't they?

Agent: Well they want the player and in an ideal world they would like him to have gone with the rest of the team to South Africa on Tuesday or Wednesday morning but I think that was a little bit hopeful given all that had to be done.

So I suppose now that that time frame has gone away we would hope something would happen this weekend.

Danny Kelly: And this is not about waiting for any other player to sign or anything like that is it, this is purely about Adebayor trying to work out what's best for him?

Agent: No there's no other players involved in this, there's no other clubs involved in this but of course football being football the longer it goes on anything could happen but it's not a matter of that.

There's no-one else involved. He's just, err, it's difficult. You reconcile yourself to feel as though you're in control of your own career all the time and then certain things happen.

You know he should take it as a big compliment, as indeed he has - there's so much going on at Manchester City. I think he probably thought that if he was going to leave Arsenal it would probably be for the continent.

So, it's a long term contract, it's a big commitment and he's got to go into it in the right frame of mind, absolutely committed and, you know, hopefully he will but we'll soon find out.

If thats the true intrepretation of the interview then thats fair enough!

The move has happened quickly and I for one would rather he took time out to digest the scenario and make the right deceision.

In other words join city!

I find the remarks about not wanting to leave Arsenal quite staggering. They all hate the sight of him. Why doesn't he know this?

its taken the lad by suprise,why shud he make a rash decision.........if he signs good,if not we move on simple as!!

Dillon said:
stavros said:
so there has been an interview that could have been interpreted in more than one way then?
and some of us decide to flap. well dillon take the facts into consideration:
. work permit in MANCHESTER agreed
. fee and personal terms agreed.
. no statement from city ending our interest.
. no other clubs involoved

and ITK'S have stated they expect it to be done sooner rather than later.

Point taken except for no other clubs. That doesn't matter at this moment as more clubs could come in now. The agent basically invited it with this interview. I don't think City will be happy and I believe we will pull the plug if it drags longer than Monday.

Pam said:
Cheer up Dillon.

stavros said:
huge WUM.
some of the things he has said are bordering ridiculous and possibly the most negative person on the forum along with £50 guy

I saw the original post ;) I'm really not a WUM. Look beyond my posts tonight and I've been very positive.

Stop lying mate!! You are seriously pissing me off now!!

His agent (if he is his agent) didn't invite anyone, just gave out the facts has he knew them.

svennis pennis said:
Its a shame from an instant point of view that Cook, Hughes etc... arent here to talk to him face to face but in the long run, if he signs we will get a player that has thought it through without having his arm twisted. So that can only be good for us.

I agree on both points.

I hope Cooke not being there doesn't cost us (not his fault of course) but I think having him and Hughes talk to Ade personally to sell the club would really have helped in this deal. Maybe take Tevez with them!

And I agree that if we do get him he can still be a mega player despite his cold feet now. He's entitled to take time, I don't begrudge him at all.

i actually agreed with moomba's post almost in it's entirety. The fact that we finished 10th is unfortunate, but,really, we don't if it's playing on people's minds or not. We seem to be doing a very good job of selling our prospects in the coming season.

And some people might like to consider that Adebayor was not our first choice. So we can hardly complain if we might not be his.

I think it's entirely reasonable and proper for the guy to take his time in deciding, as long as it doesn't drag on for another week. I know I would do the same if I had an offer to leave my place of work, and I know I wouldn't drop my interest in someone I was hiring under the same circumstances.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.