AJ or Bale?

Although Bale is a quality player, no doubt about that, I cant get enough of AJ at the moment- he is playing class!

Capello will surely regret his decision to take someone like SWP instead of an internationally unknown talent like AJ. That gives opponents a headache as they havent seen too much of him.

If we do run with a 2012 Great Britain team, I think Bale would be one of the very few non-english players who would make the cut!!

Anybody who picks Bale is bit silly. Never seen him take on 2 - 3 oppo or win pens on a consistent basis. He has a decent shot, but so has Johnno, and he delivers a decent cross as does AJ.

AJ plays on both wings and interlinks play like Bale can only dream of. Does Bale have AJ's Dancing Feet? Not on your life!

AJ for the absolute win!

the post above is correct, bale cant really take on more than one player at a time, cause he knocks it round them and uses his pace. bales in the form of his life, and is absolutley incredible, but i think ajs a better player because he uses his technical ability to get round players, theyr quite different player imho<br /><br />-- Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:10 am --<br /><br />the post above is correct, bale cant really take on more than one player at a time, cause he knocks it round them and uses his pace. bales in the form of his life, and is absolutley incredible, but i think ajs a better player because he uses his technical ability to get round players, theyr quite different player imho

AJ purely because you can't really judge on talent because they're so close so I'm picking AJ because Bale looks like a chimp with 10 foot Jedward hair.

marcspurs said:
Zin 'messiah' Zimmer said:
Johno is already showing incredible potential in that he a relative newbie..... its took bale 3 years to really step up to the mark where as aj is evolving at a fair greater rate...... for me aj will be one of the best wide men in the game within 12 months. Don't get me wrong, monkey man is exceptional but lacks the versatility of our jewel.

Ignorance is bliss eh.......

"It took Bale 3 years to really step up".... well he joined Spurs aged 17.... played 3 games and got injured, then played 7 games in 18 months because of injuries.... he came into the side in January this year aged 20 when Assou-Ekotto required an operation.

Adam Johnson is 23, 3 years older than Bale.... so while you maybe correct in saying Bale took longer.... in effect he has not...

As it happens they are both exceptionally talented players, as a Spurs fan I would pick Bale, 4 assists and 2 goals this season already this season, if he stays fit, I think he will end up somewhere around 15 goals and 25+ assists.....

you seriously think a player will have 25 direct assist in 1 season? you would need to Messi and Fabregas combined to get that type of stat. So Bale only played 10 games in 3 years? I'm sure I read last season he went over 20 prem games without tasting victory? not including cup appearances, Bale is aslo 21, so only 2 years younger than AJ, we were stating that AJ settled into City pretty much after a handful of games, whereas it took Bale several years, before u start running your cockney mouth off look at the stats

marcspurs said:
Zin 'messiah' Zimmer said:
Johno is already showing incredible potential in that he a relative newbie..... its took bale 3 years to really step up to the mark where as aj is evolving at a fair greater rate...... for me aj will be one of the best wide men in the game within 12 months. Don't get me wrong, monkey man is exceptional but lacks the versatility of our jewel.

Ignorance is bliss eh.......

"It took Bale 3 years to really step up".... well he joined Spurs aged 17.... played 3 games and got injured, then played 7 games in 18 months because of injuries.... he came into the side in January this year aged 20 when Assou-Ekotto required an operation.

Adam Johnson is 23, 3 years older than Bale.... so while you maybe correct in saying Bale took longer.... in effect he has not...

As it happens they are both exceptionally talented players, as a Spurs fan I would pick Bale, 4 assists and 2 goals this season already this season, if he stays fit, I think he will end up somewhere around 15 goals and 25+ assists.....

15 goals and 25 assists? If By that you mean he'll be on half that by January. I'd worry as there will be a cheeky bid from city!

(think you're deluded though)

bluejase said:
Brwned said:
He was very poor but I think it's harsh to say he'll crumble, or to single him out as a confidence player - almost every attacking player is a confidence player to some extent. Bale had a terrible run of form after his move but there's a reason both us and Spurs were in for him, he was talented. He is talented.

I'd back Johnson if he were in my team though, he's got a beauty and versatility to his play Bale won't ever have, so if he does bring it all together it'll be the makings of a fantastic player. Bale's devastating and has the ability to single-handledly rip apart a defence, and he's an excellent defensive asset in terms of balance and cover, but he's not got a lot of variety to his game I don't think. With the way he's playing he won't need it to become a very good player, but I'm not sure about him at the very top level. Champions League will be a good indication though, if he does well then he could make a big name for himself on the continental stage.

I'll admit I wasn't all that impressed by Johnson the few times I'd seen him for the u21s and 'Boro before he went to City, but he's shown a type of class on the ball that you'll never tire of watching and one that is so rare it's almost unique in British wingers. He's not just a great driving dribbler with a strong shot, like Bale, but he's got excellent close control and, more importantly, an eye for a pass. He's still got inconsistency in his game to the extent that Bale doesn't have(any more), but he's got a level of potential above him, I think.

Still, Bale might well be the better player because he knows how to use his assets, we've seen that, but if Johnson does the same he can be a star for club and country at the top level to the extent I can't see Bale reaching.

That's a good post for A rag ;) AJ for me, Bale is more direct and to me Spurs base all their play around him. Johnno is better on the right wing and is two footed so his versatility just edges it although Bale is a cracking player.

LOL we base all our play around him!! Because of course Luka Modric is just there for his physical presence, Aaron Lennon to add a bit of defensive steel down our right flank and of course Huddlestone's just a hoofer, who only makes it into the side due to brick-wall like blocking qualities!!

It's a good question and worthy of a great debate.

From my point of view, in Bale, I see a quality left sided player, with a sweet left foot, and good ability to penetrate to good effect down that flank.

In AJ I see a player who can play on the right, or the left, who can take on and beat players, and who also has good penetration, and his winning of penalties is proof of that. He also has a sweet left foot, and although he keeps trying to replicate that superb goal against Sunderland, perhaps too often, I don't begrudge him trying.

So whilst Bale might have made most of Spurs goals, that possibly shows Spurs to be one dimensional, more than it shows that he's more effective than AJ.

On balance, I would prefer AJ because of his flexibility in playing on both flanks, and with playing alongside David Silva and Carlito, he is only going to get better, wheres I believe Bale is either at the top of his game, and can't get any better, or is just having a purple patch.

Obviously as a Spurs fan I'm going to say Bale.

But seeing the impact Johnson made last season I really wish Spurs had signed him, or even tried to sign him. Looks like one hell of a player.

Bale is playing well, and is only young, so he's only going to improve and add more to his game, as is Johnson. They're both excellent players at present. No one can deny that.

It's a difficult debate because they play in different ways. The only thing that they are the same in is that they are both left footed, but can do things with both feet quite well too.

To say Spurs are one dimensional is ridiculous. Bale was excellent last night and the focal point of quite a few of our attacks, but Lennon was back to near his best last night, terrorising their LB all game. We also have Modric to come back through injury. Crouch showed last night and at Eastlands last season that he is a big game player. We play good passing football and if that fails to work we can go long to Crouch. We can play through the middle and play out on the wings. Not one dimensional at all. We do need a Tevez/Drogba/Torres though. Woops, gone off on a bit of a tangent there now.

Anyway, this debate is void, two different players.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.