Alcohol, hints, tips, advice etc.

The problem with alcohol is that it is so accessible. If you get involved in drugs then you have to find a dealer. If you want to drink then you can just go to the local shop/supermarket and buy as much of it as you like. Nobody ever limits what you drink. You could walk out with a trolley full and no one would question you.

Both my parents indirectly died from alcohol addiction. No one would know as it is not down as a cause of death on their death certificates but for me it was their primary cause of death.

It is a hard habit to break though. I like a drink but try to limit it to a reasonable amount. Still more than 14 units a week though!

Good luck to everyone !
It’s a legalised drug

I'm not an alcoholic, but I definitely was a binge drinker with a really poor relationship with booze.

Other than the amount of time you win back without it (seriously, you don't realise how much time you lose whilst pissed and on autopilot for days after), you realise things about yourself and your personality.

I've been out a fair few times sober this year, and realised some of my problem was a bit of social anxiety. I'm quite a chatty person but the need to almost have a prop in my hand like a pint or a cigarette. Quite a fast drinker so that can turn into a 20 or 30 drink night on the piss. Now I'll have 3 or 4 pints of diet coke and be ready for my bed. You do become the taxi service home for your mates though.

One thing I hated when drinking (I only drinked to excess, blackout drunk or none at all), was the feeling of dread the days after a session when you're piecing together what you've said and done around people you know. I got that same feeling of dread walking back to the car after a sober do last week. That must be years of binge drinking that's conditioned me to feel like that.

You maintain your authenticity and your dignity when you have control of your sobriety. That allows decent relationships to flourish and not so decent ones to die out. As I say, by no means am I an alcoholic but I did have a poor relationship with it. 12 months ago I was feeling like a kid opening their Christmas presents when I had a pint of Guinness in front of me, and trawling pubs after last orders for "one more beer mate, come on". Quite proud of the progress I've made and feel quite confident saying I'll never have a drink again in my life.

Drinking is such a massive part of our culture in the UK it's insane. Which is one of the reasons it's so hard to give up.

I was a binge drinker myself, I don't miss that anxiety of feeling like I've acted a twat or done something wrong.

I'm confident I can get till June without drinking but then I go Cyprus for 2 weeks and at night time that will be a tough test.

I'm not an alcoholic, but I definitely was a binge drinker with a really poor relationship with booze.

Other than the amount of time you win back without it (seriously, you don't realise how much time you lose whilst pissed and on autopilot for days after), you realise things about yourself and your personality.

I've been out a fair few times sober this year, and realised some of my problem was a bit of social anxiety. I'm quite a chatty person but the need to almost have a prop in my hand like a pint or a cigarette. Quite a fast drinker so that can turn into a 20 or 30 drink night on the piss. Now I'll have 3 or 4 pints of diet coke and be ready for my bed. You do become the taxi service home for your mates though.

One thing I hated when drinking (I only drinked to excess, blackout drunk or none at all), was the feeling of dread the days after a session when you're piecing together what you've said and done around people you know. I got that same feeling of dread walking back to the car after a sober do last week. That must be years of binge drinking that's conditioned me to feel like that.

You maintain your authenticity and your dignity when you have control of your sobriety. That allows decent relationships to flourish and not so decent ones to die out. As I say, by no means am I an alcoholic but I did have a poor relationship with it. 12 months ago I was feeling like a kid opening their Christmas presents when I had a pint of Guinness in front of me, and trawling pubs after last orders for "one more beer mate, come on". Quite proud of the progress I've made and feel quite confident saying I'll never have a drink again in my life.
Yet another post that shows us all what we're up against and how good it feels when we try. The positives are outweighing the negatives here, and it's a great comfort to read.

Fantastic attitude mate. I really hope you keep it. Be strong because it is well worth it.

Drinking is such a massive part of our culture in the UK it's insane. Which is one of the reasons it's so hard to give up.

I was a binge drinker myself, I don't miss that anxiety of feeling like I've acted a twat or done something wrong.

