All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

Well getting a score from another thread is generally odd, I have no idea if the album is in the 1100 anyway but random isn’t a fan of the band picking their album. Also I have quickly looked through the reviews form the handful who contributed and it’s quite bizarre.

The first parts good but it’s too long and goes downhill in the second half was a general thing and the classic it’s not really my thing and i didn’t think too much of it but as others like the band I will give it a good score.

Don’t even get me started on Kashmir. Starts well this might go somewhere, will pick up soon going to end on a high, anytime now, wow only up to 4 mins seems forever. Tick tick fuck me how long can you stretch a riff out for. Wonder what’s for tea tonight? Hope the weathers nice tomorrow. 7 minutes must be time to wrap this up dud a dun dud a dun.......

Fuck this off life’s to short.

Greatest rock song ever kinell. Only saving grace it’s wasnt Plant making noises of someone being garrotted in eternity like whole lotta love.

7.4? 7 point fucking 4
Soooooooooooooooo, you didn't think it was all that? :-)

I’m calling for a public enquiry, corruption uefa Var Johnson and now this:-)

Bluehammer has taken a large brown envelope from a black t shirt jeans wearing long haired git
I’m pretty sure that one of the reasons BH will “lift” scores from the other thread is because most of the people voting on both threads are the same. So as he said, it wouldn’t make sense to effectively repeat the exercise in a second thread. I accept that there will be some posters in here who don’t vote on the album club thread and vice-versa, but generally, there’s a common core of posters.

Led Zeppelin aren’t my favourite band but in my humble opinion, they are far better than Talking Heads. The voters have spoken and it appears that they believe Led Zep are slightly better than Talking Heads.

I thought i was going mad! whilst alot of hot air there is some stunning Music here
I agree, just a fair degree more hot air than stunning music.

Is it ambient? Really, who gives a toss what 'genre' it is? I really liked this. I listened on a longish walk on Sunday with my earphones and there were certainly many parts of it that I enjoyed. Just playing it now quite loud whilst I carry out some mundane admin tasks and I like it even more. After the earache inducing Pantera this was like a complete breath of fresh Icelandic air - clearing my aural airways.
I will keep this in my Spotify library and will return to it again.
6/10

OK, fair enough. Forget the ambient thing. It's not ambient and it doesn't matter, you guys are right.

Let's go back to the song vs. sound band discussion. It's inherently harder to be the former -- it takes more talent I'd say. These are without question the latter.

And then we go back to the sit-and-take-it-in vs. get-up-and-move dichotomy. This is quite obviously the former, but what am I taking in that is different/special/unique/moving/stirring relative to other soundscapes? Having said all this I am always thinking in relative terms about music and it's a problem for me. I can't just sit back and enjoy without judging. It's a terrible quality of mine.

I mean, to me, this is Dark Side of The Moon without the beat, wit, sardonicism, instrumental talent, thematic connection or human connection. Or -- importantly -- the English. They should be renamed Pink Floe (cuz they're from Iceland! Get it?). It's their interpretation of angels on high. In a pop context that's an overreach. And no one on this record is Waters or Gilmour either.

I was the opposite of shocked when I found out later they did some joint work with Radiohead. Of course they did.

I’m pretty sure that one of the reasons BH will “lift” scores from the other thread is because most of the people voting on both threads are the same. So as he said, it wouldn’t make sense to effectively repeat the exercise in a second thread. I accept that there will be some posters in here who don’t vote on the album club thread and vice-versa, but generally, there’s a common core of posters.

