An out-and-out winger

20sbc07 said:
I don't think Mancini wants wingers, it's not the way we play.
I think he want's to play the same way Barcelona do, I only saw the first half last night but they played the same way as us, the only difference was they were a lot more skillful and quicker and getting through a packed defence than we are.

Exactly this. I absolutely agree. Having watched them against Milan, Barcelona is just a pacier, more skillful version of us. We practically play in a very similiar manner. But everything goes through Messi to be honest. He is the only reason there is such a gulf in quality.

However, the way Barca play - taking us a reference - is exactly why I dont think they'd be as successful in the Premier League and the reason why they have fallen short in the La Liga so far. The just tend dont have enough dimensions of attack unlike world beating teams like Real Madrid. Even Man Utd are only strongest on the wings but this opens up space near the box for Giggs to run into and for Rooney to make space and shoot. And just from quality crosses, United have gotten a goal from nowhere plenty of times this season. Just think of the FA cup match at our place for example.

Thats why we need at least one quality winger to complement our attack and help us moving forward.

pauljv92 said:
20sbc07 said:
I don't think Mancini wants wingers, it's not the way we play.
I think he want's to play the same way Barcelona do, I only saw the first half last night but they played the same way as us, the only difference was they were a lot more skillful and quicker and getting through a packed defence than we are.

Exactly this. I absolutely agree. Having watched them against Milan, Barcelona is just a pacier, more skillful version of us. We practically play in a very similiar manner. But everything goes through Messi to be honest. He is the only reason there is such a gulf in quality.

However, the way Barca play - taking us a reference - is exactly why I dont think they'd be as successful in the Premier League and the reason why they have fallen short in the La Liga so far. The just tend dont have enough dimensions of attack unlike world beating teams like Real Madrid. Even Man Utd are only strongest on the wings but this opens up space near the box for Giggs to run into and for Rooney to make space and shoot. And just from quality crosses, United have gotten a goal from nowhere plenty of times this season. Just think of the FA cup match at our place for example.

Thats why we need at least one quality winger to complement our attack and help us moving forward.

Agree with the last line, maybe we need someone who will compliment Adam Johston, or even replace him all together with someone who has more pace and trickery??????............

I'm sorry but I want my winger to be fast, and multi-dimensional. Not simply a crosser.

If you want a good sprint, sprint crosser as I like to call them, go buy Matt Jarvis.

Our issue is not crossing (though variety will help), it's that we are very narrow.

It's youtube highlights but fuck me, if anyone has TEN MINUTES of quality highlights, they're probably good ;-). Look at how he stretches defences when he attacks the box, making the back line scramble. Notice how he will beat players to start counters, etc.

Ladies and gentlemen, THIS is the epitome of the modern winger:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qld0gVA2LTY[/youtube]

Even Valencia isn't the sprint, sprint cross type I despise.

Watch him next time and you'll be surprised how often he'll attack the box to lay off a pass, cut inside, etc. He does have a mean cross in his artillery, however. Him being very well rounded is what makes him a threat anywhere on the pitch. I wonder if he likes blue...

Jumanji:

Look at the youtube clip of Di Maria. On virtually every clip he is attacking a defence that is wide open, probably chasing a game with lots of space to dribble into and players throwing themselves into challenges. That won't help us, AJ is exactly that sort of player if maybe nowhere near the quality of Di Maria. Di Maria is going to face exactly the same problems as AJ when teams are sat back deep and doubling up on him stopping him cutting inside.

1. Vladimir Weiss

2. Gai Assulin

3. Joan Roman

4. Alex Henshall

5. Jeremy Helan

6. Adam Drury

7. Bradley Robinson

8. George King

Why look further afield when we have some decent ones already at the club?

wrighty1234 said:
Arjen Robben

Is an injury prone winger really worth it? We need one that's reliable innit? Or else we might struggle playing in that style during the times that he is injured.

Pughie said:
1. Vladimir Weiss

2. Gai Assulin

3. Joan Roman

4. Alex Henshall

5. Jeremy Helan

6. Adam Drury

7. Bradley Robinson

8. George King

Why look further afield when we have some decent ones already at the club?

Some of these lads haven't even reached reserve level regularly yet and play in the under-18s, there is no way they're ready.

Weiss might be able to play a part as a squad player but he is not a top class winger and we'd still need someone better.

Roman might be worth a run in cup games but for now a loan move is better for him just to gauge how good he is currently.

Assulin isn't really a winger and is currently struggling for a game at Portsmouth.

Helan made no impression on loan at League One side Carlisle and is not good enough to play for our first team.

Henshall has potential but really, a player still inconsistent at under-18s level playing in the Premier League?

George King is being released by the club.

I'm all for giving kids a chance but for a winger, we'll have to buy as we have no real standouts in this position at youth level. If we had someone like Raheem Sterling or Nathan Redmond in our youth system then yeah...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.