Alan Turing

Dakeb said:
gordondaviesmoustache said:
Dakeb said:
Forgiveness by a royal is not justice.
It's an interesting academic point, but given he was prosecuted by the Crown it is surely appropriate that he is pardoned by it. In fact to split hairs he's not been forgiven, or anything, by a royal -he's received a pardon from the Crown - a clear distinction imo.

What would your suggestion be, given the prevailing set up?

Get all such convictions quashed and the records expunged

The trouble is no Government would do it, they want a 'nice' 'pleasing' look at us headline. So everyone else is left with a conviction because they were not famous.
And if we did do as you suggest, where would we stop ? You cannot look at a historic law and a conviction and judge it on todays standards. What about all those shot for cowardice in the Great War ? Most I am sure were suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder , but it wasn't known about then. Do we pardon them ?

Carstairs said:
steviemc said:
UlsterCitizen said:
Chemically castrated, wow, seems incomprehensible now.
It's still used today. Although in Britain I think it has to be administered on a voluntary basis.

As it was in the '60s

Turing opted for chemical castration rather then incarceration.

Not that that makes any difference, of course.

It did to his bollocks.

Dakeb said:
Does that go for all crimes that we no longer view in the same way as previously?

Conversely, should slave-owners be posthumously convicted of offences because we view them differently today?

No. Only this crime. Any others can be reviewed on their own merits.
Only this crime because it relates to sexuality?

No, because it's an abhorrent law that had no place in justice and affects people still alive or in living memory.

Blue Mist said:
Dakeb said:
It's an interesting academic point, but given he was prosecuted by the Crown it is surely appropriate that he is pardoned by it. In fact to split hairs he's not been forgiven, or anything, by a royal -he's received a pardon from the Crown - a clear distinction imo.

What would your suggestion be, given the prevailing set up?

The trouble is no Government would do it, they want a 'nice' 'pleasing' look at us headline. So everyone else is left with a conviction because they were not famous.
And if we did do as you suggest, where would we stop ? You cannot look at a historic law and a conviction and judge it on todays standards. What about all those shot for cowardice in the Great War ? Most I am sure were suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder , but it wasn't known about then. Do we pardon them ?

Don't try and group all injustices together. And I'm not suggesting making criminals out of historic people to be judged by today's standards. But I am suggesting clearing the names of people wrongfully convicted by today's standards.

But yes, each historic case type ought to be reviewed on its own merits. Should the memory of innocent people be allowed to continue to be tarnished?

Dakeb said:
Blue Mist said:
Dakeb said:

Don't try and group all injustices together. And I'm not suggesting making criminals out of historic people to be judged by today's standards. But I am suggesting clearing the names of people wrongfully convicted by today's standards.

But yes, each historic case type ought to be reviewed on its own merits. Should the memory of innocent people be allowed to continue to be tarnished?

But why are they innocent ? I fully accept we are more enlightened but it was the law at the time so he was guilty as the law stood.
IF we now say all homosexuals should be pardoned we should then look at all laws which we now think were wrong.
That would be ludicrous, where would we stop.
My point is the government have made a silly cheap gesture and it stinks.

Blue Mist said:
Dakeb said:
Blue Mist said:

But why are they innocent ? I fully accept we are more enlightened but it was the law at the time so he was guilty as the law stood.
IF we now say all homosexuals should be pardoned we should then look at all laws which we now think were wrong.

I agree. The pardon is a hollow gesture.They cannot truly right the wrongs done to these people. They can clear their names though for their descendants benefit, and to underline that we longer have a place for bigotry.

I think we should address all such ludicrous laws and convictions that are in living memory, let's say in the last 100 years. If a particular law is deemed illegal, all convictions under that law could be quashed automatically, not even on a case by case basis.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASfAPOiq_eQ[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF48sl15OCg[/youtube]

Dakeb said:
Blue Mist said:
Dakeb said:

I agree. The pardon is a hollow gesture.They cannot truly right the wrongs done to these people. They can clear their names though for their descendants benefit, and to underline that we longer have a place for bigotry.

I think we should address all such ludicrous laws and convictions that are in living memory, let's say in the last 100 years. If a particular law is deemed illegal, all convictions under that law could be quashed automatically, not even on a case by case basis.

And that is the only way, all stupid, ignorant laws, including alleged cowardice in the wars, should be looked at and pardons given. Not hollow political gestures that mean nothing.

Dakeb said:
We are at war with Eastasia. We have always been at war with Eastasia.

The man was an imposter.

'Twas the Americans who cracked the Enigma code.

I saw a film about it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.