Status
Not open for further replies.
pudge said:
Dax777 said:
pudge said:
Very astute, seeing as he went for £32m+..,

Arsene must have gotten it wronged.

That alone was worth reading past "... Boyata..."
so about what we would be paying for Mangala? Sanchez would have been the better choice.
In your opinion.

Whereas the club and many others would rather sort out a CB.

Play a RB or CM out of position at CB or play the likes of Navas/Nasri/Jovetic up front instead of Sanchez? Tis a toughie

£25m, you didn't half try and hide any bias there lol
off-course it's my opinion. Just like your statements are your opinion. That goes without saying. Yet I have given the reasons why I hold this opinion. It is not out of left field. I know it is popular to find reasons to justify what choices the club makes, and that has somehow become a badge of support here. I don't feel the need to do that. When the club is done with its business, and it's time to play, ofcourse my support will be no different than that of any other blue. But I'm not gonna where tinted lenses and pretend I agree with every move, nor am I gonna pretend some good defender somehow is Shiite just coz my club isn't in for him.

It is my opinion that an attacking player, one of the type and quality of Sanchez was our 2nd biggest need outside of a marauding DM. I have stated above and on other threads why I believe this. And not too many have questioned my reasoning. Not even you, in spite of all the ridicule. That says a lot.

pudge said:
Dax777 said:
pudge said:
We know Nastasic is valued at about £15m how?....

You just ignored the point that was made by myself and another poster; as much as I rate Nastasic it seems the same may not be said of Pellegrini.

And again, the club have shown a willingness to have 2 quality players at each position; Hart/Caballero, Zabs/Sagna, Clichy/Kolarov etc so that rules out Boyata, Garcia and Sagna as acceptable CBs if one gets injured.
Komps, MDM, Nasty and Rekkik. 4 quality players for this season. Even if MDM leaves at the end, we simply buy then. There is no proof Pelegrini doesn't rate Nasty, that is even more a guess than Nasty being valued at 15 million.
Don't know who MDM is but if Demichelis decides to retire next season, why not invest in a good, young player the club have been scouting for umpteen months now while we can, possibly have him learn from ol' Marty, and save ourselves transfer fees in the future by getting possibly 10 years out of him?

Pellegrini obviously wants Mangala, and deems him and that position a priority, I'll stick with trusting him tbf. Also, seeing as we are signing a CB, perhaps that shows the club feel we don't currently have 4 quality players for those positions..
Should I say I don't know who ol' Marty is? Or perhaps the right to give our players nicknames only accrues to you. Anyway, nothing wrong with getting a good young defender. But when it happens at the expense of getting a game changer on offense, especially when you are set at starter on defense, it is always a bad decision. This is simply was tunnel vision on the part of the club. They missed a trick.

Dax777 said:
pudge said:
Dax777 said:
so about what we would be paying for Mangala? Sanchez would have been the better choice.
In your opinion.

Whereas the club and many others would rather sort out a CB.

Play a RB or CM out of position at CB or play the likes of Navas/Nasri/Jovetic up front instead of Sanchez? Tis a toughie

£25m, you didn't half try and hide any bias there lol
off-course it's my opinion. Just like your statements are your opinion. That goes without saying. Yet I have given the reasons why I hold this opinion. It is not out of left field. I know it is popular to find reasons to justify what choices the club makes, and that has somehow become a badge of support here. I don't feel the need to do that. When the club is done with its business, and it's time to play, ofcourse my support will be no different than that of any other blue. But I'm not gonna where tinted lenses and pretend I agree with every move, nor am I gonna pretend some good defender somehow is Shiite just coz my club isn't in for him.

It is my opinion that an attacking player, one of the type and quality of Sanchez was our 2nd biggest need outside of a marauding DM. I have stated above and on other threads why I believe this. And not too many have questioned my reasoning. Not even you, in spite of all the ridicule. That says a lot.
Except I have, if you care to actually read replies instead of making up transfer fees to aid your opinion..

Spunking £30m+ on a winger when CB is quite clearly a bigger priority, again as clearly reasoned before, would be stupid. Once again, those who wanted Sanchez are like those who wanted Fabregas; wanting him so that another club doesn't sign him. Or just wanting us to sign every good player that becomes available to feed their transfer addiction.

If we had £60m to spend would we have bid? Maybe, but we don't so the club has to prioritize and addressing a lengthy CB problem takes priority. One you said we didn't have which is what I'm arguing. Surely the signing of a 32 year old CB last summer after 1 CB went down injured and the attempt to sign Mangala in January are a sign that we do have a need that we're trying to address..

Furthermore, how are we not "set at starter on offence"? Christ, that even sounds too American when typing it.

Also, I referred to him as Marty as his name is Martin. Whereas MDM doesn't make sense as his initials are simply MD.

You are "wronged" to say MDM.

pudge said:
Except I have, if you care to actually read replies instead of making up transfer fees to aid your opinion..

