An out-and-out winger

get class winger in hazard/di maria and also a cheap back up in hoilett or bring back weiss and give him a chance.

rat boy, of all people has exposed our attacking weaknesses. It's classy and technical, but teams are now prepared for our patient build up play and our looping FBs. We need other attacking styles- rapid counter attacks just like Napoli did to us, and more pace and width to stretch defenses and give space to our creative midfielders. Mancini has his players a little too well drilled, they need to break the mold.

fatbloke said:
We need a winger who delivers consistant, quality crosses. We have AJ, Silva, and Nasri who are all great at creating space in central areas and providing cut backs and through balls but what we haven't got is someone who will simply take a touch and whip a ball in between the goalkeeper and defenders. It's not always pretty but I don't give a fuck how the ball ends up in the net whether it's a 35 yard screamer like Yaya's at the weekend or bundled over the line by Dzeko's nut sack. Them scum bastards down the road don't have anywhere near the class of Silva, Nasri and Yaya in central areas but what they do have is Valencia, Nani and Young providing a constant stream of crosses and they've scored nearly as many as us now I think. That just proves that their is no right or wrong way, just that you need to equip yourselfs with as many options as possible to get a goal. Buying a winger who runs at the fullback and cuts inside gives us nothing more than we've already got, buying a winger who gives us the option to whip in an early ball before the opposition defence is settled will.
That's the type of winger you want? The traditional, sprint, sprint cross type of winger?

Matt Jarvis is your man ;)<br /><br />-- Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:48 pm --<br /><br />And I'm sorry, Silva and Nasri don't provide cutbacks like you suggested. You have to beat a man and attack towards the box to even get in a position to cutback. They're not that sort of player.

If you noticed, the majority of our cutbacks come from overlapping fullbacks. Primarily Micah.

yes we need a winger to draw defenders wide and free space up down the middle, beating a defender free's a player up and gives space for attackers. The width will make a big difference, would rather see a winger run in to the box and cause mahem than cross, when AJ or richards do this it cuts defence up and we get goals..

Get the singing loud as fuk again saturday like the chelsea game, spared the lads on and best atmosphere for a long time, come on if we want that title !!!!

pauljv92 said:
What viable option would you guys suggest that we buy in the summer? I think we need an out and out winger (very much unlike johnno). But the options we have looked at dont really seem like that to me. Hazard seems to be more of an CAM, who cuts in alot, is very tricky and has an eye for a goal. This is based on the videos of him and analysis of him I am reading. Milos Krasic seems decent because of his pace and we would be able to get him for 15 million euros. But his crossing ability isn't great apparently. Bale would be the perfect match, he is just a fucking amazing player. But because we have fucking Levy to deal with im absolutely certain he wont be coming to us, especially, for any less than 50 million quid. Gaitan is also one to consider but it seems he will cost quite a bit, in the range of 40 million euros. So who do you folks think is the perfect option we should be looking at, taking into account all the main factors such as crossing ability, speed and value for money (due to FFP)?
Decent post mate until you mention Bale. The most over-rated player in the country.

Jumanji said:
fatbloke said:
We need a winger who delivers consistant, quality crosses. We have AJ, Silva, and Nasri who are all great at creating space in central areas and providing cut backs and through balls but what we haven't got is someone who will simply take a touch and whip a ball in between the goalkeeper and defenders. It's not always pretty but I don't give a fuck how the ball ends up in the net whether it's a 35 yard screamer like Yaya's at the weekend or bundled over the line by Dzeko's nut sack. Them scum bastards down the road don't have anywhere near the class of Silva, Nasri and Yaya in central areas but what they do have is Valencia, Nani and Young providing a constant stream of crosses and they've scored nearly as many as us now I think. That just proves that their is no right or wrong way, just that you need to equip yourselfs with as many options as possible to get a goal. Buying a winger who runs at the fullback and cuts inside gives us nothing more than we've already got, buying a winger who gives us the option to whip in an early ball before the opposition defence is settled will.
That's the type of winger you want? The traditional, sprint, sprint cross type of winger?

Matt Jarvis is your man ;)

And I'm sorry, Silva and Nasri don't provide cutbacks like you suggested. You have to beat a man and attack towards the box to even get in a position to cutback. They're not that sort of player.

If you noticed, the majority of our cutbacks come from overlapping fullbacks. Primarily Micah.

Wingers don't need to be quick, there's too much of an obsession in the English game about pace and power that means players like Aaron Lennon, Theo Walcott and the such like are classed as world beaters until we find out that they can't cross a ball and have no end product. The type of winger/wide midfielder I want is one who can deliver consistant, quality crosses above everything else, if they have the pace to beat a man too then great but the quality of service into the box is paramount. You are right about Micah (6 assists) providing cutbacks but that only adds weight to my point - we're not trying to cut that out of our game just merely adding another dimension to our attacking play. The best winger in the Premiership right now is Valencia without a shadow of a doubt even if he is a rag twat but his game is solely to provide crosses and 10 assists says it works, not all the time but we don't need it all the time because 80-90% of games we'll get a goal through the genius of Silva, Nasri, Aguero and Yaya through the middle. It's all about options, it's that simple.

I mostly agree with all you say here. But pace is a very important part of a wingers game I feel. And something we most certainly need to be productive on the counter

Johnson had that potential but is now playing the City way of short passes and no longer going at the full backs and putting them under pressure.

The thing about how we play though does not benefit wide players at all with our full backs, whether it's Micah, Zab, Kolarov or Clichy they like to attack and play more as wing backs. This means that they're running in the space of which the wide players need to run at their players. Often when you see Johnson wanting to go for a run at a player Richards is or equivalent is within 5 yards of him, which then means there are more of the oppposition in the small place giving Johnson no chance but to play it back or in field. Of which this frustrates me the most!

I don't think Mancini wants wingers, it's not the way we play.
I think he want's to play the same way Barcelona do, I only saw the first half last night but they played the same way as us, the only difference was they were a lot more skillful and quicker and getting through a packed defence than we are.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.