Alternative striker options

Would any of you who watch a lot of other leagues possibly make a short list of likely/possible targets please. I fully hold my hands up to not watching much outside the prem so my knowledge is limited. I prefer not to use generic google searches, i can get a better feel from you lot on here :-D
It's difficult to combine a list of possible targets, as the club hardly leaks any info.

So, we can only speculate. Looking likely (and logical) that City will try to add 1 versatile forward and 1 winger/inside forward next summer. My personal shortlist right now (it can change any time ;))

Forwards:
- Griezmann, 26 - experienced worldclass forward, moves across the forward line, can play as 'false 9'. The downside is his poor current scoring form, but that can be explained by team issues. Pep is his admirer since Sociedad days.
- Werner, 21 - same kind of player, but younger. Less quality, less experience. Would be a 'project signing', like Gabriel Jesus. German NT's best forward. The problem is, as always, Bayern.
- Aubameyang, 28 - looks to be on his way to Arsenal.

The only better players of this type that I know are Mbappe, Dembele, Martial, Sanchez, but they're hardly gettable, next summer at least.
Can't see Pep going after 'pure' 9 for the reasons I've mentioned in the post above.

Wingers:
- Sabitzer, 23 (RW/LW/AM). City were linked with him recently. Technically he's not that impressive, but is very consistent in execution of simple moves and seems to have a brain of a top player. Very Pepish candidate. It's hard to beat @Dax777 's description - 'poor man's De Bruyne'. Pep has a good source of info on him, as RBL's coach Hasenhuttl is his friend. Named as Bundesliga's best AM for 2017 by Kicker.
- Gelson Martins, 22 (RW) - pacy dribbler from Sporting, good rotational option for Raz and Sane. Was linked with City last summer. If you watched Kingsley Coman - it's his carbon copy. 5 goals, 4 assists in 19 games.
- Leon Bailey, 20 (LW) - tall and powerfull winger from Leverkusen. 6 goals, 4 assists in 15 games. Not the most technical one, but physically he's a beast.
- Goncalo Guedes, 21 (RW/LW) - more like a dream signing. Fast powerful winger, most talented one in Europe on par with Sane. But he's contracted to PSG, so is unlikely to be available for City even if PSG sell due to FFP issues.
- Richarlison, 20 (LW) - hardworking pressing winger. Everyone watching PL knows his qualities. 5 goals, 7 assists in 23 games. Will undoubtedly improve his stats once he sorts out finishing.
- Justin Kluivert, 18 (LW/AM) - future worldbeater, perhaps too young to move and make impact on a highest level.

AMs (not sure that Pep fancies players of this type, he usually transforms them either into forwards/wingers or 8s):
- Paolo Dybala, 24 - 14 goals, 3 assists in 19 games. Bluemoon members seem to fancy him, personally can't see him fitting in and playing in strikerless formations. His movement doesn't look good enough for me, needs pure 9 alongside to be effective. Fantastic goalscorer that lacks flexibility. Would be very expensive as well.
- Nabil Fekir, 24 - good dribbler and goalscorer. 15 goals+4 assists in 18 games (!). ACL injury is the only reason he still plays in France.
- Malcom, 20 - inside forward from Bordeaux. 7 goals, 5 assists in 20 games. Scores only long-range screamers :)
- Amine Harit, 20 - 'poor man's Coutinho' from Schalke. Very good dribbler. 2 goals+5 assists in 17 games. Not good enough to play for City just yet.

Last edited:
Fekir would be my choice only seen him for 45 mins this week but looked excellent.

Those saying Balo for the season, much as I love him, his ship has sailed and if anyone could replicate the Rodney Marsh issues on the run-in in 71/72 it's him unfortunately.

Video of Werner terrorizing his 'favourite' team, Freiburg. Depicts his finishing ability very well.

I always liked him.
Seeing him through the youth/EDS teams which I know you’ve seen more of, it I always thought he was a cut above.
However seeing him in the first team I was not impressed by his first touch.

I thought it would come and he was still an impressive goal scorer. He always made the right run and had a poachers instinct, but Pep just didn’t fancy him.

Probably not st the right club now but I still think the guy is a natural goal scorer.

Just didn’t fit with us it seems.
Pity for the lad.

I wish him well.

I hope he turns it round somewhere.

He was one of the big talents in world football then his career more or less stopped by no fault of his own. While he was sat on his arse, people like Sterling & Sané were playing first team football at the same age.

Ironically, until that time, he wasn't actually a cf, he was more a creative No 10 who just happened to score a lot of goals, which might have been the ideal player for Pep.

The first touch problems started here. Probably just down to trying too hard.

I think that’s the point he was making though. We do need another attacking option, but he wants one who can play across the front three (like Sanchez) rather than an out and out centre forward.

Yeah i get that...he wants someone who isn't a fixed number 9.

Kun has made huge strides in his overall game under Pep..he has made him a better player but you can see that Kun isn't ideally suited for that. As an out and out striker he is as good as they come. My point was i think Pep wants attackers who can play across the front line and roam/interchange but who also are as deadly at finishing as Aguero.....they are rare. My point about sterling stands; despite the strides he has made under Pep he hasn't and I don't think he ever will have what Ive heard Pep refer to as having that natural scent for goal that Kun has and Maybe GJ has. I don't think Sane has it but I can see him developing it. He reminds me of (unfortunately) fake ronaldo (without the aerial prowess - well no evidence of ut yet but then again rodnaldo didnt show it in his early career)

Im sort of hoping that Pep digs up another gem from somewhere for his other attacking player he wants....someone who is a cross between Auger's deadly finishing an the adaptability of GJ and dribbling ability of a sterling - that would be some player!

I think that’s the point he was making though. We do need another attacking option, but he wants one who can play across the front three (like Sanchez) rather than an out and out centre forward.
Do you think that’s rules out Griezmann or Dybala?

Yep that's the way I read it, Pep likes versatility and players that can play in at least two positions, this is also the reason (dare I say it) why I can see Aguero being replaced in the summer.
I think though if Aguero went we would want 2 attackers in, 4 for 3 positions is still a bit light. Still expect to see one in and Aguero see out his last year before going home. I don't see Bernardo as part of the front 3 long term.

Fekir would be my choice only seen him for 45 mins this week but looked excellent.

Those saying Balo for the season, much as I love him, his ship has sailed and if anyone could replicate the Rodney Marsh issues on the run-in in 71/72 it's him unfortunately.

45 mins - we’ll that was long enough for Arry Redknapp to goes balls deep for a player on many occasions - Triific

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.