Al Jazeera vs. Sky

Sky and BT Premier League broadcast deal: Q&A
Where will the money go? How can I watch football on BT? All your questions answered...

premierleague_2247941b.jpg

How can I watch football on BT?
BT already has a TV service delivered over broadband connections through a set-top box. It says it will also be launching a “football-focused” channel for its games and will aim to provide access from “as many platforms as possible”. It will even entertain sub-contracting the rights back to Sky but BT will not be a benign bedfellow: it aims to use football to become the nation’s predominant media presence.

Why did it cost so much?
Sergio Agüero settling the title in added time on the season’s final day was a fine and timely marketing tool for the Premier League with its tender for broadcast rights about to open. There was (rather implausible) talk of a bid from the Qatar-owned news channel Al Jazeera, while Google and Apple were also linked. The League’s chief executive, Richard Scudamore, described this as helpful “competitive tension”.

What does this mean for the Football League?
Under the present deal Football League clubs take £372 million from the total broadcast deal, the rump of which goes to clubs relegated from the top flight in ‘parachute payments’ worth £48 million over four years to each of them. That works out as £2.2 million each for the rest of the Championship clubs.

With Premier League domestic-broadcast income rising around 73 per cent, can the Football League expect a commensurate rise?
“I don’t want to get drawn on that,” Scudamore told The Daily Telegraph. “That’s for the 20 clubs to decide. But there’s always a line of people around the block outside Gloucester Place looking for their share.”

Will ticket prices fall?
No one knows yet, but it may not be the clubs’ top priority.

I expect one consolation goal awarded to Aguero every match from now on for ensuring a financial stable future for the league. It's the very least they can do.

bluenova said:
I love how this is always presented as exciting news, when ultimately it simply means that we pay more for Sky.

Don't subscribe then. I've never had SKY and don't intend to
I have a season ticket so go to all the home games. I watch away games on the internet and if we're one of the live games on telly, I'll go to the pub

bluemoondays said:
brummie blue said:
ESPN lose rights to show Prem games from 2013/2014, BT have won the rights! Sky's package remains unchanged.
Not quite true, BT won package A which I believe is first pick so they will get all the big derbies, title deciders etc that Sky have had previously. Still the same amount of games true, but the top games will be on BT I believe.

Not true either they get 18 first picks over a season and are only showing Saturday 12.45 games. Sky actually have more games a season under the new contract

Mate of mine works for BT and he says they've had a note out confirming them winning the rights to 38 matches including 18 of their choice (ie the glamour matches) and the first game of the season. They are planning to launch a new channel (as you'd expect) through their own network but will make it available on other platforms.

Probably only confirms what has already reported but there you go.

strongbowholic said:
Mate of mine works for BT and he says they've had a note out confirming them winning the rights to 38 matches including 18 of their choice (ie the glamour matches) and the first game of the season. They are planning to launch a new channel (as you'd expect) through their own network but will make it available on other platforms.

Probably only confirms what has already reported but there you go.

Yes, that's an important point, BT haven't inherited ESPN's slots, they've bagged "package A", the Saturday 12-45 slot where the teams in the CL prefer to have their matches moved for live coverage, so they could very easily get at least one of the derbies.

Sky got 5 of the 7 packages. So thats the same as the last 1. I think Espn will pick up the last 2 packages if they dont then they will be fucked and people will just leave ESPN so its vital for them to hold onto those packages.

The Pink Panther said:
bluenova said:
I love how this is always presented as exciting news, when ultimately it simply means that we pay more for Sky.

Don't subscribe then. I've never had SKY and don't intend to
I have a season ticket so go to all the home games. I watch away games on the internet and if we're one of the live games on telly, I'll go to the pub
This is me also, when I am not at away games.

leighton said:
Sky got 5 of the 7 packages. So thats the same as the last 1. I think Espn will pick up the last 2 packages if they dont then they will be fucked and people will just leave ESPN so its vital for them to hold onto those packages.
BT got the other 2 packages, including package A which is 18 of the big games.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.