AJ or Bale?

Both are good quality wingers but I'd go for AJ as he can can get past his man with skill whereas Bale relies on his pace to get round his man.

AJ all day long, Bale is a confidence player, he only broke into the spurs side in January due injuries and the African Nations, he was on the verge of joining Notts Forest on loan in January, and remember he went something like 20 premier league games without a win, his first 2 seasons at Spurs he was horrendous! once spurs lose a few games and he has a couple of bad performances his confidence will crumble and we will see the old Gareth Bale a total liability. As for AJ he came from a championship club settled in at City within a few games, was not overawed by playing in front of 47k or been on the pitch with the likes of Tevez, he thrived, we have seen his quality since day 1. He doesn't rely on confidence, but pure ability.

born_and_bred_a_BLUE said:
AJ all day long, Bale is a confidence player, he only broke into the spurs side in January due injuries and the African Nations, he was on the verge of joining Notts Forest on loan in January, and remember he went something like 20 premier league games without a win, his first 2 seasons at Spurs he was horrendous! once spurs lose a few games and he has a couple of bad performances his confidence will crumble and we will see the old Gareth Bale a total liability. As for AJ he came from a championship club settled in at City within a few games, was not overawed by playing in front of 47k or been on the pitch with the likes of Tevez, he thrived, we have seen his quality since day 1. He doesn't rely on confidence, but pure ability.

He was very poor but I think it's harsh to say he'll crumble, or to single him out as a confidence player - almost every attacking player is a confidence player to some extent. Bale had a terrible run of form after his move but there's a reason both us and Spurs were in for him, he was talented. He is talented.

I'd back Johnson if he were in my team though, he's got a beauty and versatility to his play Bale won't ever have, so if he does bring it all together it'll be the makings of a fantastic player. Bale's devastating and has the ability to single-handledly rip apart a defence, and he's an excellent defensive asset in terms of balance and cover, but he's not got a lot of variety to his game I don't think. With the way he's playing he won't need it to become a very good player, but I'm not sure about him at the very top level. Champions League will be a good indication though, if he does well then he could make a big name for himself on the continental stage.

I'll admit I wasn't all that impressed by Johnson the few times I'd seen him for the u21s and 'Boro before he went to City, but he's shown a type of class on the ball that you'll never tire of watching and one that is so rare it's almost unique in British wingers. He's not just a great driving dribbler with a strong shot, like Bale, but he's got excellent close control and, more importantly, an eye for a pass. He's still got inconsistency in his game to the extent that Bale doesn't have(any more), but he's got a level of potential above him, I think.

Still, Bale might well be the better player because he knows how to use his assets, we've seen that, but if Johnson does the same he can be a star for club and country at the top level to the extent I can't see Bale reaching.

Bale is slightly a more developed player and is better positionally, but I think AJ is the superior footballer in terms of skill, and thats a difficult comparison because Bale is excellent.

Different players, different styles, different needs for their team. Spuds need a winger who can get gets regularly, he reminds me a bit like Petrov was for us. What we need from a winger is someone who hugs the line and gives perfect crosses time and time again. Both players work in the tactics their manager gives them which are very different.

tldr..
bale = more direct player who will reliably score goals
aj = more skillful player who will reliably set up goals. we have better strikers than spuds, so we dont need wingers to be scoring. if they can its a bonus.

it is quite astonishing how good bale is now I remember reading a stat about a year ago saying that spurs had never won with bale in the side.

Definately Adam Johnson. You can see he has pace and agility, but also you can see he's clever. He's know's exactly what to do, when to do it and where to go with it. It's just class.

But also, I want to include something about what Harry Redknapp said tonight after the tottenham. As much as I admire him as a manager as he has done well with tottenham, I did notice how clever and sneaky he was. First of all reminding the interviewer what position they finished last year (4th), and then immediately saying "it's not as if I've bought a new team, I guess I've just worked with the same team and instilled confidence". Which is fair enough, but it's like he was making a dig at man city, but without actually mentioning them. Clever ;)

(Sorry I added this point onto the thread, I know it has nothing to do with the topic but it's the closest topic I could find relating to the spuds)

this seems like a futile exercise,

this is a City forum with City fans who are obviously gonna pick Johnson

you'd be better off asking neutral fans or asking about non city players

ps as a Spurs fan I'd obviously pick Bale

chase of spades said:
Cant believe how many people like Bale,he is so over rated,could hardly get in the team not long before last season,he has scored a couple of goals and eveyone is avin a wank fest,Fuck off Bale!

AJ is miles better then that welsh prick,miles better!
Better taking people on,better running at defenders,better at creating things and making things happen,etc etc.........

Bale is one of my most hated players,comes close to Chuckle!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Any need for that? You fucking **** :)

Brwned said:
born_and_bred_a_BLUE said:

He was very poor but I think it's harsh to say he'll crumble, or to single him out as a confidence player - almost every attacking player is a confidence player to some extent. Bale had a terrible run of form after his move but there's a reason both us and Spurs were in for him, he was talented. He is talented.

I'd back Johnson if he were in my team though, he's got a beauty and versatility to his play Bale won't ever have, so if he does bring it all together it'll be the makings of a fantastic player. Bale's devastating and has the ability to single-handledly rip apart a defence, and he's an excellent defensive asset in terms of balance and cover, but he's not got a lot of variety to his game I don't think. With the way he's playing he won't need it to become a very good player, but I'm not sure about him at the very top level. Champions League will be a good indication though, if he does well then he could make a big name for himself on the continental stage.

I'll admit I wasn't all that impressed by Johnson the few times I'd seen him for the u21s and 'Boro before he went to City, but he's shown a type of class on the ball that you'll never tire of watching and one that is so rare it's almost unique in British wingers. He's not just a great driving dribbler with a strong shot, like Bale, but he's got excellent close control and, more importantly, an eye for a pass. He's still got inconsistency in his game to the extent that Bale doesn't have(any more), but he's got a level of potential above him, I think.

Still, Bale might well be the better player because he knows how to use his assets, we've seen that, but if Johnson does the same he can be a star for club and country at the top level to the extent I can't see Bale reaching.

That's a good post for A rag ;) AJ for me, Bale is more direct and to me Spurs base all their play around him. Johnno is better on the right wing and is two footed so his versatility just edges it although Bale is a cracking player.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.