I'm confident I can get till June without drinking but then I go Cyprus for 2 weeks and at night time that will be a tough test.

If you've put those positive habits in place over a sustained period, being on holiday doesn't change them. I've been all over the place since I knocked the drink on the head fully and haven't been tempted once. You enjoy the time on holiday more.

The only time I've craved it was a few times seeing a fresh pint of Guinness, and saw Corona on draught in Wetherspoons recently, which I've only ever had out the bottle, so was curious for a few seconds.

Lad at work gave me a champagne filled chocolate last week without realising I was teetotal. Turned my stomach biting into that, don't think I'd have eaten that even when I was a drinker.

Mindlessly supping on pints gets you nowhere. We are all chasing the same feeling of the first pint. 3 pints in is a great feeling when in good company. Then it becomes 20 pints, silly. Then silly becomes dangerous more often than not.

You have to ask the man in the mirror why you are drinking. Delve deep inside your mind and ask yourself "what can I change in my life that I have control over?" and "what is making me suppress my feelings and use a substance as a mask?" The answer never lies at the bottom of a pint glass, believe me.

Is it a bereavement, your hate for your current career, boredom? Only you have the answers. A few lads have approached me on nights out recently crying out for help. Firstly, I can give advice but you have to help yourself and secondly, having that conversation when intoxicated is a non-starter. If you can have a couple of beers in moderation then crack on. If one leads to 20, or a packet up the nose, brothel and going missing for days on end, you probably need a change before it's too late.

Drink has been the bane of my life.
It's been there ever since I can remember.
From that first sip of cider when I was a kid, I was somehow, unexplainably hooked.
I've spent all my life fighting it.
Some of us are built that way I guess.
I spent most of my life in pubs, watching pissheads throw their lives away. I thought I was somehow cleverer than them, and I'd never turn out to be that guy.
How wrong I was.
At times I was one phone call away from telling the truth, no I haven't got a cold boss, I was lying, I've drank a bottle of vodka and it's only dinner time, I've pissed the bed and nearly drowned in my own vomit, I'm off to the offy.
Luckily I have a skill that keeps me employed.
I've got away with it.
Won't last forever so here we are.
X

This described my relationship with drink. I had an illness over 10 years ago where I needed to watch what I ate & drank. Thoughts of how will I cope without a social drink changed to most of my problems are caused by me in drink.

Not had a drink for over 12 years & go out socially & drink the zero beers. My kids are also have a different relationship with drinking.

From that first sip of cider when I was a kid, I was somehow, unexplainably hooked.
I spent most of my life in pubs, watching pissheads throw their lives away. I thought I was somehow cleverer than them, and I'd never turn out to be that guy.
How wrong I was.
At times I was one phone call away from telling the truth, no I haven't got a cold boss, I was lying, I've drank a bottle of vodka and it's only dinner time, I've pissed the bed and nearly drowned in my own vomit, I'm off to the offy.
I've got away with it.
X

Sounds like you are on the path to turning it round. Best of luck mate.

Wow ma
How wrong I was.
I've got away with it.
X
Mindlessly supping on pints gets you nowhere. We are all chasing the same feeling of the first pint. 3 pints in is a great feeling when in good company. Then it becomes 20 pints, silly. Then silly becomes dangerous more often than not.

You have to ask the man in the mirror why you are drinking. Delve deep inside your mind and ask yourself "what can I change in my life that I have control over?" and "what is making me suppress my feelings and use a substance as a mask?" The answer never lies at the bottom of a pint glass, believe me.

Is it a bereavement, your hate for your current career, boredom? Only you have the answers. A few lads have approached me on nights out recently crying out for help. Firstly, I can give advice but you have to help yourself and secondly, having that conversation when intoxicated is a non-starter. If you can have a couple of beers in moderation then crack on. If one leads to 20, or a packet up the nose, brothel and going missing for days on end, you probably need a change before it's too late.
Wow mate

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.