Al Jazeera vs. Sky

What would the demise of Sky mean for Manchester City?

Are Premier League big boys set to get richer?

sky-sports-300x180.jpg

Are you fed up with the monotonous tones of Alan Smith? Are you increasingly annoyed that Gary Neville has defied expectations and turned out to be a good pundit? Or do you worry Jamie Redknapp will injure himself every time he trips over his own words? Then fear not because Sky’s stint as the broadcasting powerhouse may soon be under threat.

According to Ross Hair, the head of ESPN for Europe, the Middle East and Africa, Qatar-owned broadcaster al-Jazeera are considering mounting a challenge for the domestic TV coverage of the Premier League.

Hair told the Evening Standard: “We’re expecting another Premier League auction in April or May. An al-Jazeera bid is a realistic prospect.”

The current three-year deal is already worth an estimated £1.782bn and a bidding war between Rupert Murdoch’s vast empire and the financial muscle of al-Jazeera would surely see that figure sky rocket.

Rumours revolving around a potential migration to the Premier League have been escalating since al-Jazeera beat the French premium television channel Canal Plus to the Ligue 1 and Champions League rights.

However, the Qatar broadcasters first ensured the purchase of French giants PSG was completed by Qatar Investment Authority so they could build a brand around one of the biggest clubs in the nations capital, before setting their sights on the naming rights. At present they don’t possess the same influence in the UK but there are certainly similarities with the recent Abu Dhabi inspired takeover at Manchester City.

The upcoming auction may also see a surprise new candidate enter the fray with technology firm Apple said to be weighing up a bid. According to reports it perceives Premier League football as the ideal type of premium content that could draw UK users to the Apple TV service. Apple boasts a financial arm that can dig deep into the companies $70 billion cash reserves so few can write them off in their self-titled “assault on the living room”.

The ramifications for Sky losing out would be monumental, having accumulated a large portion of its subscribers through its unrivalled sports package. It will be interesting to see how they react to this impending challenge, having thrived for so many years without a worthy rival in the market.

What will this mean for the viewing audience? Are people willing to leave Sky and follow the coverage to new, uncharted waters? Perhaps one positive will see more people flock back to the pubs or even down to their local club in search of their football fix.

Last year the FA had to accept a 30% drop in the income for its two-year FA Cup and England games deal renewal with ITV but the Premier League has always been a very shrewd negotiator and this new interest should hail a lucrative new pay day for all concerned.

However, there has been growing unrest amongst the top clubs regarding their percentage from the overall income, with some even hinting that they could break away and seek their own deals in the future. Liverpool’s managing director, Ian Ayre insists that the Premier League must do its upmost to compete with the likes of Real Madrid and Barcelona.

“If Real Madrid, Barcelona or other big European clubs realise their international media value, where does that leave Liverpool and Man United? We’ll just share ours because we’ll all be nice to each other?”

There is certainly evidence to back his claims when you take into account Liverpool received around £18m from the overall pot last year whereas Barcelona’s and Real Madrid’s engineered deals with Mediapro that saw them obtain a staggering £136m.

Ayre suggests that whilst it’s fair that the domestic TV rights are shared equally, the ‘big’ clubs should receive a greater slice of the International revenue because of the superior popularity of Liverpool, Man United, Chelsea and Arsenal in Asia and the Middle East.

With that in mind, does the Premier League elite deserve a bigger percentage of TV deals or will this serve only to increase the gulf in wealth with clubs outside the top 6? Would a break away turn the Premier League into a less competitive and exciting division?

How do we feel now we're in the life boat?

http://www.footballfancast.com/2012/02/football-blogs/are-premier-league-big-boys-set-to-get-richer

Re: What would the demise of Sky mean for Manchester City?

hope sky get it wife dosnt mind me havin sport if she can have movies and other shite would just mean us forking out more money as usual

It's the usual scare mongering for sky to take note not to reduce the rights of broadcasting British football!!

Sky will be fucked if they lose it because I for one will be cancelling if they lose the rights

All this will mean is that wages and transfer fees will go up, clubs will still be unprofitable and it will be paid for by Joe Public.

Sky's entire business is predicated on having the Premier League rights. They just simply wouldn't allow themselves to be in a position to be outbid. And to maintain margins they will pass the cost onto the consumer.

waspish said:
It's the usual scare mongering for sky to take note not to reduce the rights of broadcasting British football!!

Sky will be fucked if they lose it because I for one will be cancelling if they lose the rights
^^^This^^^

I mostly watch Freeview and the only time I watch Sky is for football. But what happens if Apple win and make the Premiership Apple TV only?

Apple getting footie could be interesting.

Dribble said:
waspish said:

^^^This^^^

I mostly watch Freeview and the only time I watch Sky is for football. But what happens if Apple win and make the Premiership Apple TV only?

If apple buy the rights one thing for sure they'll do it right...

No chance of em buying it though sky will buy again for 2 billion

Can't remember where, but sure i read recently that the obligations for europes clubs to partake in the champions league is due up in a couple of years, with the threat of the elite clubs breaking away to form their own european super league looming large.
With the clubs being greedy, and able to operate outside of their own national agreements i wouldn't be surprised to see a major bid (sky/al jezeera/apple etc) for broadcasting rights.
Without knowing the format, if the new league didn't run concurrently with any domestic leagues as the champions league does now, any Premier league broadcasting rights without the elite teams would be as worthwhile as the broadcasting rights for the SPL or Championship. Can't see me or many others paying a subscription for that as well, and would just get cable and any other bolt on that they would offer or transfer top the new platform entirely if it wasn't too costly.

Not sure if Al jezeera would be good for City. Obviously the middle eastern slant helps our exposure, but Qatar have consistenly been linked with the rags.

ALBY ALBY ALBY said:
Can't remember where, but sure i read recently that the obligations for europes clubs to partake in the champions league is due up in a couple of years, with the threat of the elite clubs breaking away to form their own european super league looming large.
With the clubs being greedy, and able to operate outside of their own national agreements i wouldn't be surprised to see a major bid (sky/al jezeera/apple etc) for broadcasting rights.
Without knowing the format, if the new league didn't run concurrently with any domestic leagues as the champions league does now, any Premier league broadcasting rights without the elite teams would be as worthwhile as the broadcasting rights for the SPL or Championship. Can't see me or many others paying a subscription for that as well, and would just get cable and any other bolt on that they would offer or transfer top the new platform entirely if it wasn't too costly.

Not sure if Al jezeera would be good for City. Obviously the middle eastern slant helps our exposure, but Qatar have consistenly been linked with the rags.

Yep 2014 the UEFA champs league rights are up and with FFP they brought in if say someone else bought the rights FFP will be no more

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.