Aguero: "Refs favour English".

joezilla said:
mark halsey made a dubious call, but i think we were compensated just right with zabaleta's handballing in the box.
You think the "handball" was deliberate?

joezilla said:
mark halsey made a dubious call, but i think we were compensated just right with zabaleta's handballing in the box.
this BUT i think some peoples point is that he is just a terrible referee, rather than being biased against city

SWP's back said:
joezilla said:
You think the "handball" was deliberate?
it wasn't deliberate, but more than half of the fa referees would call it a penalty.

joezilla said:
The handball was the right call. It wasn't deliberate and Zabaleta's hand just happens to be in the way when he was falling.

Halsey just isn't good enough but I do think that, if you're of a "Latin" country - if you want to call it that - you are thought of in a different way. Officials will think you cheat as the likes of Suarez go down rather easily so officials think others do. It should be one rule for all.

P.s. Sorry I haven't been on for ages. Completely forgot to activate this account and forgot the password to my old one from a while back.

Our penalty shouts were at the wrong end of the ground and I haven't seen replays yet, but the Fulham penalty was a really shit decision. No foul, and he wasn't even in the box anyway.

If you read full(er) quotes Aguero's remarks are very reasonable and he's not going to get into any trouble.

It's the great unspoken truth. I'm sure his perspective is rooted in his Spanish experience where no one even denies it. Here I think it's driven also by the media and Sergio's proximity O'Telly.

Take Shrek, granny shagging, public urinating, cheating on his pregnant wife, swearing into cameras, criticizing his own England fans, cowardly stamping his way out of a major tournament. But it's that Big Bad Foreign Mario that is crazy, unprofessional, unpredictable.

Suarez gets hammered for his diving, rightly so, but Ashley Young? Or Gerrard? Or Shrek again?

Mario was hounded so badly after that questionable "stamp" his Agent talked about him having to leave the country. When he gets cold cocked with an off the ball English elbow? You'd better be able to read small print 4 pages in from the back cover to even find any coverage, forget about condemnation.

The Managers need to do something the Papers say, but when Crouch drives the lane for the Harlem Globe Potters and his British Manager says " If he got away with one then Brilliant!!" where is any media comment or questioning of the helpfulness of that attitude?

No penalty for Sergio last week? British pundits consensus? "It's his own fault, he should have gone down"

The question really isn't whether Sergio is right, the question is how can any reasonable student of the game even try to deny it?

Hamann Pineapple said:
quiet_riot said:
Riise wasn't from England last time I checked.

He didn't refer to that incident. I think you are allowing the headline to cloud your judgement.

It's more the way the article is written (badly)

Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero believes English players receive favourable treatment from referees compared to foreign players.

City conceded a controversial penalty within ten minutes against Fulham on Saturday, converted by Mladen Petric, when Pablo Zabaleta was judged to have fouled John Arne Riise

Still, I expect no better from this country's media

Unfortunately this is the kind of quote that the media will jump on and spin the wrong way every time, and know one will ever bother to really find out what he said. They'll just remember the headline and bring it up in arguments.

You need to read the whole quote to see that he's not saying anything controversial, but take out a sentence and all of the sudden he's a whiny foreigner with a prejudice against the locals.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/sep/30/manchester-city-fulham-premier-league

Asked if foreign players find life harder than English players in the Premier League when it came to officials' decisions, Agüero was clear. "Yes. Always," he said. "But it happens everywhere [in the world]. There is a little bit of privilege with players who come from that country. That is normal. We just play our game, and the referee's job is to know who is tricking him and who is not."

I don't know if Kun being foreign had anything to do with the terrible decisions Halsey made, it's possible I suppose, but I think it's more likely that he's just a biased c*nt like a lot of other people out there who have an almost unhealthy dislike for City.

With Suarez I think the fact he's foreign does give him more negative headlines than Rooney, Gerrard and Young, because those three can and do dive with the best of them. They're England players so they might get the benefit of the doubt and the press probably does take it easier on them. But Suarez is such a slimeball and he goes down so theatrically every. Single. Time. that absolutely no one except Liverpool fans can take him seriously. With a track record like his, even if he was English he wouldn't be getting penalties.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.