Al-Nassr to be (maybe) invited into the 2024/25 Champions League?

Could be a long International break!!

All bollocks according to UEFA

What I’m saying is it’s as likely as the US 39th premier league game.

Which we’ve been waiting about 18 years for.
Of course it's bollock. UEFA's entry criteria for the 2024-25 CL were announced many months ago.
It could happen in time, but the novelty with Saudi football will wear off before their teams enter the CL. There are only so many people who support players rather than teams.

Playing devils advocate…

Why not include all teams? Or invite the last X champions of the Copa America, NORTH American, Africa and Asian Chanpions Leagues

Make it a world championship. Kill the club World Cup.

Is there anything special about being European champions other than we basically think it means we’re the best in the world? Is the “Europe” bit actually important?

I’m sure if modern aviation was around in the 1950s l’equipe would have invited the South American giants of the time to their international club competition, but it wasn’t financially viable.

I suspect the only reason UEFA hasn’t done it yet is FIFA won’t allow it because they don’t want uefa being bigger than them.

The obvious drawback is travel for the fans, although it would be quicker and cheaper to get to NY or Egypt than Qarabag or Yekaterinburg or some of the other central Asian or simply Asian clubs already playing in “European” competitions.

But has fan travel ever mattered to the powers that be? If it’s just a daydream, we could make the clubs heavily subsidise it out of all the extra money they’d get.

Setting the practicalities aside for now, I guess what I’m asking is do we actually care about the geographical location of the teams in our midweek international cup competition to determine the best club in the world?
City can't play on Sunday, be playing in Montivideo on Wednesday, then back playing away on the Saturday.
There's gonna be some issues.

Yep, you abandoned the dippers because they stopped winning…! Now you spend your days surfing this forum, playing the classroom devils advocate or just talking a load bollocks to illicit a reaction…!
If you read my post explaining my position you would realise you are talking rubbish..
I want Liverpool to be rubbish.. I want them not to win a trophy for next 15 years.. even better a relagatiin for a few season..
If that was to happen it would flush out all the gloryhunters.. Tourist and Out of Town fans.. stop Anfield being Disneyland and Alton Towers reduce the demand for tickets which would lower ticket prices and allow local fans to return to supporting there home town club..
I will promise you this.. you will understand and relate to everything I have just said in about 15 years time.. Mark my words..

Just a thought here, what does this mean for the Geordies?

Will the Saudis push more money into their teams and give the Geordies the scraps?
I think this is the crux of it, there's no chance of it happening it's just the anti Toon version of Kun wanting to go to Real/115 charges etc.

It would be like the turkeys voting for Xmas if they did that. All it does is give more gravitas to the Saudi league and encourage more and more players to go there as the prestige increases. Europe can’t compete with their wages, but the reality is the CL is a huge pull for any top players and UEFA need to protect that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.