Alexis Sanchez

Status
Not open for further replies.
-------Sanchez-----Aguero-----Jesus
----------------Silva-------Gundogan/KDB
----------------------Weigl

Bernardo wasn't needed imo.

I said earlier you rotate 5 players then they play 22 league games each. And the likelihood is that Guardiola will play his strongest team more often, especially in the big games, meaning that a couple of players will get marginalised. You chose Real Madrid because they are the only team who operate similarly but then they dominate Spanish football, and they are more or less a permanent fixture in the last 4 of the Champions league if not the final.

This is cloud cuckoo land. I can accept that we are looking at Sanchez, but be honest enough to admit that if we do get into a position to sign him, it will mean a player leaving.

The question you have to ask though, regardless of rotation and game time, is would Sanchez make us a better team?

And the answer is of course he would. He is absolutely world class, and with world class talents like that you MAKE room.

It's similar to the argument about Van Persie all those years ago when he left Arsenal. Mancini was desperate for him despite the fact he already had 4 top quality strikers. Why? Because he would improve us. Hell, he won the rags the league single handedly.

Quite frankly, I see Sanchez's impact as the same. Could we live without him? Yes. But buying him takes us up another level.

If someone offered us Messi, would we say no based on the fact we don't need him? Would we say no because we want to bring Patrick Roberts through? No way.

Yes, the difference between Sanchez and Messi is huge. Messi isn't even world class, he is out of this world. Sanchez however is in the bracket below. He contributed to more goals in the league last year than anyone else and any team could do with that.

In response to someone needing to leave, I don't think so. In wide positions, last year we pretty much played Sane and Sterling from January onwards in pretty much every game. Brought in with Bernardo Silva and we then have 4 players for the two wide positions. Sane and Sterling are young, and at times will need to come out of the team.

I'm not saying it would keep everyone happy, but when someone like Sanchez says he is available, you make space.

If that player would be Nolito (and it seems that way), I doubt many will have problems with that. If that player was to be Sancho because bringing in someone like Sanchez would limited his chances for the next 2-3-4 years, I suspect you will hear more groans.
The 5 I was thinking about are Aguero, Sanchez, Sane, Sterling and Jesus. I am assuming Nolito will go.

Someone like Sanchez isn't going to be happy sitting on the bench, so I would expect Sane, Sterling, Jesus or KDB (not to mention Gundogan when he's fit) to be rotated out just to fit him in the Team on a regular basis, because I'm fairly certain Aguero won't want to be warming the bench either.

Signing Sanchez brings more problems than it solves unless we ship someone out. Sure, He's an upgrade on Sterling but he's not home grown which is another headache, as Sane, Jesus and KDB certainly won't be going anywhere soon.

The question you have to ask though, regardless of rotation and game time, is would Sanchez make us a better team?

And the answer is of course he would. He is absolutely world class, and with world class talents like that you MAKE room.

It's similar to the argument about Van Persie all those years ago when he left Arsenal. Mancini was desperate for him despite the fact he already had 4 top quality strikers. Why? Because he would improve us. Hell, he won the rags the league single handedly.

Quite frankly, I see Sanchez's impact as the same. Could we live without him? Yes. But buying him takes us up another level.

If someone offered us Messi, would we say no based on the fact we don't need him? Would we say no because we want to bring Patrick Roberts through? No way.

Yes, the difference between Sanchez and Messi is huge. Messi isn't even world class, he is out of this world. Sanchez however is in the bracket below. He contributed to more goals in the league last year than anyone else and any team could do with that.

In response to someone needing to leave, I don't think so. In wide positions, last year we pretty much played Sane and Sterling from January onwards in pretty much every game. Brought in with Bernardo Silva and we then have 4 players for the two wide positions. Sane and Sterling are young, and at times will need to come out of the team.

I'm not saying it would keep everyone happy, but when someone like Sanchez says he is available, you make space.
You accept you make space. There are some fans who seem to think we can keep the current 4 first team forwards and Sanchez on top of that.

Sane and Sterling are young and have a lot of potential, but Sanchez is proven and World class and unlike them he can score 20+ goals a season. City need all the world class players they can get in order to compete with the best. Trophies shouldn't be sacrificed to develop young players.

That's why we bought Silva, Sane and Jesus. If Aguero stays, then I don't see how playing Sanchez instead of Jesus or Sane is an improvement. if he was a bit younger, I might be more excited about the prospect but for me we already have enough attacking ability at the club - we didn't at the start of last season but that has changed.

we had Sane and Jesus last season... Bernardo has replaced Navas, not like for like as i think we'll see him centrally but in terms of numbers he has and Sanchez would replace Nolito and Kelechi actually leaving us lighter in numbers but significantly better in quality. Last season we had Aguero,Kelechi,Sane,Sterling,Nolito,Navas and then Jesus in January, that's 6/7 for 3 positions, if all goes to plan this window we'll have Aguero,Sanchez,Jesus,Sane and Sterling next season, that's 5 for the same 3 positions (again, i'm convinced Bernardo will predominantly play centrally) that's easily manageable.

As i said previously, our bench at times last season was horrifically short of attacking options, now it won't be. Deadwood squad members will not litter the bench, instead we'll have proven match winners ready to come on and win us the game and show Pep they should start the next one. We also always seem to forget that not everybody will be available all the time, there will be plenty of injuries and suspensions.

Keep seeing "such a player won't accept sitting on the bench" they won't see it like that and Pep will make it abundantly clear to all that he's operating by a rotation policy. Nobody will be spending weeks on end on the bench seeing no action like people make out, they'll miss out certain games but if we're playing 3 games a week you can almost guarantee if they're in good form and fit they'll be playing some part that week. If they're not happy with it, they won't come in the first place or they'll ask to leave if they're already here. Aguero appears to get it seeing as he, pep and Khaldoon have all said he's staying.

Last edited:
I could quite happily go into the new season with our quota of forwards/attacking players but if Sanchez came available you have to go for him.

He is genuinely world class. Not just his finishing, assists, workrate but also his passing as well. That is also without mentioning the fact he is a leader out on the pitch and scores huge goals in the biggest of games.

Players like Sterling are miles below his level so if the opportunity came you have to take it. To miss out and him sign for a direct rival would make next year more difficult.

-------Sanchez-----Aguero-----Jesus
----------------Silva-------Gundogan/KDB
----------------------Weigl

Bernardo wasn't needed imo.
I'd be a bit worried at the amount of defending the two 8s would have to do to cover for Weigl's broken leg mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.