Alcohol, hints, tips, advice etc.

17 days for me and soon 18.
finish work on thursday for my 2 days off and gagging for a beer.
i dont feel any different/ better,just saved a bit of money.
Feeling better is a mindset. And the money saved adds up rapidly. Think of all the away trips you can do without worrying about money. Keep it up. Waking up with a clear head and a positive outlook on the upcoming day is a great feeling.

Not had a drink since I wished the lads a happy new year in The Britons Protection after the Everton home game and got the train home.

It has been tempting - a mate of mine who lives in Florida came home this last month and every weekend is a boozy night out. I went for a meal with them but then went home whilst they went on to the bars and clubs. I don't regret it for a moment, but it's hard at the time seeing 7 mates staggering off to a bar whilst you walk alone back to the car.

Had a short break in Germany two weeks ago and didn't touch it. I was in bed early and thus awake early enough to make full use of the rail pass I had. I feel like I am making a better fist of it this time. In 2021 and 2022, I had two 10-week spells of complete sobriety which cracked at the Norwich home game (first with fans at the Etihad for 18 months) and the Liverpool FA Cup semi-final last season. On those occasions, I did feel like I was marking off time and I could feel the weight of expectation. This time feels different - I feel a lot stronger and have already surpassed the 10-week mark.

The FA Cup semi-final this time will be about driving there and back on the day. Whilst the lads are staying over, I will be removing any and all temptations. I'll also be removing peer pressure from the equation. Alcohol before a game leaves me restless and distracted during it.

I just want to take my hat off to everyone on this thread who has shared a story. Alcohol issues are surprisingly more common than many people would think, and the world of City/football support is synonymous with drink. In fact, it's glorified through some of the songs we sing. Looking back, the songs about George Best were quite shameful but if I mentally keep telling myself that there's nothing macho about alcohol then it all goes away. It really is a mental adjustment.

Keep up the good fight, everyone.

I’ve not started going out until 9:30pm or so. As I never have alcohol at home then it stops me pre-drinking and also not having too much in the pub as it’s kicking out time at Midnight.

Last time I did this, I did chores at home, shopping, haircut and food by Midday. I’m normally still in bed after a session. Cutting down slowly but surely.

Deep into my second week now and sleep has improved without a doubt. However it seems my body is still even at this stage undergoing some changes because cold sweats have woke me up for the last two nights running which surprised me.

Watching lots of videos online as and when I can though and they help. Although the temptation physically was never the problem it was more the boredom in the evening so I must continue to find more and more solutions to keep it varied. Only so much telly/internet and reading one can do.

Joining a gym is one answer and I'll probably look into that but any other ideas welcome also.

Good luck everyone.

17 days for me and soon 18.
finish work on thursday for my 2 days off and gagging for a beer.
i dont feel any different/ better,just saved a bit of money.
It can take a while for the physical benefits to show. Especially if you've been drinking quite a bit for quite a while.
Can I ask, would you be trying to cut out alcohol if you hadn't been given an ultimation? Is this something that you're doing for you or because someone else wants this?
I only ask as the prospects of you commiting to it, having the mindset to recognise the positives, and ultimately succeeding, are far better if you're doing this because you recognise that its the right thing at the right time for you.

Deep into my second week now and sleep has improved without a doubt. However it seems my body is still even at this stage undergoing some changes because cold sweats have woke me up for the last two nights running which surprised me.

Watching lots of videos online as and when I can though and they help. Although the temptation physically was never the problem it was more the boredom in the evening so I must continue to find more and more solutions to keep it varied. Only so much telly/internet and reading one can do.

Joining a gym is one answer and I'll probably look into that but any other ideas welcome also.

Good luck everyone.
You're doing brilliantly.

While the time which is created by not drinking is quite novel at first, I know exactly what you mean about there sometimes being a bit too much of it.

Is there something that you always wanted to do but never thought that you'd have time to do?

I don't have any answers btw, I'm asking you the questions in the hope that it will prompt me to think about how I'd answer the same question. I don't seem to have the appetite to absorb myself in social media or crap TV the way I did when I drank.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.