Allan Clarke on the current City team.

Typical "in my day" bollocks. And English people out there still wonder why the national side has won sod all for 58 years.

Absolute drivel isn't it?!! For all the plaudits the Leeds of the Revie era got they only got over the line with league title twice. They'd be chasing shadows facing this City side. Unless, of course, they resorted to kicking lumps out of us like the thugs they were.

Absolute drivel isn't it?!! For all the plaudits the Leeds of the Revie era got they only got over the line with league title twice. They'd be chasing shadows facing this City side. Unless, of course, they resorted to kicking lumps out of us like the thugs they were.
We'd be too quick for them. Hunter couldn't get near Doku, Haaland or Foden. You can't kick lumps out of what you can't reach.

We'd be too quick for them. Hunter couldn't get near Doku, Haaland or Foden. You can't kick lumps out of what you can't reach.

There's always set-pieces. Do sometimes wonder when you get these ridiculous statements they just say them to try and stay relevant. I'm late 30's and I imagine most of my mates have never heard of Allan Clarke and his colleagues.

I get the money argument. That ship had long since sailed before our investment though.

There's always set-pieces. Do sometimes wonder when you get these ridiculous statements they just say them to try and stay relevant. I'm late 30's and I imagine most of my mates have never heard of Allan Clarke and his colleagues.

I get the money argument. That ship had long since sailed before our investment though.

They'd struggle to have the ball in our half to win set-pieces in the first place.

Like you said a ridiculous statement which has only been made because it can't ever happen.

If he really believes they would beat us
"...and then some...." why doesn't he lace his boots up with the other surviving members of the 70s team and a smattering of others from other teams and really put it the test? It's an equally sensible suggestion to his.

Yes mate. Was at both those games. Took one of my lads to the one at Maine Road and it was that cold it put him off going again for months!

Don't think he scored at home to Spurs but came on as a sub.
I liked all of Kendalls ex Everton buys for City. Apart from Wayne Clarke . I just couldn't see what this slow moving docile over the hill Dinasour added to to the team,lol.
When he lept like a salmon to power a header into the Trent end goal in our 3-1 win I went mental tho , forest being my home town team.

Allan Clarke: “I find a lot of football nowadays quite boring, I think the money has ruined it. In my day it was a more level playing field. Look at Manchester City. They are the best team because they have spent the most money."

“But I’ll tell you this, for all those millions they have had to pay to get those players at Man City, plus all those millions they have to pay them, that great Leeds side I was part of would bury them alive.
We were better players.”

He explains: “It’s all about touch and control. In our day, we stopped the ball dead. Our team at Leeds was a league team but we were all internationals.”

Lol!

Leeds were a great side at that time, but City would beat them at least 10-0
He was known as sniffer Clarke. I hate to think what he’s been sniffing today

They'd struggle to have the ball in our half to win set-pieces in the first place.

Like you said a ridiculous statement which has only been made because it can't ever happen.

If he really believes they would beat us
"...and then some...." why doesn't he lace his boots up with the other surviving members of the 70s team and a smattering of others from other teams and really put it the test? It's an equally sensible suggestion to his.

His team didn't beat the teams around them at the time they were playing, they were nowhere near the best team in the generation they played in.

73/74 winners
74/75 9th
75/76 5th
76/77 10th
77/78 9th
78/79 5th

It sniffs of scouse.

Bearing in mind this was their hayday.

Last edited:
Football quite boring these days !? Anyone that remembers City v Leeds late 1980 when Kevin Reeves scored a cracking late winner will not forgot it being one of, if not the, most boring teams ever to play football spending the whole game passing back to their keeper. Leeds manager that day ? One Alan Clarke !
I remember counting over 20 back-passes, in the 2nd half, so struck was I with the no of times they did it in the first. That Reeves goal was the sweetest justice ever.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.