Alex Sandro

Alex Sandro and Kyle Walker would improve us significantly in our weakest area. Don't care if it's £85m or more. What's the point in being rich if we don't use it?

We should only get young players so that they hit their prime when the manager after the manager after Pep can get the most out of them.

Dani Alves was 25 when Pep bought him, and spent 4 ridiculously successful years with Pep and 4 years post-Pep winning 3 league titles, 2 Copa del Rey's and a Champions League before leaving prematurely because he didn't get on with the board.

Obviously Alves aged incredibly well and we might not get the same mileage out of anyone, but at the same time, we want young kids in the team who grow up winning things under Pep and continue it when he's gone...but that means winning things at some point, and for that what you need most is world class and experienced players around those kids.

Seriously though what's the difference in paying 50 for someone VVD or how much we paid for Stones? They are still defenders and the way we play if Sandro can break up counters and stop crosses from coming and help us in the way Pep wants to play I don't see why not.
Wasn't a fan of the cost of Stones or the supposed prices for VDV, Laporte, or Bonucci either. But o well....

Urgh I remember shouting myself hoarse on this forum saying we should go for him at Porto. But most people were in love with Kolarov

Wasn't a fan of the cost of Stones or the supposed prices for VDV, Laporte, or Bonucci either. But o well....

Dax I can't believe you actually think £35m should be the upper limit for a fullback....just look at the role they play in Pep's teams. They're integral to pretty much every phase of play. Breaking down defences on the overlap and allowing the wingers to head inside to get goals, stepping into midfield to create dominance there, stopping counterattacks...I don't see any reason they aren't worth the fee of a winger or attacking midfielder.

If Sanchez is worth £50m (with a year on his contract) then a world class fullback definitely is - particularly on the left as there's even fewer great LB's around.

Urgh I remember shouting myself hoarse on this forum saying we should go for him at Porto. But most people were in love with Kolarov

People were definitely not in love with Kolarov when we were linked to him in 2015.

Dax I can't believe you actually think £35m should be the upper limit for a fullback....just look at the role they play in Pep's teams. They're integral to pretty much every phase of play. Breaking down defences on the overlap and allowing the wingers to head inside to get goals, stepping into midfield to create dominance there, stopping counterattacks...I don't see any reason they aren't worth the fee of a winger or attacking midfielder.

If Sanchez is worth £50m (with a year on his contract) then a world class fullback definitely is - particularly on the left as there's even fewer great LB's around.

Totally agree with this. The numbers thrown around now is silly I understand that, but world class LB's are rare. If we can get one of the best, then we should. I think all top players (besides strikers who are even higher) for any position would be around this price nowadays. We love De Bruyne and now looks like a bargain, but paid top dollar for him. I don't see why we shouldn't pay over £35m because he's a fullback.

We did go for him by some accounts.

He was due to be out of contract and City went to sign him but I think we told him he had to wait so we could get him on a Bosman. In the end Juve came in with a decent fee and ended up signing him,

Why we didn't just pay the fee I didn't know.

Sanchez isn't worth 50 million either. But that's a different story.

There is a legitimate argument for Sandro being worth a lot. I just think we need to do better finding great players outside of paying other top teams ridiculous amounts to take their player.

Also I'm generally very suspicious of any individual player from Juve. Those guys all work had defensively from the main striker all the way down. Juve and Athletico make defenders look better than they really are, because everyone on those teams work extremely hard. Would any of Theo, Grimaldo, Bernat or Jonas cost half the price? Coz if so, perhaps its a dreal to go for them.

Sanchez isn't worth 50 million either. But that's a different story.

I just think we need to do better finding great players outside of paying other top teams ridiculous amounts to take their player.

Why? No one at Barcelona is upset because they didn't scout Suarez from Ajax, Madrid fans don't care that Ramos was bought for a huge fee from Sevilla, or that DDG will cost them huge money, Juventus didn't bother trying to find another player who's almost as good as Higuain but not as expensive.

Sometimes big clubs just identify the player they want and write the cheque to get it done. Right this minute, Marcelo is probably the only better LB in the world than Sandro, and there's not much in it.

It's almost impossible for us to get cheap players. Directors of Football have literally said publicly that they just whack 15m on if we're the club interested, and if you have to pay bloated fees on the gamble that is a young promising player, you might as well just pay 15m more and try to go for the already world class.

That's been the case for a while and is one of the reasons why we've seen the club go for very young players like Unal, Roberts, Moreno etc. Get them 2 or 3 years earlier than when we would want them.

No one wins awards for net spend at the end of the season, I've spoken before about not liking overpaying because of the incredible pressure it creates for a player, but if Pep identifies someone as a must have, you just dump a bag of money on Marotta's desk and say thank you very much.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.