Alcohol, hints, tips, advice etc.

I went about 4 years then had a Heineken Blue. Realised that beer actually tastes like shit and I only used to drink it to get pissed. Also made me fart for about 4 hours straight but that's a whole different story. Does its job though.

Well done to all the folk fighting a fight today. It can be a right **** of a day for many reasons, can be made a lot worse if you've got problems with the ale.

And if there's any posters lurking or struggling in this thread. Help is out there. It's really not as bad as you think accepting you have an issue with the stuff and putting changes in place. Opens up whole new avenues in life you never knew existed.

Now who's nicked that tin of Heroes?

I have found the alcohol free beers/spirits to be worthwhile. You don't drink them to excess but they do hit that itch when you need something fizzy or "grown up". I was incredibly wary for years about trying them and wanting the real thing, but have found 1 with a curry or after a day out somewhere just hits right and stops that wandering mind. If you feel like it's leading to something harder it's a good and safe lesson on expanding your boundaries.

Hope you all have managed well today, keep asking for help, get your support wherever you go and make sure you are in control

Yep, I didn't stop drinking due to alcoholism but for health reasons and I've found 0% drinks to be brilliant helps me stay social and enjoy a pint except you wake up in the morning fresh as fuck. The guiness is alright Tesco usually stock it. New hobby is finding alcohol free beers haha.

I've been getting away with it for a while. 8-12 cans of bitter every evening since Lockdown, but still running sub 30 minute 5k's whi!e keeping my heart rate under 135.

Done my knee this summer, not ran at all. Latest health check shows cholesterol is 6.5, blood pressure over 160. I'm slowly drinking myself to death. On medication for both, but after a few Christmas beers, I need to knock it on the head completely.

I play a lot of pool so spend a few evenings in pubs/ snooker halls and I've got used to having a Coke zero, Pepsi Max when out. It's the nights in where I feel bored and drink for the sake of it. The Mrs has a bottle of Cava every night then half a litre of Bacardi with coke every night for the last ten years

Last edited:
For the some problem drinkers like myself it’s best to avoid alcohol free/low alcohol drinks……I know I have to, don’t want to get the taste….
Well it's your choice, your way.
As someone else said there's no right or wrong way to do this.
AFB works for me along with lime and soda!
All the taste, no effects.

I've been getting away with it for a while. 8-12 cans of bitter every evening since Lockdown, but still running sub 30 minute 5k's whi!e keeping my heart rate under 135.

Done my knee this summer, not ran at all. Latest health check shows cholesterol is 6.5, blood pressure over 160. I'm slowly drinking myself to death. On medication for both, but after a few Christmas beers, I need to knock it on the head completely.

I play a lot of pool so spend a few evenings in pubs/ snooker halls and I've got used to having a Coke zero, Pepsi Max when out. It's the nights in where I feel bored and drink for the sake of it. The Mrs has a bottle of Cava every night then half a litre of Bacardi with coke every night for the last ten years
One of the problems of drinking a large amount of alcohol regularly is that a large amount can eventually become insufficient and you drink more. While you feel you can carry on, it isn't doing your insides, (or bank balance) any good at all. As many people here have said, help is out there, (and on here.)

Yep, I didn't stop drinking due to alcoholism but for health reasons and I've found 0% drinks to be brilliant helps me stay social and enjoy a pint except you wake up in the morning fresh as fuck. The guiness is alright Tesco usually stock it. New hobby is finding alcohol free beers haha.
Sounds like a good hobby.
There's quite a choice these days.
Happy hunting!

I used to work 4 night shifts on a four on four off basis, I would get home after a night shift at 0700 and have between four and six cans of Stella, convincing myself it was fine because it was technically my tea time. This soon increased t0 a couple of large Vodka and Cokes with the cans, (I was a heavy smoker and smoked weed at the time too), then to the point where I was drinking until gone dinner time then grabbing a couple of hours kip before going back on nights. How this never impacted the level of my work I will never know.

After my last night shift I would stay up drinking for hours and it would not be usual for me to in my local shop at 0930, buying more Vodka and Stella. The fact that I lived alone at the time didn't help as there was nobody to tell me to reign it in. Food was limited too get takeouts when on shift.

