All Star Premier League Game

It sounded more like a throwaway idea than anything serious. No idea why English media have picked it up and focused on it the way they have. He was just spitballing nonsense ideas at business event.

Agreed. He is making himself a bit of a target, though, with the value and nature of his summer purchases, his sacking of Tuchel and now this. I don't mind American owners getting a bit of stick for once, if I am being honest.

A little humility would maybe have led to a different answer. To each of those issues btw. Nothing wrong with some generic answers and saying you are learning quickly the nature of the game, rather than saying something which he should already know would generate negative comment.

You missed out the part about it being a monumentally shit idea though.

You think its a shit idea.

You're probably the kind of person who was happy Chelsea got banned from the 1958 European Cup because international football happened between contries not clubs, or thought having tactical substitutions was the end of the sport. If not, there were plenty of people who did think it was a shit idea.

The sad reality is that football fans think everything is a shit idea, and then just forget they opposed all the ones that worked out. Go look at the thread for the Nations League being announced, it was the worst idea anyone had ever come up with, now most people much prefer it to meaningless friendlies and no one ever calls for it to be dropped.

Even if the even didn't work out, that doesn't make it a bad idea. And eve if it was a bad idea? so what? Plenty of ideas have come and gone, whether it's golden goal, silver goal, ABBA penalties, skipping extra time. No one knows if they'll work until they're tried and the worst thing that happens is they don't work and get dropped.

I've not heard a single valid criticism of the all-star idea. All I've heard is people attacking Todd Boehly for being a clueless yank. There's 3 non American criticisms.

"There's no time in the calendar!!!" - The FA just announced it's adding 2 more games by bringing back FA Cup replays. Messi and Neymar hos an annual Messi XI vs Neymar XI charity match with dozens of internationals. There's space, or space could be made.

"It's too dangerous!!!" - As far as I can see from a quick search no one has ever been seriously injured in 300 NFL, MLB, NHL or NBA All-Star games/Pro bowls. So it's probably not that likely football players will drop like flies.

"I don't want to watch it" - I probably wouldn't either, but I can accept I'm not the target audience for every single football match.

You think its a shit idea.

You're probably the kind of person who was happy Chelsea got banned from the 1958 European Cup because international football happened between contries not clubs, or thought having tactical substitutions was the end of the sport.

The sad reality is that football fans think everything is a shit idea, and then just forget they opposed all the ones that worked out. Go look at the thread for the Nations League being announced, it was the worst idea anyone had ever come up with, now most people much prefer it to meaningless friendlies and no one ever calls for it to be dropped.

Even if the even didn't work out, that doesn't make it a bad idea. And eve if it was a bad idea? so what? Plenty of ideas have come and gone, whether it's golden goal, silver goal, ABBA penalties, skipping extra time. No one knows if they'll work until they're tried and the worst thing that happens is they don't work and get dropped.

I've not heard a single valid criticism of the all-star idea. All I've heard is people attacking Todd Boehly for being a clueless yank. There's 3 non American criticisms.

"There's no time in the calendar!!!" - The FA just announced it's adding 2 more games by bringing back FA Cup replays.

"It's too dangerous!!!" - As far as I can see from a quick search no one has ever been seriously injured in 300 NFL, MLB, NHL or NBA All-Star games/Pro bowls. So it's probably not that likely football players will drop like flies.

"I don't want to watch it" - I probably wouldn't either, but I can accept I'm not the target audience for every single football match.
Check out the pound shop psychologist here!!

Have you read the thread about aggressiveness on Bluemoon.

For info, I have no comment on Chelsea in 1958.

I think the press have gone overboard with this as usual it was a throwaway comment. I wouldn't want it for all the reasons already posted but also because in order to make it all star it would fall on the usual teams I don't mean that to sound disrespectful to other teams but its predictable. If anything did come of this I would be more interested in seeing something where every northern team was represented with a limit of say 2 players and every player has to play reducing the playing time for the players. As I said though I wouldn't want it and I don't think there's a cat in hells chance of it happening.

It's a yes from me
giphy-2-8.gif

Todd Boehly: “Ultimately I hope the Premier League takes a little bit of a lesson from American sports. Why isn’t there an All-Star game? People are talking about more money for the pyramid, in the MLB All-Star game this year we made $200 million from a Monday and a Tuesday”

My problem is not even the idea, it is that part I've put in bold. Because it's always a one-way street. If you turned it round, and quoted a British owner saying “I hope the NFL or the NBA takes a little bit of a lesson from the English Premier League (or European football)” they would simply laugh at you. They do not consider that there are any lessons to be learnt.
Yes, it's a casual comment. It's the comments you make casually that are often the most revealing.
And no, I'm not knee-jerk anti-American. In my life, I've been to three completely different parts of the country (Boston, Georgia, California), generally had a fairly good time, and I've always had American friends. I even had an uncle in White Plains (New York State). But having travelled widely on every continent apart from Antarctica, I can think of no other country I've come across where a fair portion of the inhabitants seem to consider that their way of doing things is the right way for the world.

Check out the pound shop psychologist here!!

Have you read the thread about aggressiveness on Bluemoon.

For info, I have no comment on Chelsea in 1958.

Of course, you are right. North Vs South is a monumentally stupid idea and one that shouldn't even have been discussed. Finding ways to finance the rest of the pyramid though, is a real concern, so if that was his point, and an additional game of some importance and relevance is part of a solution, then fair play. But for the love of God, understand what you are talking about, and why North Vs South is nonsense, before opening your mouth.

Agreed. He is making himself a bit of a target, though, with the value and nature of his summer purchases, his sacking of Tuchel and now this. I don't mind American owners getting a bit of stick for once, if I am being honest.

A little humility would maybe have led to a different answer. To each of those issues btw. Nothing wrong with some generic answers and saying you are learning quickly the nature of the game, rather than saying something which he should already know would generate negative comment.

I honestly just think he was asked a question and he just thought of a couple of examples on the spot about how European football and American sports differ and offered that up as something to think about.

I hear you about how 'loud' his entrance into English football has been. That's definitely true.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.