Anna Connell

Gary James said:
There are so many myths related to football that much of the stuff that has been written about our birth (and indeed utd's and other clubs) is not particularly accurate. More records and information are now accessible today than only a few years ago, and these are proving that myths and stories have incorrectly developed.

There's a feature on radio this week about Anna - I'll start a new thread about it.

As promised, new thread:

<a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=168497" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=1&t=168497</a>

Not alot of people know this (nor care in all fairness) but....

I was christened C of E, but converted to Catholicism a number of years ago. My old man's a left kicker as is my wife and my kids so took the plunge.

Anyway, that's not the point.

The point is, I did not know (despite being there at the time!), until I had to get a copy of my baptismal certificate from Emannual in Gorton to facilitate my change over, that I had actaully been christened at St Marks back in 1970.

True Blue or what?!

I thank you!

Forza Manicni, forza celesti

tonytowers said:
not read all posts but it would be great if we named a boozer near the ground after her,bank of england for one,or rename the mitchells,is it still up for sale?

I'd read the other thread first:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=168497

Naming something after the Connell family might be appropriate - Arthur was our first President and the only member of the family we can emphatically prove had involvement with City. Alternatively, the key person behind the formation of a football side is more likely to be William Beastow.

tonytowers said:
not read all posts but it would be great if we named a boozer near the ground after her,bank of england for one,or rename the mitchells,is it still up for sale?

Erm..... Anna Connell set up her working mens group to keep fellas out of the pubs! I think she would be turning in her(elusive)grave if we named a boozer after her!!

Family History Library film no 101388, Volume 7, page 620
Lurgan, Lurgan in the parish of Shankill, Co Armagh

19 Jan 1857
Robert ROBINSON, 21, bachelor, weaver, Tegnavin
William Robinson, weaver
Jane HUGHS, 19, spinster, weaver, Montbrief
John Hughs, weaver
Married in the Parish Church according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the United Church of England and Ireland by license, Arthur Connell, Curate
Robert Robinson , Jane Hughs
William John Wetheral, Rebecca Curry

24 Jan 1857
William HUMPHRIES, 21, bachelor, shoemaker, Lurgan
John Humphries, printer
Elizabeth SOMERVILLE, 22, spinster, servant, Lurgan
William Somerville, mason
Married in the Parish Church according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the United Church of England and Ireland by license, Arthur Connell, Curate
William Humphries, Elizabeth Somerville
Edward Wilson, Anne Patterson
Just a bit of info on Arthur Connell,not much seems to have been done on his Irish roots.
It'd be nice to know if he had brothers or sisters & if they had children,we may well have a bloodline of the people responsible for our existence in Ireland.

bluemanc said:
Family History Library film no 101388, Volume 7, page 620
Lurgan, Lurgan in the parish of Shankill, Co Armagh

19 Jan 1857
Robert ROBINSON, 21, bachelor, weaver, Tegnavin
William Robinson, weaver
Jane HUGHS, 19, spinster, weaver, Montbrief
John Hughs, weaver
Robert Robinson , Jane Hughs
William John Wetheral, Rebecca Curry

24 Jan 1857
William HUMPHRIES, 21, bachelor, shoemaker, Lurgan
John Humphries, printer
Elizabeth SOMERVILLE, 22, spinster, servant, Lurgan
William Somerville, mason
William Humphries, Elizabeth Somerville
Edward Wilson, Anne Patterson
Just a bit of info on Arthur Connell,not much seems to have been done on his Irish roots.
It'd be nice to know if he had brothers or sisters & if they had children,we may well have a bloodline of the people responsible for our existence in Ireland.

The last descendent I have of his is a lady called May Wardrop (his granddaughter). She was living in the Midlands. When I get chance I'll post some info on here about the Connell family descendents etc.

It is worth pointing out that Arthur deserves very high praise for his role in West Gorton and Manchester. It was because of him that the issues of West Gorton were tackled. In recent years his daughter Anna Connell has received much praise, but the sporting side of St. Mark's was not really something she played a part in (more evidence comes to light all the time of it predating her involvement in the Working Men's group).
Arthur, however, deserves the utmost praise. Interesting coincidence - when Maine Road was demolished it was a company called Connell demolition that did the work!

Gary James said:
tonytowers said:

I'd read the other thread first:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=168497

Naming something after the Connell family might be appropriate - Arthur was our first President and the only member of the family we can emphatically prove had involvement with City. Alternatively, the key person behind the formation of a football side is more likely to be William Beastow.

Why not name the trophy awarded to the winning team following the season curtain raiser "The Arthur Connell Trophy" obviously there is the issue of sponsors missing an opportunity, so add the 'sponsored by' e.g. Forrestal etc.

pinkwheeltrim said:
tonytowers said:

Erm..... Anna Connell set up her working mens group to keep fellas out of the pubs! I think she would be turning in her(elusive)grave if we named a boozer after her!!

haha.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.