Spunking £30m+ on a winger when CB is quite clearly a bigger priority, again as clearly reasoned before, would be stupid. Once again, those who wanted Sanchez are like those who wanted Fabregas; wanting him so that another club doesn't sign him. Or just wanting us to sign every good player that becomes available to feed their transfer addiction.
No you haven't. You simply spent your time harping on the irrelevant. Like the 25 million transfer fee for Sanchez. Even though the point is the same, the money being saved to purchase Mangala, would have been better served buying Sanchez. Whether I misquoted it at 25 or 35 million is irrelevant in the larger scheme of things. I was still referring to the money air marked for Mangala.
Further, saying CB is clearly a bigger priority without giving reasons why, is what's stupid. Actually you had previously given reasons why, I.e what if MDM hangs his boots after this season. Well we will need a CB for next season, not this, and the same Scenario will unfold anyway if we have to sell Nastacic. As for feeding addiction, same can be said of those who want a CB inspite of having a solid core at the position.
Not to mention, defending is more about organization, and attacking is more about talent. Given a straight choice to buy either, considering the squad we have, it was a dull choice picking the unaccomplished defender over the bonafied offensive star for the same money. Mangala will be MDMs backup, Sanchez will be a starter, now!

If we had £60m to spend would we have bid? Maybe, but we don't so the club has to prioritize and addressing a lengthy CB problem takes priority. One you said we didn't have which is what I'm arguing. Surely the signing of a 32 year old CB last summer after 1 CB went down injured and the attempt to sign Mangala in January are a sign that we do have a need that we're trying to address..
Perhaps you are the one who needs to read your posts closely. Yes! We had a need LAST YEAR. We satisfied that need by buying MDM, unless I am mistaken, MDM is still on the squad, and Rekkik is back from a successful year abroad. We solved that need by getting MDM, we loaned out Rekkik, who excelled in the Dutch league, and he is back. All 4 CBs are healthy, and behind them we have 3 other players who can deputize at the position. Hence, it is no more a priority than any other position.
Thus, in choosing to spunk 30 million on a team that is set at all positions, you and unfortunately the club have concluded it was a better decision to spend it on a player who plays in Portugal, is a backup to Sahko ( of the leaky Liverpool defense), who's performance was ranked over Chile's superstar, Ex-Barcelona , who's performance was ranked 6th in the Spanish league last season, has the dribbling skills that will help break down banks of 4 defenses we will see lots of this season. Sure believe the defender is the better choice. Common sense suggests otherwise.

Furthermore, how are we not "set at starter on offence"? Christ, that even sounds too American when typing it.

Also, I referred to him as Marty as his name is Martin. Whereas MDM doesn't make sense as his initials are simply MD.

You are "wronged" to say MDM.
again when you are done reading your post, you should perhaps read mine. As I already covered this. We are set at all positions, but more injury prone on offense. We are also more vulnerable when our best offensive player is down than when our best defensive player is down.

In the final analysis, Sanchez is 2ice the player Mangala is: neither is a need, so as wants go, it is silly to buy Mangala in a market in which you could have gotten Sanchez. Plain silly on the part of the club. The only legitimate argument is if it was the case that Barca's was never going to sell to City based on some historic animosity, or Sanchez specifically did not want to come.

But if it was simply a " we prefer Mangala, period!" Then it was a mistake.

I read up to "Mangala doesn't start for France" part and gave up, with good reason.

If you can't acknowledge and read the reasoning previously given for a CB to be a bigger priority than a winger then it's pointless; as you're simply going in circles.

richards30 said:
why can`t we do that with di maria then?? or isco? loan and buy next year?

cause di maria is worth £50m easily so why on earth would they loan him out

they've bought Rodriguez and will want to recoup most of the money by selling di maria

isco is a different kettle of fish, not many clubs are going to stump up £25m for him so more likely to go out on loan

Do we know for definite we weren't in for Sanchez? All I've seen is that Liverpool missed out as he wanted to live in London. If that's the case, a quick conversation with his agent would have told us there was no point bidding.

I agree that an upgrade at centre half was required more than anything attacking wise, however, when a player like Sanchez becomes available, I think you have to reevaluate whether your priories should change. IF Sanchez would have come to us, I think we've made a mistake, but there's nothing to suggest he would have done

bluesince76 said:
Do we know for definite we weren't in for Sanchez? All I've seen is that Liverpool missed out as he wanted to live in London. If that's the case, a quick conversation with his agent would have told us there was no point bidding.

I agree that an upgrade at centre half was required more than anything attacking wise, however, when a player like Sanchez becomes available, I think you have to reevaluate whether your priories should change. IF Sanchez would have come to us, I think we've made a mistake, but there's nothing to suggest he would have done

So you think we should have ripped up the transfer plan that we've had in place for arguably the last 6 months to sign one player who would just about get in our team and certainly wouldn't take us to the next level?

Fuck me someone has a decent world cup and all the fawners come out.

I would rather not risk pissing off all our attacking players as we had done in 2012 by chasing the likes of Di Maria, Isco, Sanchez. Our current crop are more than capable of equalling or topping last season's goal tally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.