Al-Nassr to be (maybe) invited into the 2024/25 Champions League?

Why not Melbourne City?

Where does it end?

Playing devils advocate…

Why not include all teams? Or invite the last X champions of the Copa America, NORTH American, Africa and Asian Chanpions Leagues

Make it a world championship. Kill the club World Cup.

Is there anything special about being European champions other than we basically think it means we’re the best in the world? Is the “Europe” bit actually important?

I’m sure if modern aviation was around in the 1950s l’equipe would have invited the South American giants of the time to their international club competition, but it wasn’t financially viable.

I suspect the only reason UEFA hasn’t done it yet is FIFA won’t allow it because they don’t want uefa being bigger than them.

The obvious drawback is travel for the fans, although it would be quicker and cheaper to get to NY or Egypt than Qarabag or Yekaterinburg or some of the other central Asian or simply Asian clubs already playing in “European” competitions.

But has fan travel ever mattered to the powers that be? If it’s just a daydream, we could make the clubs heavily subsidise it out of all the extra money they’d get.

Setting the practicalities aside for now, I guess what I’m asking is do we actually care about the geographical location of the teams in our midweek international cup competition to determine the best club in the world?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.