Alexis Sanchez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Football goes through cycles. Arsenal are genuine old guard. I'm slowly but surely reading Gary James' book and it seems like back in the 1930's City and Arsenal were vying to be England's best team, with City possibly the biggest team around and The Rags pretty much nowhere until we let them rent Maine Road. How old does the guard have to be?

City really do have a history of cocking things up. Gary's book is full of examples from before my time but one thing that has always stuck in my mind from my days supporting City is my belief in the late 70's that we were in a position to form a big three with The Rags and the Scousers until Swales and Big Mal royally fucked that up.

Our new owner is still presiding over underachievement but, overall, this does seem like a new beast and the next few weeks will hopefully be part of a growing testament to that: it's about time the real old guard cemented its place.
Absolutely spot on. Arsenal were the more successful in the 30 but City & Arsenal the prominent 2 clubs and, in terms of rivalry, were perceived a bit like MUFC v LFC. City-Arsenal games were often more attractive/better attended than derby games. 1932 AFC beat City with a late, late controversial goal in the FAC semi which established the rivalry, then City started to find trophy success (as did Arsenal). In 1935 the two sides established the League record crowd at Maine Road and then in 1936-37 there were the clashes for t title (which City won). But it was more than simply crowds and attendances.

Your analysis is anything but 'reality' . You want Sanchez to sign for you and so persuade yourself it's going to happen based upon assertion and rumour.

What examples are there of Arsenal resisting transfer approaches for their top players? I can't think of any since the annual ritual of Real Madrid courting Viera.

Since then I can think of Cole, RVP, Fabregas, Adebayor, Nasri, Clichy, Sagna who've left to join direct rivals in the PL.

For the record, I think Sanchez is using City to drive up the value of the contract offer from Arsenal. We've seen people do this before, notably John Terry.

Up until this moment imho the problem is between Arsenal and Sanchez. We don't need him as much as Arsenal does, they look at a contract that has one year left, the player wants to leave or is using his position to try and get a top salary. He might end up needing to sit out another year without a payrise and walking out of there on a free.
If Arsenal decide to sell and we can get him, great. If not, I'm not too concerned tbh. Great player but easier to get players in a similar position than for instance a decent wingback. And we need 4 of those apparently, so Id say that is our problem. Not Sanchez. Or Arsenal.

'Wumming' is very much in the eye of the beholder. All too often on here, it means having the temerity not to buy into the forum groupthink regardless how deluded it might seem to the non City fan, like me. And yes, I do think we will win the Title next season.
60c17d5fa378f4d424898559966dc49f.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.