Led Zeppelin aren’t my favourite band but in my humble opinion, they are far better than Talking Heads. The voters have spoken and it appears that they believe Led Zep are slightly better than Talking Heads.
You're dead to me :-)

Talking Heads
Remain in Light
2/10

Beth Orton
Central Reservation
4/10

David Crosby
If Only I Could Remember My Name
7/10

Def Leppard
Euphoria
2/10

Beck
Mellow Gold
2/10

Bad Company
Bad Company
6/10

Bob Dylan
Bringing it all back home
6/10

Aretha Franklin
Aretha Now
6/10

Carly Simon
No secrets
3/10

The Beatles
Help!
6/10

Rush
Permanent Waves
5/10

Leonard Cohen
Songs of love and hate
3/10

Crosby Stills & Nash
Crosby Stills & Nash
7/10

Frank Sinatra
Sings for Only the Lonely
5/10

Talk Talk
Spirit of Eden
5/10

Roxy Music
Country Life
3/10

Joe Jackson
Body and Soul
2/10

Madonna
Erotica
2/10

Violent Femmes
Violent Femmes
2/10

Metallica
Metallica (Black?)
6/10

Bob Dylan
Love and Theft
4/10

Derek and the Dominos
Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs
4/10

Talking Heads
Stop making sense (Live)
5/10

Pantera
Vulgar display of power
2/10

New Score

Sigur Rós
Ágætis byrjun
Going to give this to my mate who is going to Iceland tomorrow (maybe enhanced by the surroundings?)

There are some lovely bits on this album - I can generally enjoy the downplayed mood of an album like this (similar to how enjoy listening to Ibiza Chillouts or similar). Although it is generally used as a derogatory term, it can be used lovely as background music (which I don't always think should be viewed as a negative).

I assume that FC Kahuna either pinched bits of Svefn-g-englar to create Hayling or at least had it closely in mind when creating it (maybe it's me thats off).

When I listen to music like this, it can sometimes take me a while to snap out of it, almost as though I have been in some sort of trance (if you could bottle this and inject it into advertising, I'd be buying anything and everything in no time).

My one huge and main issue with this album is the length of the songs - Svefn-g-englar should be a lovely and relaxing 4-5 minute song that I put on as I draw the curtains back of a morning in my high end holiday apartment overlooking the ocean, as the sun rises bouncing off the beautiful cool marble floor. It has managed to end up a song that I can only put on very sporadically and probably skip half way through (how the hell do you manage that - somebody tell the band to stop playing ffs?).*

So whilst I can happily dip in and out of this, I can't enjoy the full length versions of the songs and collectively as an album as I should be able to.

With this in mind, disappointingly I think we fall at a 5/10. Bizarrely, a scenario where I am left wanting less although I do generally like their overall sound............

* I don't have a holiday apartment, but if I did that is how I would ideally envisage it and how I would start my days off without a care in the world :-)

Sigur Rós
Ágætis byrjun

My first time listening to one of these, probably not the best one to start on, although I did listen your number 1 so far and God knows how that's top either.

Similar to the post above, one of the big problems with it is the length of the songs, some of them can be enjoyed in smaller quantities but the 7-10 minutes makes them a real grind.

3 or 4 of the songs also strike me as best listened to tripping balls in the middle of a field in Iceland.

What limited vocals there are sound really good but some of the music lets them down and ruins the track. I think it's track 4 or 5 that I'm specifically referring too.

As for a positive, I have saved track 9, the song by the same album name to a playlist. I don't mind that one, I think it's the most balanced

3/10

Last edited:
Sigur Rós
Ágætis byrjun

My first time listening to one of these, probably not the best one to start on, although I did listen your number 1 so far and God knows how that's top either.

Similar to the post above, one of the big problems with it is the length of the songs, some of them can be enjoyed in smaller quantities but the 7-10 minutes makes them a real grind.

3 or 4 of the songs also strike me as best listened to tripping balls in the middle of a field in Iceland.

What limited vocals there are sound really good but some of the music lets them down and ruins the song. I think it's track 4 or 5 that I'm specifically referring too.

As for a positive, I have saved track 9, the song by the same album name to a playlist. I don't mind that one, I think it's the most balanced

3/10

nice review and welcome aboard!

Sigur Rós
Ágætis byrjun

What limited vocals there are sound really good but some of the music lets them down and ruins the song. I think it's track 4 or 5 that I'm specifically referring too.

3/10
Good review - Led Zep or Talking Heads?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.