Adebayor vs Santa Cruz?

"just using players we have"

We don't have Ade yet do we? What time was the work permit hearing?

I don't want to get too excited before everything's confirmed. He'd be an even bigger signing than Tevez imo.

i see skies of blue said:
Is it just me, or am I the only person thinking we didn't need to buy both?

Don't get me wrong, it's great that we're improving the team and it was well known we lacked a big frontman last season (what with Jo struggling and Caecedo still young). I know it's a squad game, and you need two players for each position, particularly if you want to compete in Europe (next season) and with international games (both will have long trips and Adebayor will have African Nations Cup) and injuries (neither Santa cruz, Bellamy or Boj have the best records in that department).

There is no point, with our money and ambition buying players to sit on the bench and they are without doubt an improvement on what we had before, but I think signing both will impact not only on both their potential appearences but also on the opportunities of some of the other strikers, Bellamy and Boj in particular.

I can't see Adebayor and Santa Cruz playing in the same team as they are too similar, not with Tevez/Robinho/Bellamy/Boj and then Ireland/Petrov/SWP/Elano in the squad for four attacking berths in the starting XI. Jo, Caecedo, Benjani and Evans will probably have to move on.

Great options to have, but how will it work?

Strength in depth and or injuries.....we need 2 good players for each position.

supercity36 said:
.......................given
zabaleta....onouha...kompany....bridge
...........ireland..........barry..............
....................robinho.....................
.......tevez....adebayor...RSC............

anyone? btw im just using players we hae atm things will obviously chop and change when we sign players

I thought something similar, its the only way I can see all the new signings playing, but its not v balanced- we're essentiall playing 4 strikers, Rob is too ligthweight in CM and Steve is also attacking minded. That puts a lot of pressure on Barry in DMF.

It will be interesting to see the formation we play now. We could play 442 with Tevez and Rob on the wings, but again we're left a bit light in defense

Should Adebayor join I am of the opinion that our striker force is quite possibly one of the finest the Premiership has ever seen.

I agree with the point that Adebayor and Santa Cruz would probably not start together as they are fairly similar, however Adebayor has pace something which Santa Cruz unfortunately lacks. Santa Cruz I believe could be used more to bring Robinho and Tevez in to the game whereas Adebayor could arguably lead the team on his own (a task I believe he has stated he isn't especially happy doing).

However, in certain games where Robinho is getting repeatedly fouled and kicked, when Tevez's buzzing activity is reaping no rewards, how fantastic would it be to be able to have two enormous forwards who both possess skill, both have strength in abundance, and one of which who is faster than most players and certainly more skillful than the average player.

If/when he signs, Adebayor will be a brilliant addition to an already impressive looking squad.

More importantly, who would win in a fight?! Have images of RSC screaming 'not the face, not the face'

A lot of posters forget about International duty.

We have 6-7 South Americans, they play late Wednesday night and have to get a 12 hour flight back to possibly play again on Saturday, it's not ideal!

I see Ireland and Barry being the core of the team, De Jong/Kompany/or Zab playing a holding role, with Robbeh, Tevez and Adebayor up front.

If we are struggling to score against a team that has "parked the bus", throw on RSC and SWP or Petrov for Robbeh and Tevez, and get quality crosses into the box with 2 giants in there. Hey Presto we've completely changed the way we're playing and the defence has to re-think.

We should already be better at set pieces with Barry taking them and potentially with Lescott to add more height to the attack.

ColinBall said:
A lot of posters forget about International duty.

We have 6-7 South Americans, they play late Wednesday night and have to get a 12 hour flight back to possibly play again on Saturday, it's not ideal!

I see Ireland and Barry being the core of the team, De Jong/Kompany/or Zab playing a holding role, with Robbeh, Tevez and Adebayor up front.

If we are struggling to score against a team that has "parked the bus", throw on RSC and SWP or Petrov for Robbeh and Tevez, and get quality crosses into the box with 2 giants in there. Hey Presto we've completely changed the way we're playing and the defence has to re-think.

We should already be better at set pieces with Barry taking them and potentially with Lescott to add more height to the attack.

Good point. It's the African Cup of Nations this year as well isn't it? Is that Adebayor gone for at least a month over Christmas?

smiles said:
supercity36 said:
.......................given
zabaleta....onouha...kompany....bridge
...........ireland..........barry..............
....................robinho.....................
.......tevez....adebayor...RSC............

anyone? btw im just using players we hae atm things will obviously chop and change when we sign players

I thought something similar, its the only way I can see all the new signings playing, but its not v balanced- we're essentiall playing 4 strikers, Rob is too ligthweight in CM and Steve is also attacking minded. That puts a lot of pressure on Barry in DMF.

It will be interesting to see the formation we play now. We could play 442 with Tevez and Rob on the wings, but again we're left a bit light in defense

need natural wingers to service the front two. need to play swp or petrov to give us width.

need natural wingers to service the front two. need to play swp or petrov to give us width

I agree but can you see MH benching Robinho and Tevez?!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.