Alan Sugar

Alan Sugar is a wanker. He almost certainly isn't a racist. His joke was mildly offensive and ill advised.

Anyone feigning offence at this should be ashamed of themselves.
They are the type of people who have created the febrile environment we operate in; where debate is shut down by shouting "Racist!".

It's easier to imply someone is a racist than to debate issues relating to sovereignty and the economy in the Brexit thread for example.
We need to defend and protect freedom of speech, we mustn't let the 'liberals' close down our ability to offend and insult.

in regard to your last sentence it is too late unfortunately.

Alan Sugar is a wanker. He almost certainly isn't a racist. His joke was mildly offensive and ill advised.

They are the type of people who have created the febrile environment we operate in; where debate is shut down by shouting "Racist!".

It's easier to imply someone is a racist than to debate issues relating to sovereignty and the economy in the Brexit thread for example.
We need to defend and protect freedom of speech, we mustn't let the 'liberals' close down our ability to offend and insult.

In my experience the only people who get antsy about their freedom of speech being supposedly curtailed by the "liberal lefties" are people who resent the fact that they can't be racist/sexist/homophobic anymore without getting called out.

I've no problem with race-based jokes per se, as they can often be about holding up a mirror to racism or playing with expectations and stereotypes (same goes for religion, gender and sexuality). In the right context, with the right audience and coming from the right comedian, that particular joke that Sugar told might be better received and regarded as being a joke about stereotypes, as opposed to itself being lazy stereotyping. It's risky, and obviously some pull it off better than others.

However, I would bet my house that if a rival businessmen had tweeted a joke about Jewish stereotypes, Sugar would have been raging. That's what irks me about it - his hypocrisy. The fact that he thought he could pull this joke off (as a public figure using a public forum) probably speaks more about his stupidity and arrogance than about his racism. The doubling-down afterwards was equally as embarrassing.

In my experience the only people who get antsy about their freedom of speech being supposedly curtailed by the "liberal lefties" are people who resent the fact that they can't be racist/sexist/homophobic anymore without getting called out.

And you are a classic example of why it is exasperating debating or trying to debate with anyone on the left.

The bold bit - this is what I think. It was lazy and falls into the casual racism field, where such a comment can be used and abused to justify worse. It's fine to point it out, I think, but doesn't tell you anything about Sugar for certain.

Checking out ks55’s posts has been fantastic, awesome. The thought of the team bringing out shades and handbags for their team photo is fucking legendary.

Thanks for brightening my day.

ps. Sugar is a thick cûnt.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.