Alcohol, hints, tips, advice etc.

I’m with you.

Ive drank every night, probably since around 25/02 this year, and tbf most days last year during Covid. I’ve gone through 2 personal losses this year and alcohol absolutely numbs the pain, and makes things feel better. With that being said I don’t see myself as an alcoholic, but I still see alcoholism as “alcohol dependent”, which I don’t feel I am - maybe I’m wrong.

I caught Covid in January so didn’t drink for 6-7 weeks, and I’ve not touched a drop since Saturday last week. I’ve had plenty of opportunities but always feel I can say no without issue; though I’m on an all dayer for the Leicester away game.

It feels great to feel great in the morning, I’ve never suffered from hangovers but I do feel the “I know I’ve had a drink” feeling. Not missed that.

Amongst everything else, it costs a fortune doesn’t it?!? I checked an app I use which tracks your spending (Open Banking), and it told me I spent £364 in my local last month, and £133 in wetherspoons, thats not including places I’ve had a beer elsewhere. AND it doesn’t include the bottles of JD or Rum from the supermarkets, the ice and everything in between
I’m pretty much on the same page as you mate. I never sufffer from withdrawal from alcohol and can (and do) go without it for fairly sustained periods and I can certainly enjoy a night out without it, even in the company of others who are drinking. I’m going to Leicester but have decided not to drink, for example - but I am definitely what would be objectively be described as having a drink problem and quite possibly by some as a low level functioning alcoholic. Consume about 50 units in a normal week. Sometimes more, sometimes less. If I’m slightly the other side of the ‘alcoholic’ line it honestly makes no difference to me, and nor will it to my liver. I drink what I drink and my liver and my body more generally doesn’t care what label is ascribed to that drinking.

Get these red flags from time to time and I tend to heed them, although it generally takes a couple of weeks to stop, usually because I have social events that are planned in that I’m loath to compromise on. I know to some that statement would send some alarm bells about my ability to control my drinking but I’ll readily concede that my relationship with alcohol could reasonably be viewed as unhealthy. I’m aware of the risks and I carry on regardless because I enjoy it, the effect it has on me, the person I am when I’m drunk and the way it enhances social settings. I love being pissed and it actually makes me into a nicer person in the main, which is a blessing for me and those around me. I make no apologies for any of that, but I know I’ve got to manage the risk if I’m likely to last another 20 or so years. It’s about striking a balance, or at least trying to.

I’m pretty much on the same page as you mate. I never sufffer from withdrawal from alcohol and can (and do) go without it for fairly sustained periods and I can certainly enjoy a night out without it, even in the company of others who are drinking. I’m going to Leicester but have decided not to drink, for example - but I’ve definitely got what would be objectively be described as a drink problem and quite possibly by some as a low level functioning alcoholic. Consume about 50 units in a normal week. Sometimes more, sometimes less. If I’m slightly the other side of the ‘alcoholic’ line it honestly makes no difference to me, and nor will it to my liver. I drink what I drink and my liver and my body more generally doesn’t care what label is ascribed to that drinking.

Get these red flags from time to time and I tend to heed them, although it generally takes a couple of weeks to stop, usually because I have social events that are planned in that I’m loath to compromise on. I know to some that statement would send some alarm bells about my ability to control my drinking but I’ll readily concede that my relationship with alcohol could reasonably be viewed as unhealthy. I’m aware of the risks and I carry on regardless because I enjoy it, the effect it has on me, the person I am when I’m drunk and the way it enhances social settings. I love being pissed and it actually makes me into a nicer person on the main. I make no apologies for any of that, but I know I’ve got to manage the risk if I’m likely to last another 20 or so years. It’s about striking a balance, or at least trying to.
Absolutely, and I count myself as lucky at this point that I’m of a nature that allows me to say no to a beer, and carry on. The balance is the main thing for me, at times I look back and think fucking he’ll when didn’t I have a beer? That’s when I usually knock it on the head for a bit

I definitely need to put the brakes on for a month or two. Going to aim for complete abstinence in October and November, but will probably fall a couple of weeks short. Last time was from 27th December and was supposed to be until the end of January, but fell off the waggon after three and a half weeks when my brother unexpectedly died. Haven’t beat myself up about that.

The pubs reopening have seen my drinking and weight increase. My drinking isn’t out if control but I definitely need to reign it in. Problem is, I fucking love it.
I hear you brother.......

I had a couple of beers whilst in Spain. Nothing dramatic, a few Amstels or Cruzcampo depending on whether I was in the hotel or at a restaurant. I can fairly safely say I'm done with spirits - I've told the story a few times on here about how I did in an almost full bottle of Scotch one night soon after COVID started and woke up in a puddle of my own piss. I got a few bottles of spirits at Christmas and aside from a few nips on the night of the CL final, they remain in my cupboard. I'm personally happy with this as at one point I could do a full bottle in 2 nights with minimal consequence the days after.

The Mrs has said a few times that my relationship with alcohol is vastly improved from where I was 2-3 years ago. The difference between myself and some of the posts I've seen in here is that I am not a particularly happy drunk. I go off into my own world with headphones on. And then wake up feeling awful even though I was in the house and did fuck all.

never an alcoholic but used to get into silly things when having a beer etc.

or went out with a bang on my once a month nights out.

26 months no booze for me. Loving it.

I have the 0% stuff when i go out just for a taste but its great knowing I am saving money and feeling mentally and physically healthier.

Said this before but I Am Sober app did alot to help.

I have tried plenty of alcohol free beers in the past and all tasted weird; very unlike the products they were the alternative to.

But yesterday I drank Draught Guiness 0.0% and it was excellent. It was also reasonably priced at £4 for a pack of four cans in Tesco.

I have tried plenty of alcohol free beers in the past and all tasted weird; very unlike the products they were the alternative to.

But yesterday I drank Draught Guiness 0.0% and it was excellent. It was also reasonably priced at £4 for a pack of four cans in Tesco.
Wow never knew this was a thing

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.