Alexis Sanchez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello and Happy New Year to you and like-minded blues.

I was responding to a series of comments that claimed a move for Sanchez was imminent given the Jesus injury news. I agree with your point that a move for a player should not be made on short term injury concerns but on their long term value to the squad.

What's changed since we last discussed this?
  • It's become evident from Guardiola's press conferences that we're not in for him - very significant yet many seem to be ignoring this.
  • The injury to Jesus - best guess of return: mid-Feb.
  • City now have a 12 point lead with a game in hand. If we maintain this form, we will be the outstanding side in the Premier League and possibly Europe, able to buy who we need.
  • Sanchez's form has improved a little. He had a good game at Palace. However, we've now seen him for a period of 5 months now, and it's evident to me that my suggestion that his game was deteriorating have been borne out. At 29 he's lost the basic speed which was a big part of his game rendering him less effective. The end product is 7 goals, and 3 assists. A very significant dip consistent with predictions. I don't accept the excuse that he's unsettled because he was unsettled the previous season as well, and we can also see that his work-rate is undiminished.
This topic is informed by a backward-looking attitude which informs fans view of the player. That's OK when a player is in his prime, but when you have a player whose game is so much based around his physicality, and he's approaching his 30s then it gives a false impression. A direct comparison is Yaya Toure - when he lost his sprint speed he faded inside 6 months. We should have seen that after cake-gate but instead we held on to him.

Last Summer we were very close to signing Mbappe. In previous Summers we've looked at Kaka, the young Sanchez, Kaka etc. This should be the first Summer when we should truly be confident of signing our main targets. Alexis 3-4 years ago would have been a huge capture for City. That's no longer the case. We can do better. One negative is Real Madrid as it looks like Ronaldo will move in the Summer and they will be in the market for a forward too. They can not buy everyone though.

I'm not anticipating discussing this topic because frankly you're one of the few posters who is capable of holding a discussion without trading insults and the topic is reaching a natural end.
Ha, good to have you back Marv.

Loving your first bullet point, classic.

If Sanchez can sign a pre-contract with a foreign club , CFG should buy him for New York City and loan him back to us , imagine the furore that would cause it would cause a melt down that has never been seen before , bring it on.
I am not a sports lawyer but I imagine the fact that the parties are in the same group would invalidate such an agreement as not being proper third party/arms length

This’ll get done in January.

Way too much to risk...Jesus out, Sane on a downswing, money is there (more than usual lol) and Sanchez agent ringing city. Story is there.
You are forgetting to omit the only bit that counts - Arse will sell and, todate we don't know if they will irrespective of how many think we simply lay £ on the table and he is ours

If Sanchez can sign a pre-contract with a foreign club , CFG should buy him for New York City and loan him back to us , imagine the furore that would cause it would cause a melt down that has never been seen before , bring it on.
How does hat help, NYFc can sign a pre contract for him to move in the summer , when we can sign him for free anyway. If New York can buy him now , so can we.

Hello and Happy New Year to you and like-minded blues.

I was responding to a series of comments that claimed a move for Sanchez was imminent given the Jesus injury news. I agree with your point that a move for a player should not be made on short term injury concerns but on their long term value to the squad.

What's changed since we last discussed this?
  • It's become evident from Guardiola's press conferences that we're not in for him - very significant yet many seem to be ignoring this.
  • The injury to Jesus - best guess of return: mid-Feb.
  • City now have a 12 point lead with a game in hand. If we maintain this form, we will be the outstanding side in the Premier League and possibly Europe, able to buy who we need.
  • Sanchez's form has improved a little. He had a good game at Palace. However, we've now seen him for a period of 5 months now, and it's evident to me that my suggestion that his game was deteriorating have been borne out. At 29 he's lost the basic speed which was a big part of his game rendering him less effective. The end product is 7 goals, and 3 assists. A very significant dip consistent with predictions. I don't accept the excuse that his game has been massively affected by being unsettled as he was unsettled the previous season as well, and we can also see that his work-rate is undiminished.
This topic is informed by a backward-looking attitude which informs fans view of the player. That's OK when a player is in his prime, but when you have a player whose game is so much based around his physicality, and he's approaching his 30s then it gives a false impression. A direct comparison is Yaya Toure - when he lost his sprint speed he faded inside 6 months. We should have seen that after cake-gate but instead we held on to him.

Last Summer we were very close to signing Mbappe. In previous Summers we've looked at Kaka, the young Sanchez, Kaka etc. This should be the first Summer when we should truly be confident of signing our main targets. Alexis 3-4 years ago would have been a huge capture for City. That's no longer the case. We can do better. One negative is Real Madrid as it looks like Ronaldo will move in the Summer and they will be in the market for a forward too. They can not buy everyone though.

I'm not anticipating discussing this topic because frankly you're one of the few posters who is capable of holding a discussion without trading insults and the topic is reaching a natural end.
Classic Marvin indeed.

Pure WUMmery.

When Sané has his best day, Sanchez would not necessarily be a better option. But that doesn't happen that often, and it has been quite a while ago since we saw that sublime form from Sané.

Sanchez's bad days are still very very good, and on his best days he is a world class player. He has the quantities we need in order to break down parked buses, and has got a phenomenal tank which allows him to work hard and press high for 90+ minutes.

I think he would be a boost to the spirit as opposed to "break up he harmony" so often written on here. Every single player in our squad wants the team to win games, to win trophies, and with Sanchez in our side that is more likely to happen.

Sanchez can also play in an advanced center midfield role, something Sané nor Sterling is suited for and knowing Pep from before he will not require a long period of settling-in- time.

So I say, get him in, the sooner the better. And I also think he will raise a few eyebrows from the first game he has for us, particularity from Arsenal fans, who will see a very different Sanchez from the one that they know. Pundits will have a lot to say about it, would they choose to do so.

Because you know what I think? I think he has been waiting for us ever since last summer, he has been protecting himself and his future, while being forced to stay with Arsenal. He will with us be free, to be where he wants to be, to play for the manager he wants to play for. And I think that'll be awesome.
And tomorrow children we'll have another story from Daddy's big red book of fairy tales

:)

I believe the reason Pep has said nowt or got Sanchez to push for a move is he does not want to fall out with any club. I am still of the view as I was in the summer that Sanchez WILL join us either now, for a fee (which will have increased because of the injury to Jesus) or, for "free" in the summer. (There will be a huge signing on fee so technically not free)

Looking at this from an Arsenal prospective and taking the "losing face" scenario away from it. Arsenal wouldn't actually be selling Sanchez as he is free in summer, they would be accepting a fee in assisting in the move. In other words he's going for sure, let's get what we can and draw a line under it. If he were to stay till summer it could increase the rift in the dressing room, and hinder the planned rebuild of their squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.