Alan Turing

Brilliant news,shame it took so long & it took a public outcry & lobbying by some extraordinary people to get it done.
For those that are now saying "what about others",start a petition,spend 12hrs a day fighting for what you want & contact every media outlet you can think of to promote your case,etc,etc.
In short get off your arse & do something about it.

Plaything of the gods said:
Whilst I welcome it, this royal pardon is purely political and has no moral or legal basis. If Turing has been given this posthumous pardon because he was convicted of a crime - consenting, victimless homosexuality - which is no longer regarded as a crime, then all other victims of that law should also receive pardons. If the pardon is because he is a "special person", then we are in the realm of Rooney and the FA and Captain Fantastic and the law courts, where due process and impartiality goes out the window and those deemed of national importance are placed above the law. It should be all or nothing, not this sop to the LGBTRDJUF lobby.

Totally agree. excellent post but clearly against the rest on here. I accept he was brilliant but that does not mean he should be pardoned. What he did was considered a crime back then, unless you are going to pardon everyone you cannot pardon one person just because he was clever.

Blue Mist said:
Whilst I welcome it, this royal pardon is purely political and has no moral or legal basis. If Turing has been given this posthumous pardon because he was convicted of a crime - consenting, victimless homosexuality - which is no longer regarded as a crime, then all other victims of that law should also receive pardons. If the pardon is because he is a "special person", then we are in the realm of Rooney and the FA and Captain Fantastic and the law courts, where due process and impartiality goes out the window and those deemed of national importance are placed above the law. It should be all or nothing, not this sop to the LGBTRDJUF lobby.

Totally agree. excellent post but clearly against the rest on here. I accept he was brilliant but that does not mean he should be pardoned. What he did was considered a crime back then, unless you are going to pardon everyone you cannot pardon one person just because he was clever.
I have to say, I reluctantly agree with this.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
Blue Mist said:

Reluctant because I wrote it !

Blue Mist said:
Blue Mist said:

Reluctant because it means agreeing with me.
Which must really hurt.

Blue Mist said:
nijinsky's fetlocks said:
Blue Mist said:

Reluctant because it means agreeing with me.
Which must really hurt.

Oh pooh, have I just lost my 'right wing nut job credentials' ?

I have you down as more centre-right than nutjob, mate.
Nutjobs are really out there, like johnsonontheleft, who is so far to the right that he actually goes full circle and gives himself a reach-around, whilst undergoing a lobotomy half way.
If that makes any sense whatsoever.

Blue Mist said:
Blue Mist said:

No mate, because he was a truly remarkable man who did so much for this country who was found guilty of an offence which is an abomination to any right thinking person today, but you can't rewrite history.

What about all the teenage boys who were hanged in the 18th century for low level stealing, for example? Where does it end?

He shouldn't be afforded, as you say, special treatment, just because he was clever.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.