Even the historical darling of the right , thatcher, knew the importance of the SM and how it was essential for economic growth.
If I remember rightly she was instrumental in its design.
Then the ludicrous gammon brexiters vote in a woman who wants to look and sound like her (and their) heroine, but actually has a polar opposite view on their favourite subject - Europe.
You really can fool some of the people all of the time.
This could be proved if they really are dumb enough to re-install the lying fraud depfeffel.

Thatcher also spent years preparing for her big taxcut budget rather than just chucking it out without any published assessment.
Truss, not so much.

As an aside that 4% figure winds me up. Your uneducated man in the street things that 4% is a small, even insignificant amount whereas the truth is that it’s the difference between a booming economy and a recession. Truss was targeting 2% growth as some sort of triumph to be focussed on and targeted.

I tend to view that a significant majority of GDP is set - 60% or 70% probably. It can't drop below that as there is always going to be a base level.

The policies and world conditions affect only what is left, so 4% is 4/40 or 4/30 - in reality 10% or 12% of the variable zone.
Assume it can't be above 90% in most conditions and the 4% is of an overall block, not of the bit that actually can vary.

It's a bit like the increase of NI being 1% of salary (or whatever). It's actually about a 10% rise in NI per se, not the 1% rise in NI that it can sound like.

Don't shoot the messenger, and I won't reveal my source, but a mate that's told me things in the past has just text me saying Boris has hired a white horse and a smoke machine for late next week

QT was from Cheltenham last night and the anger from the vast majority of the audience was palpable in a way that you just don't normally see on that programme. The 'bring back Johnson' view was limited to a handful of gilet wearing wums. The overwhelming desire was for a GE.

Whoever wins the contest would never go to the country because they would know they will be wiped out in a way that makes '97 look like a close run thing.

So the issue is it looks like a tiny proportion of the population who aren't even remotely representative of the country will once again get to choose our PM and whatever they choose to do the people will be expected to suck it up. The argument that they have a mandate because of the last election doesn't wash because we've seen they have no intention or desire to honour parliamentary norms let alone things like manifesto commitments and have shown themselves to be highly susceptible to manipulation by the extremist wing of their party.

If it's someone like Sunak with sufficient backing from the less lunatic elements of the party then it'll be about steadying the ship and finding a way to dilute the anger and limit their losses in two years time. But if it's Johnson all bets are off because I think there's pretty much nothing he won't do to attempt to retain power. At that point we do, as GDM said, risk serious civil disorder.

So the choice is being impoverished by arguably the least incompetent of them or goodness knows what under Johnson.

The only way out of this that doesn't end in a really ugly fashion is if 40, or whatever is the number, Conservative MPs find their moral compass and do the right thing by joining the opposition in a no confidence vote. Sadly that seems like a long shot based on past behaviour (maybe more likely if it's Johnson or another ERGer that they choose) but it's our best hope of avoiding turning the country from a metaphorical dumpster fire into one that is literally burning.

Scary times ahead unless we can find 15% or so of Conservative MPs to put country before party/self.
Threespires
scary indeed. For most Tory‘s who will vote there will be zero consideration of the country. It’s all about self preservation and the chance to ride the ego busting gravy train for as long as possible. Many will see Bozo as their best chance to take a cabinet place or keep their seat.
Under the MPs there are far too many gammons who have been featured on the news or radio in the last 24 hours who would welcome him back because he has a personality and basically is a laugh and he ‘got Brexit done and faught the pandemic.’
The fact he lied, cheated, robbed etc is just forgotten. I don’t understand how people can be so stupid.
What a country.

Threespires
scary indeed. For most Tory‘s who will vote there will be zero consideration of the country. It’s all about self preservation and the chance to ride the ego busting gravy train for as long as possible. Many will see Bozo as their best chance to take a cabinet place or keep their seat.
Under the MPs there are far too many gammons who have been featured on the news or radio in the last 24 hours who would welcome him back because he has a personality and basically is a laugh and he ‘got Brexit done and faught the pandemic.’
The fact he lied, cheated, robbed etc is just forgotten. I don’t understand how people can be so stupid.
What a country.

He could be found guilty of misleading parliament and therefore lose his seat. It would be just another fine example of the Tory party conduct if they vote him in again, he claims he's learnt from his mistakes and deserves a second chance, and then is found guilty of breaching the ministerial code so removed as PM and as an MP. I can't see how he'll be found as anything but guilty - the opposition asked him repeatedly to answer allegations and he continually lied.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.