Aldi or posher supermarkets

I shop at Waitrose as I work there plus

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/feb/09/aldi-100-percent-horsemeat-beef-products" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... f-products</a>

it don't get any better

johnmc said:
The thing I find is that people buy stuff from Aldi that people normally wouldnt buy because its cheap and of ok quality so they keep getting them and rave about how cheap aldi is.

Bratwurst being an example. I reckon hardly anyone who goes anywhere but Aldi gets Bratwurst but I reckon most Aldi shoppers do and then say "£4 each for these at the christmas markets and I got 8 for 79 pence".

Not sure i agree really. We do 80% of our shopping at Aldi now and for things like fruit and veg, milk, bread and eggs - your day to things. I find it way cheaper than Morrisons or Asda and the quality is just as good. We normally do a once a month Morrisons shop for specific branded stuff we like.

I have noticed that Morrisons has become much more competitive over the last few months though, but still nowhere near as cheap as Aldi.

de niro said:
Damocles said:
Farmfoods, Tesco and then local butchers/greengrocers/corner shop for me.

Two of us here and we do about £120 to £150 a month in food shopping, and I'd like to think we eat pretty well

ha ha fotgot about farm foods. quality in there. only get bits but yeh good shout.

I only do shopping once a month and get all my bread/milk/potatoes/rice/pasta/butter/cereals from Tesco in bulk, use the local shops for cupboard stuff, fruit and veg then Farmfoods for any "quick" meals that we want or stuff that we can bang in the freezer for a rainy day. There's also the local Meat Mart which is a meat wholesaler ran by Gabbotts Farm and they do some cracking deals. You can get 5kg of chicken breast there for about £20 or so, 10 proper pork chops for a fiver that type of thing. A lad at the gym turned me onto it as they a "bodybuilders special" where you get a shitload of extra lean mince and chicken and eggs and chops for about £25.

The real money saver on this sort of stuff though isn't where you shop, it's buying a big chest freezer and using it properly. I cannot believe how much money and messing about we saved just because we bought a huge freezer. If we fill the freezer we can go up to two months without going shopping no problem

As I say, if you combine the chest freezer with a proper meat wholesaler then its ridiculous how low you can get food bills.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.