Allan Clarke on the current City team.

I think a mid table League 1 team today would beat that Leeds team, even if the backpass rule wasn’t applied, as long as the game was refereed to current mores. Otherwise it’s slightly akin to comparing the efficacy of a musket to a rifle as the Leeds players would simply foul their way to a visually unappealing victory.

It’s also worth noting that Clarke was responsible for one of the most negative performances at City in the last 50 years when his Leeds team came to Maine Road in the early ‘80s and played for a draw from the outset, with Kevin Reeves thankfully scoring a late winner - so the **** has no grounds to pontificate about burying any team alive - as his instinct as a manager, which will have been forged as a player with Leeds, was to win by preventing the opposition from playing, rather than actually beating them on merit.

Dirtiest team I’ve even seen. So no they wouldn’t beat this team , only thing they would do is kick us to fuck, the whole team were cheats.

You only have to look at the last Leeds team to win the league in 91/92.

Go through that squad man for man, even allowing for an adjustment for modern day fitness etc, you’d struggle to find more than a handful who’d get in a decent Championship side today.
And if you looked at that last Leeds team to win the league in 91/92
You'd find many of the names of ' champions ' who got smashed 4nil at Maine road, two seasons running.

Allan Clarke: “I find a lot of football nowadays quite boring, I think the money has ruined it. In my day it was a more level playing field. Look at Manchester City. They are the best team because they have spent the most money."

“But I’ll tell you this, for all those millions they have had to pay to get those players at Man City, plus all those millions they have to pay them, that great Leeds side I was part of would bury them alive.
We were better players.”

He explains: “It’s all about touch and control. In our day, we stopped the ball dead. Our team at Leeds was a league team but we were all internationals.”

Lol!

Leeds were a great side at that time, but City would beat them at least 10-0
A Yoder doing what yoders do

1715661125715.png

His brother Wayne should give him a slap, probably miss though.

I did like Eddie Gray as a player, very skilful.
The only thing Wayne Clarke did for us was score a fine predatory header away at forest in a 3- 1 win under Kendall I think
The year after the Gary Crosby Any Dibble debacle. ....( shudders )
Think he got one against spurs at home too, beat them playing in away burgundy strip at Maine rd iirc

The only thing Wayne Clarke did for us was score a fine predatory header away at forest in a 3- 1 win under Kendall I think
The year after the Gary Crosby Any Dibble debacle. ....( shudders )
Think he got one against spurs at home too, beat them playing in away burgundy strip at Maine rd iirc
Yes mate. Was at both those games. Took one of my lads to the one at Maine Road and it was that cold it put him off going again for months!

Don't think he scored at home to Spurs but came on as a sub.

Last edited:
LOL!

Rodney Marsh had it right in 1976 when asked about the football played in England after his move to the USA.

"Football in England is a grey game, played on grey days by grey people".

Too many people, like the Luddite Clarke, look back with fond memories but in reality our football was agricultural!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.