In 2009 I had a heart attack, in work, a the fact that I was only around 9 stone at the time was a massive shock to me. After three months on the sick and several meetings with the occupational health team , it was agreed that I would come of the four nights and moved to two days, two nights four off.

Too date I still do this shift pattern, don't smoke full stop, drink in moderation, eat and sleep a lot better and have never felt healthier.

I used to work 4 night shifts on a four on four off basis, I would get home after a night shift at 0700 and have between four and six cans of Stella, convincing myself it was fine because it was technically my tea time. This soon increased t0 a couple of large Vodka and Cokes with the cans, (I was a heavy smoker and smoked weed at the time too), then to the point where I was drinking until gone dinner time then grabbing a couple of hours kip before going back on nights. How this never impacted the level of my work I will never know.

After my last night shift I would stay up drinking for hours and it would not be usual for me to in my local shop at 0930, buying more Vodka and Stella. The fact that I lived alone at the time didn't help as there was nobody to tell me to reign it in. Food was limited too get takeouts when on shift.

In 2009 I had a heart attack, in work, a the fact that I was only around 9 stone at the time was a massive shock to me. After three months on the sick and several meetings with the occupational health team , it was agreed that I would come of the four nights and moved to two days, two nights four off.

Too date I still do this shift pattern, don't smoke full stop, drink in moderation, eat and sleep a lot better and have never felt healthier.
Glad to hear it mate. Shiftwork is bad enough for your body and mind without damaging them further.

Keep fighting the fight, lads. And keep talking about it. This shit is not a taboo subject, so many people suffering from this bastard of an illness to different degrees. We need to normalise talking about it in this country, the drinking culture is bred into us in UK.

I will be 12 months sober on December 29th. I had been taking silly risks for a while like getting in the car pissed and lying to those close to me about how much I'd had to drink. Had 15 pints of Guinness at Tottenham away last year and convinced myself I was sober enough to drive home from the station when I got the train home. That's not the man I am, I was lying to myself and becoming somebody I couldn't be proud of.

I could go months without it previously, but was a binge drinker. Made the decision in a hotel room on holiday last Christmas, after a bad bender when I'd acted an arse all evening and had about 12 pints before dinner. Next day of the holiday rolling round in bed hungover.

Excessive alcohol turned me into a thieving, lying prick and put good friendships and relationships at risk. I had been helping a friend with addiction issues, I couldn't be a hypocrite by giving advice and be doing the same shit myself. Despite some professional help and guidance from me, his addictions unfortunately led to a series of poor decisions and he's now serving a custodial sentence. This has given me the kick up the arse I needed to stay on track. Think of him every day, top lad who'd do anything for anyone, and very 'normal'.

You are one decision away from gaining back control of your lives, lads. Teetotal ain't for everyone, but day by day, you can do it.

Keep fighting the fight, lads. And keep talking about it. This shit is not a taboo subject, so many people suffering from this bastard of an illness to different degrees. We need to normalise talking about it in this country, the drinking culture is bred into us in UK.

I will be 12 months sober on December 29th. I had been taking silly risks for a while like getting in the car pissed and lying to those close to me about how much I'd had to drink. Had 15 pints of Guinness at Tottenham away last year and convinced myself I was sober enough to drive home from the station when I got the train home. That's not the man I am, I was lying to myself and becoming somebody I couldn't be proud of.

I could go months without it previously, but was a binge drinker. Made the decision in a hotel room on holiday last Christmas, after a bad bender when I'd acted an arse all evening and had about 12 pints before dinner. Next day of the holiday rolling round in bed hungover.

Excessive alcohol turned me into a thieving, lying prick and put good friendships and relationships at risk. I had been helping a friend with addiction issues, I couldn't be a hypocrite by giving advice and be doing the same shit myself. Despite some professional help and guidance from me, his addictions unfortunately led to a series of poor decisions and he's now serving a custodial sentence. This has given me the kick up the arse I needed to stay on track. Think of him every day, top lad who'd do anything for anyone, and very 'normal'.

You are one decision away from gaining back control of your lives, lads. Teetotal ain't for everyone, but day by day, you can do it.
Great post. No words really mate, other than your honesty will help many on here, including myself.
Thank you.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.