All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

Van Halen was great not just because EVH was a spectacular guitarist technically but because he knew how to write hooks and melody and he was smart enough to have DLR take the front man lead, and DLR was hilarious. They were also a great cover band. VH disappeared instantly as an important musical force when Hagar joined (the dictionary definition of a corporate stooge rock star) and the sense of humo(u)r went out the window. There are sound bands and song bands; Pantera is the former and VH the latter.

Pantera -- at least this record -- IMO offered few hooks, little melody and absolutely no humo(u)r at all. Neither band has anything important to tell us. This is my issue with metal generally. It exists to support brainless unarticulated testosterone-based rage. That's something, but it's an awfully narrow existence, and pretty cynical, which is why I'm suspicious that it's a grift, not art -- closer to Brittney Spears than Rage Against The Machine.
Sometimes mate, I just want some brainless unarticulated testosterone-based rage. Give me something to nod my head to instead of humour in a song.

Well, define the genre. Let's start with that. Who's in and who's out?

Rolling Stone's Top Ten Ever:

10. Tool · 9. Pantera · 8. Led Zeppelin · 7. Judas Priest · 6. Megadeth · 5. Slayer · 4. Iron Maiden · 3. Black Sabbath · 2. Dream Theater · 1. Metallica.

LZ isn't really metal IMO, and I am not familiar with Dream Theater. JP maybe had a sense of humo(u)r. Maybe. Ozzy's solo stuff maybe too; not Sabbath.

Listen I'd say the same about most prog too, but I'd describe prog as pretentious, and metal as cynical. And prog at its worst is fatuous and lugubrious, which are easier negative reactions to deal with than those one gets from metal which for some is simply physical pain at how it grates sonically (or, for me, boredom).

That said, I listened to plenty of prog, and I still love Rush, but I know what it is and I don't find find it nearly as compelling as a) I used to and b) many other genres.
The point I was trying to make is - which is highlighted to a degree in that top 10 - is that 'metal' is such a broad topic to flatly state it's cynical and humourless, or inconsequential, is a little disingenuous when some of the sub-genres are so vastly different they're effectively different genres entirely.

The point I was trying to make is - which is highlighted to a degree in that top 10 - is that 'metal' is such a broad topic to flatly state it's cynical and humourless, or inconsequential, is a little disingenuous when some of the sub-genres are so vastly different they're effectively different genres entirely.
Sure -- but we are talking Pantera here -- the simon-pure of the genre.

And then look at the top 6 (ex DT who I don't know). Not a laff among them. And what's the message?

Again you don't NEED these things. That's okay. But that's what I find narrow about them and why I don't derive much pleasure from these bands.

Sure -- but we are talking Pantera here -- the simon-pure of the genre.

And then look at the top 6 (ex DT who I don't know). Not a laff among them. And what's the message?

Again you don't NEED these things. That's okay. But that's what I find narrow about them and why I don't derive much pleasure from these bands.

Dream Theater are prog (metal) and do get quite heavy musically at times but also have a lighter side. They do use melody though. Their former drummer is one of the best around.

I find the idea that there's no humour or messages in all of Black Sabbath's work an odd idea. Anything invovling Ozzy involves some humour. Not that I care too much about such things: if it sounds good, it sounds good.

Oh and there's no maybe about Priest having a sense of humour.

Dream Theater are prog (metal) and do get quite heavy musically at times but also have a lighter side. They do use melody though. Their former drummer is one of the best around.

I find the idea that there's no humour or messages in all of Black Sabbath's work an odd idea. Anything invovling Ozzy involves some humour. Not that I care too much about such things: if it sounds good, it sounds good.

I think Fog explained before - but his version of ‘humour in Music’ is slightly different to the UK interpretation of that.

FWIW, I believe you can find plenty of studies that suggest the most intelligent music fans are those that like Heavy Metal.
Now you're overplaying your part..we all like a bit of what you like, but please don't try and justify it with the intelligence card.
The fact you head to the studies you half heartedly quoted tells me all.

Thanks for that. I will give DT a listen. Maybe I don’t know/haven’t listened hard enough to Sabbath. I certainly have to Ozzy.

You know who has a sense of humo(u)r? Blue Oyster Cult.

Reactions: OB1

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.