All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

Did they ever soften their sound at any point?
No, they did a cover of Planet Caravan by Sabbath which is really good though if you want to hear them do something softer.

After Vulgar Display they did three more studio albums which were similar as far as style/heaviness before the group disbanded. Anselmo has been in loads of bands over the years, Down and Superjoint Ritual probably doing the best although I haven't really listened to much new metal since around 2009. Anselmo is a racist prick.

Dimebag and Vinnie went on to create Damageplan (Save Me probably their most commercial sounding song, but I'd imagine just sounds the same as Pantera to most) who did OK - I saw them at Download festival in 2004 and they were good, Dimebag was murdered 6 months later (same day as Lennon, and also by a crazed fan - there's probably not a load of Pantera and Beatles geeks out there like me!) and Vinnie died a couple of years back.

Is that really them - actually adds to the curiosity in my review?

How did they discover that voice / style etc?

Seems quite the shift in musical style and appearance.........

from what I can gather, there was a gap in the market for when Metallica went slightly down a more commercial path with some softer metal - Pantera seized on this and went full throttle the other way and took a lot of Metallica fans with them

Is that really them - actually adds to the curiosity in my review?

How did they discover that voice / style etc?

Seems quite the shift in musical style and appearance.........
Dimebag was a huge Van Halen fan - he was buried with one of Eddie's guitars.

When Anselmo joined the band they went in a more aggressive direction. There's bits on Cowboys From Hell which are a nod to their past but by the early 90s glam rock was really dated.

Metallica, Megadeth and Slayer were the 3 biggest thrash metal bands of the mid-late 80's and they all had changed their sound with Metallica and Megadeth especially becoming a lot more commercial sounding. Pantera appealed to the purists I suppose, more aggressive than the way popular metal was going, a lot more groove to them too. I love both of these songs but compare "13 Steps To Nowhere" by Pantera to "Until It Sleeps" by Metallica both released in 1996 but sound completely different genres of music.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.